Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Multifunction laser printer with 1p per page running costs....

Search this Thread

Old 21 January 2016, 01:47 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts
Default Multifunction laser printer with 1p per page running costs....

Is there any good websites that make the running costs clear? Be it retailers or review sites.

Our old Epson CX11NFs are getting to the end of their life (fuser isn't getting hot enough on draft mode) and I'm chasing up modern replacements.

They currently work out at about 1.2pence per page for black prints using compatible toners and re-manufactured drums.

I've got a short list of replacements with similar running costs, but with so many printers out there its impossible to manually calculate each model's running costs i.e Use google to find the part numbers for toner/drums, find how many pages it does -assuming it true and then finding the cost of genuine and compatibles and then using that to calculate the pence per page with a speadsheet. Its quite mind numbing, as thats before even finding out if the printer is any good (stable drivers etc) and its assuming consumable prices remain static (which they don't).

One that caught my eye was this http://www.ebuyer.com/261459-samsung...scx-6555nx-see

It only a mono printer, but its running costs work out at less that 0.5 per page using genuine toner and drums, that's bloody cheap...over a year could save us over £500. But this is Samsung wer're talking about...so what's the catch...are they going to ramp up consumable prices in 12 months time, or is the printer going to croak and die after 100,000 pages?
Old 21 January 2016, 02:08 PM
brendy76
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've bought a xerox workcentre 3615 for our office. Prints very quickly compared to the old laserjets etc. Only downside is I've not found any compatible toners though it's a reasonable 220 or so for a 27000 page cartridge.
Old 21 January 2016, 08:50 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personally Kyocera is always my first recommendation for printers. I have only had cause to buy 2 in over 20 years - I only got rid of the first one because I dropped and broke the paper tray, the cost of replacement made it a write off at about 12 years old!

Currently working with a Kyocera FS-1020D which is probably now obsolete, only something like 20ppm but really cheap to run, never jams and is just a really solid device.

If I was in the market for a mono MFD I would be looking at something like a Kyocera M2035dn or M2535dn
Old 17 February 2016, 06:03 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Thought I'd follow this up: So, after hammering the calcultor working out running costs for a load of printers: I may or may not have done something stupid.....

Yesterday I've ordered two HP Officejet X476dw...on offer at ebuyer for £166.65 ex VAT (They've gone up by £60 today). These are basically inkjet version of a line printer...40 pages per minute (no moving print head).

Nothing comes close to these on running costs for that kind of purchase price....0.56p per page (ex VAT) using genuine ink. And 0.25p per page using compatibles. The only printers that could beat this running costs were over £900 to buy.

The next two cheapest was the Kyocera Ecosys at 1.072p per page genuine and 0.45p per page using compatibles (this includes the maintenance kit every 200K pages)

Then there was Xerox 6605DN which was cheaper on genuine toner (0.82p per page) but more expensive with compatible toner (0.58p per page).

The Dell C3765DNF came in at 1.15p per page on genuine and 0.587p on compatibles...that includes the drums, fusers, maintenance kit and waste tanks factored in.

And for £144 if it packs in, its no biggy in binning it and buy another...considering the drums on some of these above printers cost that alone.

Last edited by ALi-B; 17 February 2016 at 06:05 PM.