Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Not even Apple can make watches desirable

Search this Thread

Old 02 December 2015, 09:06 AM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not even Apple can make watches desirable

http://www.zdnet.com/article/what-un...tag=TRE17cfd61

Not even the sheep can get over the fact that smart watches just aren't really that useful.
Old 02 December 2015, 10:02 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

http://uk.businessinsider.com/why-pe...-watch-2015-11

im sure Jacks wrist is still covered , if he hasnt got tangled up in powerlines somwhere
Old 02 December 2015, 11:07 AM
matt-c
Scooby Regular

Received 118 Likes on 80 Posts

Just to balance the view.

Fully appreciate Apple Watch is not for everyone, however, I've had it and worn every day since launch.

I charge it each night on bedside table with the phone, this feels completely natural to do.

I've never been "annoyed" by getting the time off it, on the rare occasion it does not illuminate as i expect i simply tap it, again this feels normal and natural.

"Limited" depends on your expectations, compared to a regular watch how can it be limited? Compared to other smart watches? Not really limited is it.

"Performance" I agree that non native apps take a while to load, you will probably be tempted to pull out the phone and get a full featured app, although they do still sometimes come in very handy.

In my view, just having notifications and calendar directly on my watch provides all the value, everything else is a bonus and there are plenty of other things - controlling my music quickly as i walk to work in the rain no need to struggle with getting the phone out and dropping it as i hurry along - again it's the little things.

We recently started using Slack at work, now i get slack notifications on my wrist. The watch has saved me a number of times from missing important things.

Anyway 330 people, is that statistically significant?

No doubt Apple Watch 2 will be a massive improvement, but right now I'm getting plenty of value from V1.

There is massive potential in on wrist and wearable tech in general, it's only just starting.

Last edited by matt-c; 02 December 2015 at 11:12 AM. Reason: additions
Old 02 December 2015, 12:06 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

lol, funniest bit though is when 41% say they would buy the next gen one lol
Old 02 December 2015, 10:47 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Nothing makes news like a load of old crap!

Perhaps you should speak to people who actually own them, then take as read stuff like that.
Old 02 December 2015, 10:49 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by matt-c
Just to balance the view.

Fully appreciate Apple Watch is not for everyone, however, I've had it and worn every day since launch.

I charge it each night on bedside table with the phone, this feels completely natural to do.

I've never been "annoyed" by getting the time off it, on the rare occasion it does not illuminate as i expect i simply tap it, again this feels normal and natural.

"Limited" depends on your expectations, compared to a regular watch how can it be limited? Compared to other smart watches? Not really limited is it.

"Performance" I agree that non native apps take a while to load, you will probably be tempted to pull out the phone and get a full featured app, although they do still sometimes come in very handy.

In my view, just having notifications and calendar directly on my watch provides all the value, everything else is a bonus and there are plenty of other things - controlling my music quickly as i walk to work in the rain no need to struggle with getting the phone out and dropping it as i hurry along - again it's the little things.

We recently started using Slack at work, now i get slack notifications on my wrist. The watch has saved me a number of times from missing important things.

Anyway 330 people, is that statistically significant?

No doubt Apple Watch 2 will be a massive improvement, but right now I'm getting plenty of value from V1.

There is massive potential in on wrist and wearable tech in general, it's only just starting.
Stop it - a balanced view makes for a boring read!
Old 03 December 2015, 07:26 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

If they teamed up with a Swiss watchmaker they could be on to something....iTag Heuer? iOmega?
Old 03 December 2015, 08:17 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaun
Nothing makes news like a load of old crap!

Perhaps you should speak to people who actually own them, then take as read stuff like that.
considering the article was 330 iwatch 'owners' then i think it was talking to people who own them lol
Old 03 December 2015, 02:06 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Tidgy
considering the article was 330 iwatch 'owners' then i think it was talking to people who own them lol

Indeed, post a link to an article sampling actual Apple Watch owners, and the get accused of not showing a balanced view.....

Only on Scoobynet!
Old 03 December 2015, 04:30 PM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

And because it's been published means it really is a considered and objective "result".

If you believe everything you read, without question, as a matter of fact a view that can be extrapolated over a whole community of "buyers". Come on guys....

I don't know anyone that has bought one and thought it to be gash and not bother wearing it. In fact everyone I know has the same opinion in general as what Matt stated.... which appears to be weird. I'm talking approximately 30 people that I personally know.

I think the article is not indicative and that's my opinion.... which is informed by people that I know, as well as my own experience with their watch.

Remember, I'm not saying you guys are gash..... only the article and how it's being interpreted and presented.
Old 04 December 2015, 07:59 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Shaun
I don't know anyone that has bought one and thought it to be gash and not bother wearing it.
I do, I know three people who have since decided there is not real reason to have one (cost to use). I don't have an iphone, so I got the sony smart watch 3, it's an acquired taste having a smart watch. I think I'd like the iwatch but the price tag ..
Old 07 December 2015, 12:56 PM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I commented on here a while back that I was going to give the watch a miss due to its need to be tethered to a phone to work, but I was recently given one as a birthday present from Mrs DD.

And having worn it daily for nearly 2 months now I really like it. Much more than I thought I would.

But anyway, the article is hilarious.

It questions the impartiality of a sample of 2,300 Watch owners raising concerns as to a risk of positive bias, but then obtained feedback from 330 owners all of whom were dissatisfied to address this.

No surprises that a sample of 330 dissatisfied owners are going to be, well, dissatisfied.

People who don't like their Apple watch say negative things about it. There's a shocker...

Geezer, Tidgy, your dumbness knows no bounds sometimes
Old 03 February 2016, 10:05 AM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Talk about a David and Goliath battle! Just be careful when flailing your arm around when trying to pay for your coffee, they're not impact resistant any more...
http://metro.co.uk/2016/02/02/apple-...d-won-5658342/
Old 03 February 2016, 10:07 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

***** like that make the world a worse place. Reminds me of the fable about the US driver who sued Ford because Cruise Control didn't steer his camper when he made a cup of tea.
Old 03 February 2016, 10:08 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Mine's nearly a year old, worn every day flailing around using Apple Pay, not a mark on it.
Old 03 February 2016, 10:14 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Must be all them big ions lol
Old 03 February 2016, 10:16 AM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

I was quite happy with my Pebble (Kickstarter edition no less ) but the missus offered me eitehr an Xbox one or Apple watch for xmas. Since I rarely get chance to play on the xbox (kids and other stuff get in the way) I went for the apple watch. And worn it ever since . Get two days of battery out of it which is not bad, got a nice stand for the bedside table and it works..well as you would expect from Apple, pretty damn good.
Did a great job of replacing the Pebble which as it stood was already handy though I have been warned that if I wear it whilst working on the car or doing DIY the missus will disown me
Old 03 February 2016, 10:28 AM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JackClark
***** like that make the world a worse place. Reminds me of the fable about the US driver who sued Ford because Cruise Control didn't steer his camper when he made a cup of tea.
No it's people like that who stop big corporations making misleading claims in order to sell their products. A big win for the consumer.

Last edited by jonc; 03 February 2016 at 10:30 AM.
Old 03 February 2016, 12:14 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by jonc
No it's people like that who stop big corporations making misleading claims in order to sell their products. A big win for the consumer.
So you think cruise control should steer the vehicle?
Old 03 February 2016, 12:16 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

"A mars a day helps you work, rest and play" I ate one yesterday and it didn't help me do any of those things, should I sue?
Old 03 February 2016, 12:35 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

"A mars a day helps you work, rest and play" I ate one yesterday and it didn't help me do any of those things, should I sue?
If you feel you've been duped by the confectionery maker go for it and challenge them in court, it's well within in your rights. Good luck!
Old 03 February 2016, 12:38 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

So you think cruise control should steer the vehicle?
Did the car manufacturer make the claim it would? So you think it's okay for companies to make false claims to sell their products?

Last edited by jonc; 03 February 2016 at 12:41 PM.
Old 03 February 2016, 12:47 PM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

It's only misleading if you're thick. 'Impact resistant' is quite clearly not the same as 'impact proof'. The only issue I can see is defining what is deemed to be a reasonable definition of 'impact proof'.

Apples initial stance is quite understandable, the damage could've been caused by anything. As for the Judges ruling, it feels suspiciously like he decided to stand up for the little man.
Old 03 February 2016, 01:17 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by neil-h
It's only misleading if you're thick. 'Impact resistant' is quite clearly not the same as 'impact proof'. The only issue I can see is defining what is deemed to be a reasonable definition of 'impact proof'.

Apples initial stance is quite understandable, the damage could've been caused by anything. As for the Judges ruling, it feels suspiciously like he decided to stand up for the little man.
No one mentioned anything about the Watch being impact "proof". It was a question of its resistance. Normal glass could be deemed as impact and scratch resistant up to a certain level, but Apple clearly state, as a selling point on their website, that "the display is protected by a lightweight aluminosilicate glass that’s especially resistant to scratches and impact." I can't categorically state what the guy was doing at the time the damage was sustained other that what is printed. The Judge obviously was privy to more information than what is printed concerning the circumstances to make a judgement, and he judged it that the Apple Sport Watch description did not conform to the Sale of Goods Act. Is the Judge thick with his ruling, I'll leave that for you to judge.
Old 03 February 2016, 01:21 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

The company in question (Winnibago, not Ford, IIRC) had not claimed that cruise control would drive the vehicle without intervention. The case is used as an example of how companies must be very careful on how they word a features capabilities, so that they cannot get sued by people who are thick, or interpret it in a way never intended.
Old 03 February 2016, 01:22 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

should have slipped him a new one , like they would an iPhone

they just decided theyd trample the little guy
Old 03 February 2016, 01:26 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Geezer
The company in question (Winnibago, not Ford, IIRC) had not claimed that cruise control would drive the vehicle without intervention. The case is used as an example of how companies must be very careful on how they word a features capabilities, so that they cannot get sued by people who are thick, or interpret it in a way never intended.
Like the glass on certain watches are especially resistant to scratches and impact.
Old 03 February 2016, 01:55 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

I love it when you lot get your pitchforks out, it's a window into your personality.

'Trample the little guy" What, bloke breaks his watch face, tries to get a free repair and is told no. Little guy then takes Apple to court.

"especially resistant to scratches and impact"
This is his screen

This is what it takes to scratch the Apple watch

The Judge is an idiot.
Old 03 February 2016, 01:58 PM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No one mentioned anything about the Watch being impact "proof". It was a question of its resistance. Normal glass could be deemed as impact and scratch resistant up to a certain level, but Apple clearly state, as a selling point on their website, that "the display is protected by a lightweight aluminosilicate glass that’s especially resistant to scratches and impact." I can't categorically state what the guy was doing at the time the damage was sustained other that what is printed. The Judge obviously was privy to more information than what is printed concerning the circumstances to make a judgement, and he judged it that the Apple Sport Watch description did not conform to the Sale of Goods Act. Is the Judge thick with his ruling, I'll leave that for you to judge.
Read between the lines.

The guy "won" and Apple "lost" because Apple won't have spent £000's instructing a team of lawyers to defend an action that would only have cost them a few quid.

Undefended claims automatically go through as "won" irrespective of how meritorious the claim actually is.

Its a matter of process.
Old 03 February 2016, 03:03 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

I love it when you lot get your pitchforks out, it's a window into your personality.

'Trample the little guy" What, bloke breaks his watch face, tries to get a free repair and is told no. Little guy then takes Apple to court.

"especially resistant to scratches and impact"
This is his screen

This is what it takes to scratch the Apple watch
Apple Watch - Will It Scratch? - YouTube

The Judge is an idiot.
Seems to happen to a lot of Watch owners, they must all be idiots too...

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...rt=15&tstart=0
https://discussions.apple.com/search...tch+%2Bscratch

Quick Reply: Not even Apple can make watches desirable