Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Blackberry Priv

Search this Thread

Old 06 November 2015, 03:22 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Blackberry Priv

Could this be the phone that pulls Blackberry back from the brink.

Looking at the review, the specs are pretty top-notch and now uses a more secure version of Android. It has a great camera, a fantastic 5.4" screen which slides up to reveal a physical keyboard. I loved the keyboard when I had a Blackberry and are far more tactile than a tapping a screen. I hope to hell Blackberry finally sees some success springing from this device, it's great to have something a little different from what is currently out there on the market; blending the premium and security of Blackberry and the diversity of Android apps.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/11/06/b...y-priv-review/
http://www.cnet.com/uk/products/blackberry-priv/

Last edited by jonc; 06 November 2015 at 03:53 PM.
Old 06 November 2015, 03:29 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jonc
Could this be the phone that pulls Blackberry back from the brink.
In a word NO
Old 06 November 2015, 04:02 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Well the CEO said they will pull out of the mobile market altogether if it doesn't turn a profit in 2016. That would be a real shame, perhaps it's too little too late, we shall see, the specs puts it amongst the other flagship phones. Security is becoming hot topic at the moment and Blackberry have a great reputation in that regard which gives it a good USP against other Android phones. But then again, Blackberry's marketing sucks big time!!
Old 07 November 2015, 12:26 AM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been watching with interest since Blackberry bought Good earlier this year to see what develops.
Old 07 November 2015, 07:44 AM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

What will save them is if the corporate market buy into it instead of going down the iPhone route. It looks the best BlackBerry device I've seen, I've hated every BlackBerry device I've ever had to use.
Old 07 November 2015, 01:38 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Old 08 November 2015, 03:18 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it's too little, too late. RIM, as they were then, dropped the ball when the iPhone came out, wrote it off as not being a competitor in their field, and to a similar extent, when Android phones became popular they didn't see it as competing against them.

As execs in firms got iPhones, be it on their own initiative, or because their kids were getting them, the requests to support iPhones came into IT departments, then there began a switch from using RIM devices to Apple and Android devices.

MDM and BBM were big things, but other platforms could offer MDM, and as for BBM, eventually they released an app for it for Android and iOS, but again, too late.

There are probably quite a few large companies still using Blackberry devices, and they might be swayed by this. However, winning back a company that has already switched would be a very hard thing to do.

In a small way, it is sad to see what was a massive Canadian business fall so far, but as said above, for whatever reasons, they were foolhardy and should not have been so complacent to think there was no-one to challenge them.