Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

CCTV; A noob's journey into Hikvision IP-CCTV

Search this Thread

Old 04 November 2015, 01:42 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts
Default CCTV; A noob's journey into Hikvision IP-CCTV

Well I'm getting there...I think LOL

Just want some opinions to anyone in the know on this NVR and camera:

NVR: Hikvision DS-7608 NI-E2/8P
Cameras (8 of them ): DS-2CD2132F-IS

Basically what I want from the above is the following:

Record all 8channels simultaneously at 3Megapixels (bandwidth specs say 50Mbps, but its unclear if this is for viewing or recording, nor what frame rate ).

Motion detection and automatic flagging of files where motion has been detected.

Alarm input and output (to interface with existing exterior PIR system and possibly interface with a SMS text dialler).

iPhone and PC software that works.

Alternative same spec products suggestions welcome - especially any black dome outdoor cameras (almost all outdoor IP cameras seem to be white)

I also want to know if its possible to get weatherproof RJ45/Ethernet connectors; they will be behind soffits, but ingress protection would help against the damp atmosphere. And any online suppliers of them.

Final question; I have a choice of lens: Which lens for a 2 metre wide 10metre long alley . And which lens is better for a open space approx 15mx10m...I have a choice of 4mm and 2.8mm.

Cheers

Last edited by ALi-B; 04 November 2015 at 01:44 PM.
Old 04 November 2015, 10:26 PM
beanys
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can tell you Hikvision cameras are very good we use them at work for CCTV and Nottingham council have started using them and the hospital
Old 05 November 2015, 06:00 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

For price vs spec and reputation its seem to be the way to go. Just with the Engrish specs its hard to make sure I've picked the best models.
Old 05 November 2015, 06:36 PM
Allan
Scooby Regular

Can’t offer any advice on the Hikvision but I’ve only ever heard good things about them.

I put together a system from X-Vision last year, I’ve been very pleased with the quality/functionality with an excellent iphone app and web interface, which is important to me as it’s based at a remote location. I had to give up getting the motion detection working reliably, despite the best efforts of the supplier and manufacturer.

I have a separate network switch/POE injector to the NVR, the fan on the network switch is very noisy and would need to be changed if it were positioned inside a house. Also took quite a bit of fiddling about with DDNS and routers to get the remote access working.
Old 05 November 2015, 06:56 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

I think I may have contributed to an earlier similar thread, but didn't find the time to return to it - apologies.

Check the spec closely - a lot of cameras will specify the maximum resolution of the camera as megapixels - dont fall for this alone. Check the sensor size, all the megapixels in the world will be no help if the sensor cant collect enought light to give a good image. Would trade megapixels for 1/3" sensor.

Other catch is the camera may not be able to offer 3mp resolution when settings like back light compensationm or wide dynamic range are activated, this will often drop to 2mp and the frame rate will reduce also. I haven't checked that camera in your original post, as I am a bit pushed for time.

Check that dome cameras have heaters installed - also check carefully the power requirment for these - they are often in IP Domes, but normally need a power source other than PoE - typically 24VAC. Ensure the enclosure seals tightly especially where the cables enter - domes can be prone to condensation on the inside of the dome.

How long are you wanting to retain data for? I have 5 x 3Mp cameras with data retention set at 30 days, these run 24 hours a day, and currently take up 7.5Tb of storage within a RAID array on one of my NAS devices.

You will need additional space to playback footage at the same time as recording / viewing it.

How are you using motion detection - as a recording trigger or to mark the footage - usually a coloured stripe on the timeline. Is this across the line or motion zone triggered? and is it done by the camera or the NVR software?

IP ethernet connectors do exist have a look for hubbel industrial ethernet connectors. Personally I wouldn't bother, always installed my IP cameras with the connectors wrapped in three layers of self amalgamating tape. Keeps moisture out - provided that you take it along the cable at both ends - and provides a mechanical means of locking the RJ45 plug and socket together.

I will try to get back to this later this evening.
Old 06 November 2015, 01:45 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Cheers for that: Every little helps.

This the specs for the camera: http://overseas.hikvision.com/en/Pro...158_i5652.html

and NVR: http://overseas.hikvision.com/en/Pro...212_i5425.html

The sensor size is quoted at being 1/3"
Resolution, just quotes as 3MP maximum at 20fps no mention if WDR or BLC affects this

Heater, no mention of it, but when looking at pictures of it (via google images) with the dome removed, the dome half has a lead attached to it. edit: found a better pic- turns out the "lead" is just a securing strap to save you from dropping the dome/cover. Could I shove a couple of desiccant bags in there? It is IP66 rated.

Data retention? about 14days if it were continual, I would retain it longer if it was just recording event footage. I'm looking at a 4tb drive, as the price jump to something larger is pretty big, the NVR does support a second drive though so if 4TB isn't enough it can be expanded.

Motion detection is something I'm prepared to play about and experiment with to see what works best; I'd rather not have the system recording a load of dead footage. I'm not exactly sure what the camera or NVR is capable of in this respect nor how good it is. If it turns out I will have them recording all the time, then I would want event flagging (i.e I want to know who is knocking on the door when I'm out at work without having to sift through a load of dead footage).

I already have a existing exterior PIR system that triggers a internal bleeper and security lighting, that works pretty well and its a 12volt based system so the alarm output from this could be used as a trigger signal to the NVR, if the camera/NVRs own motion detection turns out to be too unreliable.

The connections aren't a biggy; didn't think of amalgamating tape Just being belt and braces after knowing how RJ45s can get temperamental in an a office.

Last edited by ALi-B; 06 November 2015 at 08:26 PM.
Old 09 November 2015, 09:12 AM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

any packages for that ? look good, Id say the 2.8 is wide angled Ali 4mm more distance....
I need to update my Swann rubbish... this looks like a good one

Tarmac can them dome cameras be fitted flush to a wall, i always get the feeling i gotta screw em with the base facing upwards like under a wood gutter... or can i fit it flush to a wall, or should i do bullet cameras
Old 10 November 2015, 01:33 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

There are a couple of packages out there, however I'm buying the cameras, NVR and cables etc all separately as the NVR in packages I've seen doesn't have an alarm in/output.

I also need a camera on the front door (outside) to view people at the door. I'm struggling to find some small and discreet; it will have to be fitted on a 30x30cm oak pillar with forms part of a glazed porch. 1 megapixels will do, but most IP cameras are white or too big or form part of an intercom; I don't want/need an intercom.

I'm also having to face painting the casings of all the other cameras with plasti-dip (or equivalent pealable paint) as being white, they'll stick out like a sore thumb.
Old 10 November 2015, 09:00 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Littleted
Tarmac can them dome cameras be fitted flush to a wall, i always get the feeling i gotta screw em with the base facing upwards like under a wood gutter... or can i fit it flush to a wall, or should i do bullet cameras
Only ever seen them flush fitted on a ceiling indoors - otherwise as you suggest under the the soffit boards or on standoff brakets.

You can fit some models vertically on a wall, you will need to ensure you have a triple axis camera.
- cable will need to be side exiting the camera enclosure and go into containment;
- with the dome exposed to rain in this way, the images can be obscured. Would recommend, fitting domes on strong standoffs for this position where they remain underslung and the cabling goes inside the arm, or go with a non-domed model.
Old 10 November 2015, 09:20 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
I also need a camera on the front door (outside) to view people at the door. I'm struggling to find some small and discreet; it will have to be fitted on a 30x30cm oak pillar with forms part of a glazed porch. 1 megapixels will do, but most IP cameras are white or too big or form part of an intercom; I don't want/need an intercom.
Dont know what your budget is for the door but the Axis P1204 is an excellent camera for discrete installation.

There are methods for installing cameras where they are totally hidden from view - PM if you need help with this.
Old 11 November 2015, 11:23 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Lens size - 4mm probably but look here http://www.cctvcamerapros.com/CCTV-C...ison-s/741.htm Hikvision do 12mm as well iirc.

Speak to www.headlane.co.uk They are one of the main eBay sellers of Hikvision stuff. They are based in West London. They were willing to discount from their eBay prices quite a lot as they don't have to pay fees etc. They are also knowledgeable and have the various lens sizes in stock generally.

The cameras come with the RJ45 connector in one half of a sealed unit. You need to build your male end on-site and you put the wire through the other end of the cover. As it screws in, it clamps. Huxley suggested connecting the RJ45s then put loads of vaseline in before you screw the covers together.

I have one wall mounted and chased out enough plaster to hide the plug behind the camera. Again, something like a silicon sealant around the back of the dome before its finally screwed to the wall.

For soffit boards, drilled a big enough hole to hide the connector inside the void - waterproofed as above.

Motion detection I found was a pain and turned off. Rain triggered it...

Once you've installed all the cameras, get a PoE router and use a laptop to set them up individually. By this I mean orientation as I found it was impossible using the NVR. Once you've done that, plug them into the NVR and its all done. Hikvision have some reasonable software for non-NVR solutions, use that.

There are a couple of Hikvision Apps around at the moment. Current iPhone is iVMS-4500 - that works with the NVR via the Hikvision DDNS pretty well.

The only thing that is a pain with Hikvision is that some of their instructions are not totally clear and suffer from Chinese/English translation issues. However, perseverance wins through

Last edited by Puff The Magic Wagon!; 11 November 2015 at 11:25 AM.
Old 11 November 2015, 11:16 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Cheers, think I worked out the camera angles and lens last sunday, happened to check the lens size and ccd on my compact camera and at full wide, it works out at more or less the same as a 1/3 with a 2.8mm lens.

I had a feeling motion detection could be a issue...hence wanting alarm inputs on the NVR, the PIR system I have is pretty good, except for one very overweight black and white cat that passes though the same time every night (doesn't pick up other cats, or foxes ).

Good to know the iphone app works

Tarmac, I'll take a look at the Axis camera
Old 12 November 2015, 08:25 AM
aberscoob
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Puff The Magic Wagon!
Motion detection I found was a pain and turned off. Rain triggered it...
Ha, ditto. And spiders, so many giant glowing spiders

Having IR illumination separate from the camera presumably helps with the above...

I had some kit from Camsecure [website, but based near Bristol] a few years back. They were helpful with advice, and the stuff did what I needed at the time. Can't remember any brands though unfortunately.
Old 20 November 2015, 10:17 PM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

What's the best bullet dome or turret I'm gonna get 4 hiks and a hik DVR the 3MP models with 4mm lens...

If I want to get somebody coming to my door which will be 3 M away tops should I make that one 2mm lens to push the distance away?

Thanks
Old 21 November 2015, 09:54 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

Based on my own door setup, I would think 3-4mm may be more like it my camera is less than a metre to the left of my front door as you face it on entry, it is an autoiris varifocal camera 3-8.5mm, I have it slightly zoomed in to have a person fully fill the frame to enable identification.

Old 21 November 2015, 10:08 PM
Littleted
Scooby Regular

Thanks mates gonna get me some hikvison ones with verifocal so like,yours... Just waiting to see how much he wants...
Old 25 November 2015, 04:34 PM
47 NAT
Scooby Regular

How did the OP get on in the end? I had a chat with the guys at use ip earlier about getting a couple of IP cameras, NVR and a few other bits and pieces although the Hikvision gear.
Old 26 November 2015, 09:05 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Ordered everything last week, from various places. Last piece of the jigsaw arrived today (NVR; wasn't in stock when I ordered), won't be able to work on it again 'til Sunday.

Spent last weekend crawling in the void-space (dorma bungalow) fishing through ethernet cables, getting covered in glass-fibre insulation and pressure bruises, three cables in, another three to go (ended up buying six cameras, as not sure if the other two will be needed). Just need to find my RJ45 crimp tool.

FWIW the Hikvision NVR with the alarm inputs/outputs is a bit tricky to get hold of - the exact model number of this is: DS-7608NI-E2/8P/A ("A" for alarm).

Ordered everything last Thursday:

The NVR and cameras ( DS-7608NI-E2/8P/A and DS-2CD2132F-I 2.8mm) came from www.cctvkits.co.uk delivered the cameras on Saturday and the NVR they didn't have in stock but said it would be in by Tuesday, it arrived today. Very helpful on the phone.

Cable and odds 'n sods (308metre drum of outdoor cat6 ); I prefer cat6 as the spine makes it a bit more easier to fish through without needed rods and it doesn't kink as easily) came from www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk. Delivered next day.

Hard drives (Seagate ST4000VX000) came from www.ebuyer.co.uk came Tuesday (free super saver delivery), I chose the Seagate over the WD purple as I just had a WD drive fail on me and give me several days of headaches sorting a corrupted registry on a computer used for company payrolls (of which the backup was corrupt), so with that still a sore issue, I've swapped allegiances.

I'll post up some screen grabs when I get it up and running

Thanks everyone for the help, may need some more; We'll see.

The front door camera needs more pondering. I think I may use a separate system for that: Something like this http://www.erahomesecurity.com/products/era-ring/

As it will replace the existing doorbell button, uses the existing 24volt wiring to charge it and still works the existing internal doorbell chime, only flaw with the above is it appears not to store photos/videos unless you pay for their cloud service (deal breaker; would rather it store it internally, on a SD card or store it on a NAS).

Last edited by ALi-B; 26 November 2015 at 09:26 PM.
Old 27 November 2015, 01:39 PM
47 NAT
Scooby Regular

That some nice kit you've ordered!

I spoke to the first place again and it was only when I was double checking there quote, I realised they weren't really listening to what I wanted. I easily chipped £50 off from buying bits and pieces, here and there.

I went for the 4 channel NVR with a 3TB, the DS2CD2532F 2.8MM, various cables. A bit overkill for one camera but I can easily add to it at a later stage once i know how well they perform. I ended up coming in at £380. The main exercise was to get a decent discreet camera hooked up and have plenty of storage with the facility to watch it whenever I need to.

It makes my current set up look Jurassic, which to be fair it is but I love the idea of this gear with POE! My turn to get covered in loft insulation soon ....
Old 06 December 2015, 12:04 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Just a quickie- battled high winds and got two installed whilst it's dry (not a good idea to install dome cams when it's damp outside ). I setup all the cams and nvr before installing, it wasn't hard but not exactly straight forward, considering it's supposed to be plug and play; I'll post some details about that later for the benefit of everyone.

Anyhow here's a night time screen grab using the iPhone app: not sure if it's full resolution (can't see image attributes on iPhone ) but it gives you an idea of the night vision quality. As you can see, it's a bit noisy, the infrared light is only good for about 10metres, addition IR lighting probably would improve it.

Here's another pic with the floodlight on (42watt ASD Smartflood):

Not much difference imo, I reckon a IR floodlight would make a bigger difference.

Last edited by ALi-B; 06 December 2015 at 12:06 AM.
Old 06 December 2015, 08:43 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Good morning - on PC now; The above images are full resolution scaled down on the forum...2,000px × 1,500px scaled to 898px × 673px )to view full size in firefox right click and click "view image".
Old 06 December 2015, 09:44 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Ok I was going to post some dawn pics grabbed from the liveview page: But I have problem.

I can't view anything using the main stream (2048x1536), it was working...on the iphone this morning, and it stopped. Using the lower resolution substream (352x288) still works.

I though it was the iPhone, but fired up the laptop; Exactly the same. So I did a soft reboot. No good. Did a hard reboot (turn it off and on), still not working : I've also changed my LAN access auto detect to 1000Mb full duplex just in case my switch auto-switched it to 10Mb (10Mb should still be enough for one camera feed anyway).

So I'm a bit lost on why its stopped working out of the blue

Could a dodgy crimp/ethernet connection cause this?

The only other time I lost the mainstream was when I went out of range on the WiFi to the point the speed drop couldn't sustain a video feed. But it always started working again as soon as I went back into range.
Old 06 December 2015, 10:24 AM
47 NAT
Scooby Regular

You're doing better than me. I've put the HDD in the NVR and can't get any further than that. All it does it bleeps like a smoke detector making my dog go mad
Old 06 December 2015, 12:08 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Ahh right...that basically means its not working LOL, its annoying as hell. This is the point I should say get everything working on the table/desk/floor before installing outside/intended location.

Plug a monitor into the DVR and go through the initial setup wizard. Keep a A4 notepad handy to write down passwords/settings (IP addresses etc). In the wizard it will come up with a option to initialise (format) the hard drives. Once the hard drive is initialised it should shut up.

The next question will be how to get the cameras working....in my case they only worked if I plugged it into my wired LAN and went to their IP address (default: 192.168.1.64), but plug them into NVR...nothing, nada, zilch. Documentation says they should plug and play...they don't (not for me at least). They need a few settings configuring first. If you have knowledge of LAN networks and subnets, it will come in for good use in understanding whats going on.

What you have to do (or I did) is plug the camera into a wired LAN (not NVR), go to the camera's default IP address (192.168.1.64), setup a password...that MUST be identical to the NVR admin password. Then enable DHCP in the network menu. After that, it will work with the NVR as the NVR's built in switch will then be able to access it. But be warned that once you do this, it will change the camera's IP address, so it won't be so easily accessed from that point onwards (unless you press/hold the reset button under the dome); The NVR will automatically changes the camera's IP address subnet to that of the POE switch (default 192.168.254.x) and disable the DHCP again after its successfully made communication. Also only setup/connect one camera at a time (as they all have the same IP it will cause conflicts otherwise), and keep the same camera connected to the same socket on the NVR's switch (number the camera with a marker pen).

Problem here is you need a power supply for the camera in order to get it setup...so use a POE switch or injector as Puff mentioned, or use a 12V adapter with a positive centre pin. A handy thing to know is the Virgin superhub's (netgear) power brick is 12volt with the same size connector and will power the camera. Which was handy as I've lost my POE injector (probably hiding with the "lost" crimp tool - after half a day searching I had to buy another one ), so ended up borrowing the Superhub's power supply (I only use it as a internet gateway as I have a Asus router to do my internal network).

Final point to note that I've found with the NVRs built in ethernet switch...you cannot bridge it to your LAN network. It had to be on a separate subnet (default 192.168.254.x ) and there is no way in the NVR to bridge it to your normal network. Its been mentioned on other forums, but what that mean is once the cameras are connected directly to the NVR, their own admin menus cannot be accessed. Its no big deal, but there are a couple of menu options inaccessible such as gain in the image settings, also fault finding - which is what I'm doing now....if you ever lose feed from the NVR, its nice to be able to log into each individual camera independently of the NVR to check they are actually working and sending a feed.

The only way to access a camera directly is to put another switch one of the NVR's POE camera connections and in turn connect that switch to your LAN. Then on a computer attached to that LAN manually change it IP settings (subnet) to the same IP subnet as NVR's POE switch (default 192.168.254.x), just make sure you don't give the computer the same IP as camera...basically any address higher than 192.168.254.10 will do the job. Its just a case of going into your ethernet adapter's properties, selecting TCP/IPv4 settings and manually changing the IP settings to suit, then change it back to auto when you've finished. This is of course a temporary solution, but very handy to know if you ever run into issues to need to access cameras independently (like me).

I probably could explain the above better, but its straight from the top of my head as I'm doing it right now. It seem my loss of live stream is bitrate related; I dropped it to 720p and one camera has started working. Other one nope...but it works fine if I access the camera directly using the method above...using the same cabling (plus two extra).

....I'm not alone it appear: https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread...m-for-Camera-1

Looks like I've to hard-reset the cameras, which is an **** (as I suspect by that it means removing the dome and pressing/holding the reset button).

Anyhoo, its stopped raining now, sun is out, so I'm off to install some more cams whilst its still dry. Hint no.258.....do not get fingerprints on the dome. I got a tiny finger smudge on the one dome and it payed havoc with the infra red image quality; with that in mind - they need to be in locations where they can be cleaned without too much aggro.

Last edited by ALi-B; 06 December 2015 at 12:09 PM.
Old 06 December 2015, 12:26 PM
47 NAT
Scooby Regular

I've plugged a monitor into the TV & laptop with both a VGA & Hdmi cable and it doesn't do anything at all apart from bleeps - which I've been doing quite a lot of this morning. No picture, no nothing.

I'm having a go at hooking up the 2325 and that isn't going too well either

Everything is laid out on the floor for the before a proper install for just in case scenario

Last edited by 47 NAT; 06 December 2015 at 05:19 PM.
Old 06 December 2015, 03:10 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Raining again, so I'm back

That's not good, NAT. unless the monitor isn't liking the source/resolution, mine just booted up and went straight to the setup wizard (whilst beeping every 30seconds or so).

Try it via the LAN, see if the web menu is working, IIRC DHCP was enabled by default, so you'll probably have to look in your router's admin menu to see the IP addresses of the connected clients. If you do manage to get in the web menu, I'd advise turning off the DHCP and giving it a static IP address

There is a disc with some software that's supposed to help you find the NVR on your network, but I haven't needed to use it yet.

Other than that I'm at a loss. Corrupt firmware?
Old 06 December 2015, 03:22 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Well, got my main streams back...I had to set the image quality to LOW. Anything higher than that at 2048x1536 and it just gives me a blank screen on the live view web interface. Alternatively I can have the quality set at highest with the stream set at 720p During all this I have no issue access the main stream if I temporarily bypass the NVR with a network switch and connect directly to the camera.

I'm wondering if its a NVR limitation? The only thing I can fathom is up until yesterday I only had one camera working. And by the time I got the second one up and running, it was dark so it was on night mode (black and white)....of course black and white uses far less data bandwidth than colour. So when I tried it at dawn this morning, whilst I was playing it switched to day mode (colour) and I lost the mainstream feeds. I suspect the NVR can't handle more than one source at 2048x1536 on a live feed. BUT, even if I select to view one source...it still won't work

So, darkness is looming, I'll try the same again tonight to prove my suspicion.

Despite all this, it still records everything perfectly, and I can play it back fine.

Last edited by ALi-B; 06 December 2015 at 03:25 PM.
Old 06 December 2015, 03:33 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Oh and for the life of me I can't get the HiDDNS to work (Hikvision's Dynamic DNS server).

Surprisingly the port forwarding all worked first time. Which considering I have two LAN subnets to forward ports through (Superhub and Asus router), I thought it was going to spit its dummy out. So I can get through from the outside world, just that I have a dynamic IP address, so its a bit useless until I get the DDNS working.

Thats for later...I'm back in the attic space above the garage to fish three more cables in, thankfully that's not insulated, just dusty and lots of spider webs
Old 06 December 2015, 04:01 PM
47 NAT
Scooby Regular

I managed to get the NVR booted up with the help from some of the guys at IPcam

Next step is what your doing now I'm done for the day as I spent too much time and brain power getting the NVR to work. Good luck for today and I'll tune in soon for the next episode
Old 06 December 2015, 05:11 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Its a good forum that

Now its dark I've just changed my image quality to highest...and guess what, everything is working fine. So for some reason its only a day mode issue.

Quick Reply: CCTV; A noob's journey into Hikvision IP-CCTV