Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

pioneer kuro vs new LED/OLED

Search this Thread

Old 27 May 2015, 12:38 AM
scoobysteve1983
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pioneer kuro vs new LED/OLED

after a little debate with a work colleague about the best tv I'm curious as to other peoples opinions. he has 2 pioneer kuro's and swears by them. I've got a samsung f8000 55" and i love it. i don't use the smart tv features or the 3d thing as i believe its pretty pointless. in terms of actual picture quality, surely technology has now surpassed plasma tvs, especially now that pioneer sold the tv patents to panasonic. opinions welcome!
Old 27 May 2015, 06:33 AM
Rapid17
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobysteve1983
after a little debate with a work colleague about the best tv I'm curious as to other peoples opinions. he has 2 pioneer kuro's and swears by them. I've got a samsung f8000 55" and i love it. i don't use the smart tv features or the 3d thing as i believe its pretty pointless. in terms of actual picture quality, surely technology has now surpassed plasma tvs, especially now that pioneer sold the tv patents to panasonic. opinions welcome!
Your best bet is to look here for information and reviews https://www.avforums.com/forums/tvs.104/

I've recently bought one of these http://www.johnlewis.com/sony-bravia...bar/p234462996 and am extremely pleased with it. Mine came with a free stand.

I had considered one of these http://www.johnlewis.com/lg-55ec930v...asses/p1719631 but I found when doing the research on AV forums many were returned for refunds due to pink and green tinting on the screen in certain situations plus other problems.

The sony I bought betters my 10 year old Panasonic Viera 42 inch 720p plasma by a considerable margin.

Last edited by Rapid17; 27 May 2015 at 06:36 AM.
Old 27 May 2015, 11:20 AM
jonnyboy82
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Im no expert but it has been said many a time them old school pioneers are the dogs danglies and for quality will never be beaten!

I actually considered buying a used one but opted for a new panasonic plasma instead purely for the latest technology. But assuming you had a video room and had this hooked up purely for movies/gaming I would imagine this would be hard to beat!

Last edited by jonnyboy82; 27 May 2015 at 11:22 AM.
Old 27 May 2015, 11:40 AM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

I must admit, the pioneer kuro was the best TV on the market at the time they were out, best black picture. I had one and later upgraded to a 50" panny which was very good against it, not much in the picture quality.
Now I've accumulated a 55" Bravia 3d smart for free so banged that up, the colour quality is better than the panny but the blacks is not as good. Can't grumble for no fee though as its got more features than the panny I had but I don't use them lol.
Old 27 May 2015, 12:59 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobysteve1983
in terms of actual picture quality, surely technology has now surpassed plasma tvs, especially now that pioneer sold the tv patents to panasonic. opinions welcome!
Excluding OLED which is still very expensive, even more so than plasma, I doubt it. The only reason you can't buy a new plasma TV any more is they cost too much to make and they didn't sell enough of them.

Man on the street isn't that interested in the picture quality, contrast, etc. They just want the biggest TV they can get for the least money. LCD wins hands down on this front.

Plasma were the preserve of those in the know who didn't mind spending twice the price of an LED for a decent picture but as we're in the minority plasma met its demise.