Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

USB woes. Can anyone advise?

Search this Thread

Old 06 April 2002, 08:59 AM
Gizmo555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't worry about duplicate USB devices. I get the same with 'some' of my USB game controllers and hubs etc.

With the camera check that it appears seperately in the device manager (I think it should anyway).

I have occasional problems with devices being recognised on boot up. Simply unplug them and plug them back in again (with the power on) and they should then get recognised.

I installed a USB patch - think it was from Microsoft but couldn't swear on that which improved connectivity for USB (might be for Win98 only). Things improved drammatically since then although still get occasional problem.

If you search at microsoft.com you may find some patches for USB.

Cheers

Mark

[Edited by Gizmo555 - 6/4/2002 10:00:44 AM]
Old 03 June 2002, 03:12 PM
uncle buck
Scooby Regular

Question

Having trecently upgraded my motherboard and case etc the case I bought has a scond set of USB sockets built in and the motherboard has some connectors to attach wires to these. As I don't need two sets of USB ports I didn't bother to wire them up.

Now, everything works fine except the USB ports!! When I look at the device manager I have two duplicate sets of USB drivers installed:

If I remove one set I have to reboot, then when I go back to the device manager - they've been reinstalled again

What is going on do you think? Any help appreciated.

Robin.

Old 03 June 2002, 03:14 PM
HHxx
Scooby Regular

Don't worry about it. The second set is from the un-used usb connector.
Old 03 June 2002, 03:18 PM
suba
Scooby Regular

yeah, if they are working, then just leave it.
Old 03 June 2002, 03:25 PM
uncle buck
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

sure, but I should have mentioned - the USB ports don't work!!

If I try to use them I get an error. For example I connect my camera and I get this:

The camera is ok - all this works without a hitch at work.

Can anyone suugest what may be happening?

cheers,

R.
Old 03 June 2002, 03:36 PM
Iain
Scooby Regular

The guys are right the hardware is still there so Windows will still install the drivers ( even though their are not connected).

I have some issues with my secondary USB as well, some devices will work others wont. My scanner and USB camera won't work on the secondary ports, but my USB printer will ??

Try moving the devices around the ports ( remember you can hot swap USB ). It may be driver related or you don't have the latest USB device drivers for you're board.
Old 03 June 2002, 04:47 PM
suba
Scooby Regular

Smile

ok, just to get an idea of your PC setup, you got usb port at the back and also in the front, correct?

the back usb will be from the m/board (no wires connection) and the front usb is via some wire/cable connected to the m/board. does the back usb work? or both back and front dont work?

if the front is connected via some wire/cable, disconnect them and try the back usb. you might wanna swap the wire/cable connected to the m/boatd pin (dunno how to say it but it's something like reversing the pin connection on the m/board for the usb wire/cable).

and lastly, check the BIOS that you got the extra (the front) usb port enable.
Old 03 June 2002, 05:06 PM
uncle buck
Scooby Regular

Suba,

Yes, the rear set are mounted on the MoBo as you would expect. The oher set are on the top - conveniently placed to fill with dust - these are not connected in any way.

The camera is the only USB device I have currently and this will not work at all, alhough when I plug it in the machine seems to detect it and comes up with "new usb device found" then seems to want to install drivers, which is strange because they are already installed with the picture download software that came with the camera?!

As I say, if I use the same software at work (Win2K as well) everything works properly. In other words when I plug the camera in he USB detects the device and auto runs the software with no complaints. Wierd....

Maybe I can set the BIOS to a single USB bus, but I don't really know where to look. Where would I find something like that?

R.
Old 03 June 2002, 08:28 PM
suba
Scooby Regular

as for going into the BIOS, hit the DEL key (on the right side of your keyboard on the numeric bit) and that should take you to the BIOS setup. i dont know exactly where about the settings for the USB, but just go through all the options and have a look.

do you by any chance got the manual for the m/board? if not lemme know what's the m/board what BIOS the m/board is using (either award? phoenix?) and i will try to look it up for you.

btw, if you got internet access on the PC, goto www.windowsupdate.com and check if you need any new drivers updating for the usb.
Old 04 June 2002, 03:04 PM
Ken E
Scooby Regular

Look on the website of your motherboard manufacturer at the FAQs. There can be issues with USB on various motherboards with things like which PCI slots your cards are in. Chances are someone else has had a similar problem. One other thing to check, did you remove the drivers from your old motherboard before upgrading and then install the new drivers that came with the new motherboard after upgrading ?

I've had problems with USB devices before, one of the things I have found is you should follow the instructions to the letter. Some want drivers installed first, some want the device plugged in then the driver installed when windows detects it.

If you haven't installed the motherboard drivers then go ahead and install them first. If you have then you could try removing all the software and drivers that came with the camera through Add/Remove Programs then going for a reinstall.

One other final thing you could look at is the registry. Sometimes you can get multiple instances of the same piece of hardware and this can cause problems. Remove the lot, then go through the redetect process. Remember to backup the registry before making any changes to it though.
Old 06 June 2002, 12:16 AM
Gizmo555
Scooby Regular

If it's an ABit motherboard take a look at viahardware.com loads of useful info there.

Cheers

Mark