Notices
Computer & Technology Related Post here for help and discussion of computing and related technology. Internet, TVs, phones, consoles, computers, tablets and any other gadgets.

Sysprep/VMware issue

Search this Thread

Old 03 April 2014, 09:51 AM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts
Question Sysprep/VMware issue

OK this is a strange one I can't work out.

I have a Windows 2008 R2 Enterprise vm I am using as a build template. So I have created the vm and the sysprep file and both of those are absolutely fine.

I then clone my vm so as to not lose my 'reference' vm and power up the cloned vm. I run sysprep against the xml file and the cloned vm shuts down and I then convert that to a template.

I now deploy vms from this template to build new servers. Now the issues I am finding when booting up the new vms are as follows:

1)The 2nd hard drive which was set to D drive is no longer initialised - it's present just not initialised

2)The cd rom drive had been set to Z: is now back as D:

3) The cursor can no longer leave the vm console window even though vmtools is installed and doesn't need updating - again was working fine before syspreping the clone/template

These changes only occur after sysprep has run on the cloned vm (the cloned vm before sysprep is identical as it should be to the reference vm so not a cloning issue).

So why is the sysprep'd clone which becomes the template losing the original settings of the D and Z drives and vmtools working correctly? It makes no sense to me!

The sysprep command I am running is as follows:

c:\windows\system32\sysprep\sysprep /generalize /oobe /shutdown /unattend:c:\windows\system32\sysprep\sysprep.xml

This command and sysprep file have been used on another build and worked 100% fine.
Old 03 April 2014, 12:03 PM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

I took out the generalize switch and it works absolutely fine

Sysprep seems to be a law unto itself as the generalize switch shouldn't knacker vmtools apart from anything else.
Old 08 April 2014, 10:57 AM
An0n0m0us
Scooby Regular

That wasn't the answer as the generalize switch is needed for resetting the SID in the OS so back to the drawing board.