Notices
Car Care Discussion on how to keep your pride and joy looking at it's best.

Scratches: To Paint or Not to Paint?

Search this Thread

Old 21 November 2013, 12:07 PM
Da Matser
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scratches: To Paint or Not to Paint?

Hi Guys,

I did have an immaculate Urban Grey STI Hawkeye, until against my better judgement, I decided to use a Shell Jet Wash. It was only an interim wash between my full-on snowfoam all-day events and I obviously didn't use the brush

However, to my horror, I later discovered that even though I had attempted to keep the hose away from the paintwork as best as I could, that the car was covered in scratches : the bonnet & scoop, front wing, A & C pillars, roof, cant rail, rear wing, rear spoiler and roof spoiler. So much for a contactless wash!

I later discovered the problem was due to the hose rubber coating being worn to the steel braid, which in turn was worn through, effectively turning it into a wire brush!

Shell later replaced the hose (but I obviously will never use it again) and I have managed to claim via the operators insurance.

Since then, I have had the scratches polished, so they are less visible and some have even been eradicated. I am told they can't be polished any further as the ones that are left have gone through the lacquer.

So my question is, is it now better to live with the scratches, which can be seen up close; or have the affected panels painted, which I am told involves removing interior door panels, door handles, re-badging, etc. and the potential problem of new vs old paint; e.g. discolouration, orange peel effect, etc. and the psychological effect of simply knowing the car is no longer 'original'?

At the very least, I will get the roof spoiler replaced as this has a special matt black coating and cannot be painted.

Any advice on my dilemma would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by Da Matser; 21 November 2013 at 12:10 PM. Reason: typo
Old 22 November 2013, 07:47 PM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are they so deep that you can catch them with your nail?

Did whoever did the machine polishing tell you what the depth readings were around where the scratches were?
Old 05 December 2013, 02:58 PM
Da Matser
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Bodski and sorry for tardy reply!

I've not tried to check depth personally, but both Flying Colours (drive-in, Coleshill) and Victor Valet (detailer) have said they are too deep to polish out, using the finger nail test. Don't know exact readings though.

Like I said, the polishing made a great improvement overall, but it's just a few deeper scratches that remain - but even those are not that obvious; I just know where they all are!

I am off to the bodyshop (Wyndon Motors Keresley) tomorrow to discuss what they intend to do, but at the moment I am thinking of getting the roof spoiler (matt black) replaced and the bonnet scoop painted, as that is an isolated 'panel' and has quite a noticeable scratch on the side.

Might be the best compromise.

Any other advice before I commit would be greatly received.