Notices
Car Care Discussion on how to keep your pride and joy looking at it's best.

Underbody treatment/protection

Search this Thread

Old 06 August 2011, 12:25 PM
JMCG
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Underbody treatment/protection

Sorry if this has been covered already, I had a good search and found bits and pieces.

If anyone has any good sites/resources for the above pls post.

So... I've an 05 STi ~45k miles. I want to underseal and protect the underside and confused on what products to use. Looking under it its not bad but I'd like to work from back to front wire brushing the metal work before etch priming? and painting with say hammerite (or alternatives?). I'd be doing this over the space of a few weeks in the evenings when the kids are off to bed or take a day or so off. Obviously I'll take the underbody plastics off to get at the steel components before eventually using a waxoyl underseal product (or alternatives?) to protect the floorpan. Final bit would be each wheel arch liners and doing each wheel. I'd be giving it a good powerwashing and letting it dry on whatever part of the car I'd be doing.

So,

* what to use to clean the metal, wire brush on a drill and then what to clean it from grease/dirt, meths?
* what to prime it with, I'll have no compressor so everything is brush (or spray on perhaps), an etch based acid primer?
* what to paint over the primer, hammerite silver/black smooth?
* what product to use for the undersealing floorpan/archs, waxoyl underseal?

Thanks in advance to anyone that has done this or has done this job. I know it'll take a while but don't mind doing a few hours most nights.

- John

Last edited by JMCG; 06 August 2011 at 12:30 PM.
Old 06 August 2011, 05:21 PM
DT-SPD
Scooby Regular

Ive done similar on my car.

Unless you are after a glossy finish then I think there are better products for rust proofing than hammerite. I used hammerite on my rear anti roll bar brackets and towing eye but used Dinitrol everywhere else.

I used a simple wire brush to brush off any loose rust. I bought their small car kit and its been enough to do most car. The kit comes with two types of spray, one is quite thin and penetrates into seams and cracks and the other is more waxy and gives a good coverage.

Here is a link to what i bought Dinitrol
Old 07 August 2011, 12:31 AM
JMCG
Scooby Regular

Cheers, think I might go down the route of using an epoxy mastic 121 on the steel work and probably dinitrol on the floorpan. Not that concerned on finish, still going to be far nicer than surface rusted steel after all.