Notices
Car Care Discussion on how to keep your pride and joy looking at it's best.

Polishing / Waxing with stickers??

Search this Thread

Old 02 May 2010, 01:05 PM
wrxwill05
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Polishing / Waxing with stickers??

Hi guys,

I've always taken care of my car... machine polished, polishes and waxes and so on.... next weekend I'm doing a u-turn and getting her all stickered up!

my only question is what is safe and not safe to use on a car with stickers? I'm assuming I cant machine polish anymore, so most bits will need to be done by hand.... whats the best sort of polishes / waxes to apply by hand to a blue scoob with stickers???

cheers guys!
Will
Old 02 May 2010, 01:30 PM
kully
Scooby Regular

i'd still machine polish it m8 , but i would mask the sticker off .
Old 02 May 2010, 06:44 PM
johnson12
Scooby Regular

If doing it by hand mate just make sure you follow the line of the stickers and you should be fine.
Old 02 May 2010, 06:51 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by wrxwill05
Hi guys,

I've always taken care of my car... machine polished, polishes and waxes and so on.... next weekend I'm doing a u-turn and getting her all stickered up!

my only question is what is safe and not safe to use on a car with stickers? I'm assuming I cant machine polish anymore, so most bits will need to be done by hand.... whats the best sort of polishes / waxes to apply by hand to a blue scoob with stickers???

cheers guys!
Will
What Stickers are you going for mate? Machine polishng isnt a good idea TBH. What I recommend to my customers is to wash the car thoroughly ensuring that the area the stickers will be applied to are well and truly de-grased. Once the stickers are fitted dont wash the car for a week, and then after this dont polish the car for a further 2 weeks. Preperation is key and this has an impact on the life and durability of the stickers. I normally only recommend hand polishing cars with graphics on, however some sticker will be fine. For example cusco would be ok as there isnt a great deal of small decals or sticker that taper to a point, but then the Subaru Swoosh graphics have pointed stars.... Im sue you get my drift. the less of a surface area, the less surface glue on the stickers, therefore the more chance the sticker will ping off with if not looked after and polished/washed in the correct manner.

Rob