Notices
Car Care Discussion on how to keep your pride and joy looking at it's best.

Cleaning engine bay ?

Search this Thread

Old 16 October 2009, 06:32 PM
340BHP-WRX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaning engine bay ?

What's the best way/product to clean a very dirty engine and engine bay ? Engine is just generally dirty everywhere and the engine bay has a yellow coating that apparently was caused by the vehicle being wax oiled !

Any ideas ?
Old 16 October 2009, 06:48 PM
w13dle
Scooby Regular

Hi mate Meguiars Super Degreaser comes highly recommended on here & the something like 303 Aerospace Protectant to protect the plastics & hoses after, polish bliss is a good place to get all you bits they have some good guides on there aswell
Old 16 October 2009, 07:02 PM
340BHP-WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by w13dle
Hi mate Meguiars Super Degreaser comes highly recommended on here & the something like 303 Aerospace Protectant to protect the plastics & hoses after, polish bliss is a good place to get all you bits they have some good guides on there aswell
Thanks mate

I've bought some bits from Polished Bliss before and the service has been excellent
Old 16 October 2009, 10:22 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

Cover the alternator, intercooler and fuse box, other obvious electrical connections. APC/ degreaser of your choice. Spray liberally and allow to soak for 5 mins at least. Daisy mixed 1:4 with water is great for normal grime in the engine bay. Couple of old toothbrushes or similar for ingrained bits. Low pressure hose to rinse. Allow engine to dry by leaving engine to tickover for several minutes. AG tyre and rubber care or similar to finish. Again leave engine to tick over to dry the finish. Look and enjoy
Old 17 October 2009, 01:40 AM
daddyscoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by s70rjw
Cover the alternator, intercooler and fuse box, other obvious electrical connections. APC/ degreaser of your choice. Spray liberally and allow to soak for 5 mins at least. Daisy mixed 1:4 with water is great for normal grime in the engine bay. Couple of old toothbrushes or similar for ingrained bits. Low pressure hose to rinse. Allow engine to dry by leaving engine to tickover for several minutes. AG tyre and rubber care or similar to finish. Again leave engine to tick over to dry the finish. Look and enjoy
Why cover the intercooler was yours already clean ??
Old 17 October 2009, 02:14 PM
bodgeit
BANNED

Or if onna budget,Gunk,paintbrush and silicon spray to protect.Gunk is a very powerfull cleaner so read the instructions first,silicon spray is super slippy dont geddit on yer brakes or tyres.
Old 18 October 2009, 11:43 PM
340BHP-WRX
Scooby Regular

Anyone know if the Meguiars Super Degreaser will remove the wax oil by just spraying on and hosing off ?

I've tried some normal degreaser today and it will remove it by spraying on and wiping off with a cloth but it's hard work and obviously can't get into everywhere.

If the Super Degreaser will remove it by just spraying on and hosing it off then that'll be perfect
Old 19 October 2009, 09:09 AM
C_WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by s70rjw
Very good advise. Open hose is best idea, you could use a low set pressure washer but main thing is just don't force water where it shouldn't be going.
If you can reach the bodywork bits then a strong (like Prime Strong) polish would be good for afters protecting.

Originally Posted by 340BHP-WRX
Anyone know if the Meguiars Super Degreaser will remove the wax oil by just spraying on and hosing off ?
I've tried some normal degreaser today and it will remove it by spraying on and wiping off with a cloth but it's hard work and obviously can't get into everywhere.
If the Super Degreaser will remove it by just spraying on and hosing it off then that'll be perfect
When I did mine afraid elbow grease was still required in some areas. On top of the alternator I had oily grease and was back to the old manual rubbing.
Have you tried a toothbrush as mentioned (just not the same one you plan on using that night ) ?
Old 19 October 2009, 03:12 PM
Clark @ PB
Former Sponsor

When doing scooby engines I cover up the altenator and battery terminals then spray with super degreaser or APC (APC is fine if it's just mildly dirty), agitate with a brush and then rinse with the pressure washer. Start the car up and let it run for 5 or 10 mins to help with drying and then apply 303 Aerospace Protectant to prevent dirt sticking in future. Pressure washers are fine as long as you dont hold the nozzle something daft like 5mm away from electrical components etc!

For the yellow wax coating you'll more than likely need something like Autosmart Tardis to remove this as it can be quite thick and stubborn to remove in places - Tardis is really good for this and transport wax on new cars etc

This is my engine bay after using the above process:

Last edited by Clark @ PB; 19 October 2009 at 03:14 PM.
Old 19 October 2009, 03:36 PM
F1 CJE UK
Scooby Regular

looks OK you have a stunning car mate
Old 19 October 2009, 04:15 PM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

any tips on washing the sti IC without removing the sti markings, I was going to use some alloy wheel cleaner but was worried it may be too harsh, it has a dusty oval shadow on it.
Old 22 October 2009, 01:52 PM
hughes741
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by shahidafridi9969
Cleaning the engine bay is not something most people worry about. This may be because it seems like a lot of hard work when only a few people will see it, or because the task appears to be too challenging. However, a clean engine bay can add to the value of your car when it comes to selling it, and undoubtedly makes it easier for mechanics to make repairs and carry out inspections. In contrast to what you might think, cleaning the engine bay is a very simple task, and once properly detailed, the engine bay is no harder to keep clean than any other part of your car. In the following example, the whole job was completed in just 30 minutes.

Self Certification Mortgage In The Uk
working from home jobs
these spam bots are getting quite clever either that or some sad b*stard is doing it manually
Old 23 October 2009, 11:59 AM
Clark @ PB
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by JDM_Stig
any tips on washing the sti IC without removing the sti markings, I was going to use some alloy wheel cleaner but was worried it may be too harsh, it has a dusty oval shadow on it.
When I do mine I just use some APC (All Purpose Cleaner) and a brush (Meguiars Interior Brush is actually very good!) to remove the dead bugs etc, I rinse it off with light pressure from the pressure washer and jobs a good un'!
Old 04 February 2020, 02:13 AM
EunosPilot
Scooby Newbie

If I pressure wash the engine bay ( electricals covered as suggested ), it is OK to leave it to air dry ? The car hasn't run for a long time, and I'd like to get all the grime out before I start work in there ( cam belt etc ).
Old 04 February 2020, 05:19 AM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by EunosPilot
If I pressure wash the engine bay ( electricals covered as suggested ), it is OK to leave it to air dry ? The car hasn't run for a long time, and I'd like to get all the grime out before I start work in there ( cam belt etc ).
yes mate not a problem,your car has been washed before or driven in the rain?.SJ.