Notices
Car Care Discussion on how to keep your pride and joy looking at it's best.

G220: How much Presure?

Search this Thread

Old 09 July 2009, 01:44 PM
Hoody2769
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default G220: How much Presure?

I guess this one's aimed at polished bliss, but anyone else out there with an opinion please let me know.

I own a black/blue mica Bug Eye and regularly see car details posted on here which show a 90-95% correction in relation to paint defects.
It doesn't seem to matter what I do but I would estimate that I can never really exceed 70-75% correction. Most people who know me think my car is kept in a mint condition and don't know what I'm talking about, but I am still hankering after a finish which is closer to perfect!

I have purchased all my goods from polished bliss and have followed their advice but it doesn't seem to advance my technique/application of products with the G220.

Using two Menzerna polishing compounds (RD302 and RD 85) with the respective light cut and polishing Lake Country pads I just can't get the correction I'm after. I, like many others are forced to work outside and I try to select the most cloudy possible.

I understand the process of polishing and the one area where improvement could be perhaps gained is in relation to pressure of application. I have noticed that pressing with a light pressure means that the pad still continues to revolve whilst imparting in essence the figure of 8 pattern in the polish. However, firm to moderate pressure causes the pad to stop revolving (but the figure of 8 is still imparted). So, does this mean my firm to moderate pressure is too much?? Should the polishing pad still be revolving on its' axis when using 'moderate' pressure?

Cheers
Will
Old 11 July 2009, 09:38 AM
+Doc+
Scooby Senior

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

The pad should revolve around 2 turns per second, my silverline doesnt have the grunt to this and goes at about 1 per second.
Old 16 July 2009, 03:43 AM
dazzlers82
Scooby Regular

what speed are you running the g220 on, also are you spending enough time on each section to fully break down the polish, an how big an area are you working each time it idealy should not be much more than around a foot by a foot square also what are using to remove the polish residue as you may find you could be inflicting more swirls when trying to remove the polish, i no my paint swirls at the slightest bit of dust in the air an when i polish it i have to use several cloths
Old 23 July 2009, 12:03 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

Some good points raised above; to put you on the right track there is a lot of ground to cover, and to do this by written responses is going to take a while. So instead, how about giving me a call at your convenience? You'll get me on 0845 4540017, and I'd be happy to talk it all through; chances are you might be one of the unfortunate owners of a car with harder than expected paint, and you may need to switch to firmer non-reticulated polishing/compounding pads in order to get the level of cut you need. Your method is probably less responsible for the lack of progress, but I'll go through this with you when we speak.
Old 24 July 2009, 10:11 PM
chunkb
Scooby Regular

Good customer service PB.
Old 25 July 2009, 01:17 PM
Hoody2769
Scooby Regular

Thanks, I'll give you a call before my next detailing session!