Notices
Car Care Discussion on how to keep your pride and joy looking at it's best.

What to use to keep new paintwork 100%

Search this Thread

Old 09 May 2009, 05:16 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to use to keep new paintwork 100%

This is the first car I'm actually going to care for, rather than just keep cleanish.

Anything that needs a hose is out as I live in a 1st floor flat so its all got to be done by hand as it means humping water down 2 flights of stairs.

The paint is Obsidian Black on a MY09 hatch.

I've got autoglym shampoo and polish here, but IIRC its a bitch to get off the car 100% without a hose, but the glass polish is great! I also have a Megs clay bar and a bottle of quick detailer.

Cheers
S
Old 09 May 2009, 08:09 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Had a brainwave, I can use 1 of these to rinse the car off insead of a hose

B&Q Pressure Spray A008482 Green 5L, 0000003643402
Old 12 May 2009, 12:22 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Simon, seeing as you just shelled out £££ for a new Scoob (gulp diesel), spend the extra and get yourself a little Karcher pressure washer. I just happened to see one on offer in Argos and it picked it up with some free accessories. Now use it not only for the car, but for cleaning my back yeard/driveway/walls etc.

Best £60 I spent in a long time buddy

Unexpected error occurred - Tesco.Direct (mine)

Unexpected error occurred - Tesco.Direct
Old 12 May 2009, 01:12 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

COB, living in a 1st floor flat hinda makes a pressure washer useless, it needs water to run........
Old 12 May 2009, 02:07 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Simon C
COB, living in a 1st floor flat hinda makes a pressure washer useless, it needs water to run........
I presume you can't run a hose to an outdoor or even indoor tap then mate? To high up at a guess?

I have an outside tap and have a 30 metre hose which connects to the tap at one end and the Karcher at the other, 100 feet away Unless your 100 feet in the air, its a possibility, if not a faff? I'd assume you require more then 5l of spray to wash a Scoob?
Old 12 May 2009, 03:47 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

No tap that a hose would fit on either!
Old 12 May 2009, 03:51 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

1. Make friends with someone with a hose.

2. Get it detailed for a 12 month protection treatment to minimise the effort involved in cleaning.

Trending Topics

Old 12 May 2009, 03:58 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 53WRX
1. Make friends with someone with a hose.
Like the wpc opposite

Originally Posted by 53WRX
2. Get it detailed for a 12 month protection treatment to minimise the effort involved in cleaning.

I'm skint!
Old 12 May 2009, 04:36 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

No tap that a hose would fit on either!
You get a universal fitment thing from somewhere like B&Q. My outside tap is right inbetween the screw on fitments, so I popped to B&Q and bought one of those rubber things which the tap end slots into (like a ***** into a vagina) and then you screw it on hard to stop leaks Had a hose fitment on t'other end.

I've used mine for ages and it's never let me down.
Old 12 May 2009, 05:18 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Doubt anything would fit a mixer tap!!!! I did look at options, hence in the first post I mention I live in a 1st floor flat.

Last edited by Simon C; 12 May 2009 at 05:20 PM.
Old 12 May 2009, 05:56 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Doubt anything would fit a mixer tap!!!! I did look at options, hence in the first post I mention I live in a 1st floor flat.
Yeah, you can buy connections for a mixer tap. I have a mixer tap and the gizmo fits over the hole. You then have the rubber seal that fits on the bottom to stop water seepage. You usually get several different sizes of rubber seal.

I started washing the car on the drive round the back instead of round the front, otherwise I would still use my kitchen mixer tap as a feed.
Old 12 May 2009, 08:02 PM
+Doc+
Scooby Senior

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

This has never actually occurred to me in the past regarding flats, can you not start a petition for a municipal tap outside or something?
Must be a right pain in the ****.
I would go round the parents personally
Old 13 May 2009, 09:21 AM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

135 miles each way is a bit of a PIA to clean a car!!!!

I'm sure I'll come up with a plan, just might take me a bit longer without a pressure washer.
Old 13 May 2009, 02:01 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

Simon, what about getting a P/W that can suck from a bucket?

I personally would forget AG shampoo and cond. and get some proper car shampoo, two I can highly recommend 1) Poorboys super slick and suds 2) Jeffs Auto body wash. Both are great products and leave a streak free finish.

Being as your car is so new it would not need claying, so I would get straight onto polishing and waxing. I still use AG Super resin polish as it find it a really easy product to use and seems to work and hiding some of the minor swirls and imperfections in the paint. Next you will want to wax, seal the polish, so I would suggest taking a look at the Polish Bliss thread on what to use on darker coloured cars.

But if you wanted to go against the pro's word, then I would highly recommend Natty's Blue/LE red wax as they perform brilliantly and give a nice wet look, especially the red Natty's which I am currently using. The only problem I find is that I am not sure to east it along side double cream or put it on the car.
Old 13 May 2009, 02:21 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SC008Y_MAD
Simon, what about getting a P/W that can suck from a bucket?

I personally would forget AG shampoo and cond. and get some proper car shampoo, two I can highly recommend 1) Poorboys super slick and suds 2) Jeffs Auto body wash. Both are great products and leave a streak free finish.

Being as your car is so new it would not need claying, so I would get straight onto polishing and waxing. I still use AG Super resin polish as it find it a really easy product to use and seems to work and hiding some of the minor swirls and imperfections in the paint. Next you will want to wax, seal the polish, so I would suggest taking a look at the Polish Bliss thread on what to use on darker coloured cars.

But if you wanted to go against the pro's word, then I would highly recommend Natty's Blue/LE red wax as they perform brilliantly and give a nice wet look, especially the red Natty's which I am currently using. The only problem I find is that I am not sure to east it along side double cream or put it on the car.
Don't you rate the AG shampoo then Darren? It's all I use and never had an issue. Only pain is rinsing the car in the sun, you have to do it quickly and dry quickly to prevent dry water spots. This may be as I haven't anywhere under cover to clean the car though.
Old 13 May 2009, 02:22 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Got a delilvery from Polished Bliss this morning Containing a large amount of Blackfire!!!

The car does need claying I recon theres stuff on there that I doubt will be removed from washing. but we will see.

As fro PW's, I ain't gonna bother until I have a house.
Old 13 May 2009, 05:58 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
Don't you rate the AG shampoo then Darren? It's all I use and never had an issue. Only pain is rinsing the car in the sun, you have to do it quickly and dry quickly to prevent dry water spots. This may be as I haven't anywhere under cover to clean the car though.
I just don't like how it performs when washing cars. I started using this product when I first had a car and then I found Megs gold class, which is good, but does strip wax. Until I found super slick and suds. Never looked back. Speaking of which I need to order some.
Old 14 May 2009, 01:52 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

Got a delilvery from Polished Bliss this morning Containing a large amount of Blackfire!!!

The car does need claying I recon theres stuff on there that I doubt will be removed from washing. but we will see.

As fro PW's, I ain't gonna bother until I have a house.
Cheers mate, much appreciated the order. I think given your setup, the most important thing to make sure you do is take your time - washing in a rush in cases where pre-rising isn't possible can lead to a lot of surface marring. Its better to take your time, being extra gentle and careful with your wash mitt, and make sure you use the two bucket method and change the rinse water regularly (even if it means running up some stairs!). It would also be worth hunting down a commercial jet wash facility in your area - if you aim to jet wash once a week and hand wash it once a month, again you will inflict far less marring than if you attempt to hand wash it every week.
Old 14 May 2009, 02:51 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Polished Bliss
It would also be worth hunting down a commercial jet wash facility in your area - if you aim to jet wash once a week and hand wash it once a month, again you will inflict far less marring than if you attempt to hand wash it every week.
Thats a damn good idea!!!!! Got a couple of them round me. Cheers

edit:

I did buy 1 of those plant sprayers, which are ok for removing light particles like pollen (which the cars covered in) and the sandy stuff that the area I live in is built on. (live out in the sticks).

Last edited by Simon C; 14 May 2009 at 03:09 PM.