Notices
Car Care Discussion on how to keep your pride and joy looking at it's best.

Dull Paint after Wash!

Search this Thread

Old 11 April 2009, 11:48 PM
top_fuel
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dull Paint after Wash!

Hi fellas,

Thought I'd give the car a full cleaning service today as the weather was ever so pretty

well... after spending over 3 hours on her.. the paint seems to look hella lot worse than before the wash!... its quite a dull color now... eeeek

Washed with Megs Gold Class shampoo
Polished with Megs Step1 Polish
Waxed with Megs Tech Wax

... anyone know why it turned out a bit crap?... and/or how do i fix it?

Grrr
Old 12 April 2009, 11:53 AM
WRX_Dazza
Scooby Regular

Location: Going further than the station and back !!! ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz

step one is a paint cleaner mate, it will need polish and then wax to get the best results if you go down this road..., just my personal experience.

im doing one on tuesday (same ish colour as yours if it can wait till then) and i'll post the results !!!

if that helps! (dont worry mate, im sure it can be rectified)

dazza
Old 12 April 2009, 12:47 PM
top_fuel
Scooby Regular

thanxs for that Dazza....

you'd think its ok if i slap on STEP2 over the wax?...
Old 12 April 2009, 01:28 PM
paul_r26
Scooby Newbie

If the step 2 is a polish, it'll take off the wax

You may have got water marks from allowing the water to dry on the paint in the sun, esp if you live in a hard water area.

SRP should sort it, if not a fine clay will be needed!
Old 12 April 2009, 10:26 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

What was on your car before? Your paint cleaner may have cleaned away your polish containing fillers, hence the car now looks worse.
Old 14 April 2009, 11:15 AM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

That's exactly what I was thinking, i.e. has the paint cleaner stripped away a previous layer of fillers and gloss enhancers, and thus revealed a poorer underlying finish beneath? What was used on the car last time it was given a detail?
Old 14 April 2009, 12:44 PM
top_fuel
Scooby Regular

thanxs for your input fellas,

The car was previously professionally detailed in Hong Kong but not sure what was done as I wasn't the owner at the time, but that was about 2 years ago, so thought I give it a good all over.

I have now since used Step2 but it still not much better!...

Any ideas what can be done further to bring back the Mother of ALL Shine!!!...

Very disappointed, after 3 hours of work I was expecting something glorious!... but got the opposite!... suxs!... * goes off to sob*
Old 16 April 2009, 02:18 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

I think there could be several factors at play, including the suggestion above that the paint cleaner has stripped away a previopusly good coating of fillers and gloss enhancers, but also, I should ask at this stage, what did you apply and remove the cleaner and wax with? Is it possible you could have marred the finish badly by using poor condition pads/towels? It would help if you are able to post up some decent quality images of the paint finish, to give us an idea of just how bad the dullness is. Generally speaking, what you did should have produced a reasonable finish, so I am a little lost. However, I can say with confidence that to achieve the mother of all finishes, you will need better products and more time input!
Old 16 April 2009, 04:53 PM
top_fuel
Scooby Regular

Thanxs for the reply PB....

I used a "Used" Meg. pad to apply the STEP1 and a "New" Meg. pad to apply the Megs Tech Wax. Buffed with brand new MF towel.

The paint may not look dull to people who haven't seen the car when it was Sparkling, but its hella difference to people who has seen it previously. Also its not dull as in matt dull, but its a lot worse after I given it my special treatment *.*

will get pics up tomorrow as about to head off to work....
Old 18 April 2009, 02:58 PM
top_fuel
Scooby Regular

Okies... couldn't get any pics yesterday as it was raining per usuall in not so sunny south wales .... today was a different day... so heres some pics...

its kinda difficult to see from the pics alone... must be seen in real i guess... whats your take on the pictures?...

Last edited by top_fuel; 18 April 2009 at 03:00 PM.
Old 18 April 2009, 07:30 PM
+Doc+
Scooby Senior

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks like it's lost some depth, Personally I would strip off the protection and start again, remember preparation is the key, the product is secondary.
Old 20 April 2009, 02:37 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

Hmm, it does indeed look very dull and lifeless, with very little clarity in the reflections. Such dullness can arise from either widespread bonded surface contamination or heavy surface marring; in this case, given that the finish worsened as a result of the treatment, and that the method of application and choice of pads seems okay, then I'm a bit lost as to why this problem has arisen! However, to fix it, I would suggest repeating the process, this time focusing on these key steps...

1. Wash
2. Decontaminate
3. Polish
4. Protect

By doing this, you cover all bases in terms of fixing the problem, and should end up with a cracking result. Our stock advice for the best possible way to proceed would be as follows, but please pick and choose at will, as you may already have many of the required products or suitable alternatives...

Wash (ideally every week, including wheels)

Advanced Car Wash Kit - Advanced Car Wash Kit - Polished Bliss Car Care and Detailing Kits (choosing the Werkstat shampoo)

Decontaminate (once or twice a year, spring and autumn are the best times)

Step 1 - Autosmart Tardis & Accessories (to remove tar spots, tree sap, etc) - Autosmart Tardis - Autosmart Car Care and Detailing Products

Step 2 - Meguiars Quik Clay Kit (to remove industrial fallout, soot, etc) - Meguiars Quik Clay Kit - Meguiars Car Care and Detailing Products

Polish (after claying, thus done once or twice a year)

To correct swirl marks and other light to moderate defects (fine scratches and oxidation) on your car, we recommend using Menzerna Intensive Polish in conjunction with Lake Country German CCS Light Cut Pads. Working small areas at a time using moderate pressure should enable you to correct around 95% of the defects present in just 1-2 attempts per panel. You should be aware from the outset that although this method will yield very good results, it will require a reasonable amount of elbow grease! Of course, if your paint is in excellent condition with no visible sub-surface defects, you can skip this step and go straight to the addition of the protection (see below)...

Menzerna Intensive Polish - Menzerna Intensive Polish - Menzerna Car Care and Detailing Products
Lake Country German CCS Light Cut Pads - Lake Country German CCS Pads - Lake Country Car Care and Detailing Products
Poorboys Super Thick & Plush Towels - Poorboys Super Thick & Plush Towel - Poorboys Car Care and Detailing Products

Protect (add fresh protection every 6-8 weeks for best results)

Werkstat Acrylic Kit - Werkstat Acrylic Kit - Werkstat Car Care and Detailing Products

This excellent value for money kit includes everything you need to achieve the Werkstat acrylic finish on your car, and works best on lighter colours and metallic/pearlescent finishes. Werkstat Prime Acrylic is a light finishing polish that lays down a tough initial coat of acrylic protection whilst deep cleansing the paint; you should use it once every six months after claying/polishing. Werkstat Acrylic Jett Trigger is a pure spray sealant that should be used to add more gloss and protection every 6-8 weeks; the more layers you build up, the better the finish will get, in terms of both wetness and durability. Werkstat Acrylic Glos is a quick detailing spray and can be used to help boost gloss, lubricate when drying off after washing and loosen the residues of Werkstat Prime Acrylic and Werkstat Acrylic Jett Trigger should you find them hard to remove. Here are full instructions for each major six-monthly detail with the products...

After washing and claying (and corrective polishing if required), start out by applying a basecoat of Werkstat Prime Acrylic using the white Meguiars Microfibre Applicator Pad. Once fully dry, buff off this residue carefully with the Poorboys Super Thick & Plush Towel, using a spritz of Werkstat Acrylic Glos to help loosen the residue if needs be. To complete the process, apply a coat of Werkstat Acrylic Jett Trigger by spraying directly onto each panel and buffing off immediately with the Poorboys Deluxe Mega Towels, again using a spritz of Werkstat Acrylic Glos to help loosen the residue if needs be. To maintain the finish, simply quick detail with Werkstat Acrylic Glos after each wash, and add a fresh coat of Werkstat Acrylic Jett Trigger every 6-8 weeks until the time comes to start over by claying again.

Examples pictures of the finish the Werkstat system gives can be viewed on these links...

Car Care Advice - Frequently asked questions about car care products and techniques

Car Care Advice - Frequently asked questions about car care products and techniques

Old 21 April 2009, 11:07 PM
top_fuel
Scooby Regular

Thats quite a reply.... will deffo be making some purchases as the Menzerna is now back in stock

.... you suggest using the Autosmart Tardis all over the car?...

Thanks
Old 28 April 2009, 12:48 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

Aye, it's safe for all exterior surfaces if used correctly, and will ensure all previous products and any organic contaminants are fully removed ahead of claying and polishing.
Old 29 April 2009, 07:16 PM
GeeDee
Scooby Regular

Are you all saying that the Megs Gold Class shampoo is paint cleaner rather than a straight shampoo and is it different to Megs Gold Class Car Wash shampoo and conditioner?

If this is the case, any recommendations for a gentle but effective shampoo as my bottle of Werkstat Auto Body Wash has run out and I notice PB are out of stock.

Last edited by GeeDee; 29 April 2009 at 07:24 PM.
Old 30 April 2009, 10:58 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No,

I think they're saying that the meguiars step 1 (of the 3 step system) is a paint cleaner.

The jest here is that the OP washed the car with the shampoo.
Then polished (or so he thought) using the step 1 product
Then waxed it
Old 30 April 2009, 06:22 PM
GeeDee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by urban
No,

I think they're saying that the meguiars step 1 (of the 3 step system) is a paint cleaner.

The jest here is that the OP washed the car with the shampoo.
Then polished (or so he thought) using the step 1 product
Then waxed it
Thanks, I misread step one to mean the first stage ie shampoo rather than "Step1 Polish".
Old 04 May 2009, 02:04 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

The Werkstat shampoo will be back in stock in about 7 days time, but if you need a good alternative in the meantime, Poorboys Super Slick & Suds is a good choice.