Notices
Car Care Discussion on how to keep your pride and joy looking at it's best.

Claying advice

Search this Thread

Old 01 April 2009, 12:49 PM
Pakolainen
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Claying advice

ok, so here in Finland the snow is melting, the temperature has bust in to the + side and there is a bit of sun in the sky.
last november i received through mail order (difficult to find here) sme Meguairs wash, and a clay bar kit (2 indivdually wrapped clay bars, quik detailer, small bottle of wax and a yelllow cloth) as well as a wash mitt.
Time to christen them.

washed the car with mitt and soap, whilst the wife is still in the opinion that her old man's way to wash a car is much more cost and time effective (drizzle Fairy over the car and wait for it to rain) the car came out much cleaner than the times i've used turtle wax soap and a sponge.
but as with the +'s there are always -'s, upon seeing a nice clean car it also drew my attention to the 7 or 8 stone chips on the bonnet (how do i fix those) as well as the dent on the number plate, where some numb nuts ape has reversed his tow hook into the number plate, which has followed through to the metal backing plate and then left a slight indent in the bumper behind.

i unwrapped my clay bars, but as the car was not perfectly clean and it looked like it was now gonna rain, i just did the drivers side door. Wow, what a difference.

questions.
how long would it take to clay bar the whole car MY05 saloon WRX?
do i rub lightly or hard, of course with the lube?
will 1 clay bar be enough for the whole car?
how long will 1 clay bar last.?
(the car has never been clayed before.

a bit long winded. but thanks for reading and answering.
Old 01 April 2009, 01:41 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

All of your claying questions are addressed in our in-depth guide to claying, linked here...

Car Care Advice - Clean - How to clean your paint in preparation for polishing or protection

...and there is also further dicussion on the subject in Section 2 of our FAQ...

Car Care Advice - Frequently asked questions about car care products and techniques

The stone chips can be improved by buying a touch up kit from the dealer, and then touching in a dab of colour and then a dab of clearcoat using a fine artists paint brush; this will make the chips much less obvious, but will never yield a perfect result - a respray would be needed for that. The bumper and number plate damage sounds like it will need bodyshop attention I'm afraid.

Old 01 April 2009, 01:43 PM
Pakolainen
Scooby Regular

ok thanks.