Notices
Car Care Discussion on how to keep your pride and joy looking at it's best.

Dual-Action or Rotary Polisher???

Search this Thread

Old 28 February 2009, 05:49 PM
baba
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dual-Action or Rotary Polisher???

Hi i own a Porter Cable DA polisher and feel its under powered when you apply pressure when trying to remove light scratches etc.It does lift sum but i feel it isnt that powerful.
I use various pads cutting etc but my strongest polish is Menzerna RD3.02.
Should it have better results with a heavier cut polish or is swirl marks and very very light scratches the PCs limit?

please share your honest views.
Also would light sanding help the scratches and then polished out?Or is the PC unable to do this?
Old 02 March 2009, 12:31 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

The Porter Cable 7424 is limited in terms of power compared to newer style DA machines like the G220 and DAS-6, both of which make tackling hard paint a fairly straightforward job. However, it is possible to make good headway with the Porter Cable, but most people fall down when it comes to pad choice - you need to select aggressive foams if you need to do heavy correction on hard paints. If you have had only limited success to date, I would suggest switching to Menzerna pads before you consider swapping machines. Menzerna pads are designed for harder paints, and feature firmer coarser foams. The white Compounding Pad in particular is a monster, and takes some getting used too, but the level of cut it affords with RD3.02 is more than enough to tackle swirly German paints, so should be perfect for your needs. If the idea of harder pads doesn't appeal, swapping for a DAS-6 would be a step up, and far safer than switching to a rotary. In my opinion, rotary tools require such a huge amount of practice and experience to use safely that they should be avoided by most enthusiasts - too much risk of something going (badly) wrong. Give me a call if you fancy talking through the options in more detail.
Old 04 March 2009, 04:11 PM
baba
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Polished Bliss
The Porter Cable 7424 is limited in terms of power compared to newer style DA machines like the G220 and DAS-6, both of which make tackling hard paint a fairly straightforward job. However, it is possible to make good headway with the Porter Cable, but most people fall down when it comes to pad choice - you need to select aggressive foams if you need to do heavy correction on hard paints. If you have had only limited success to date, I would suggest switching to Menzerna pads before you consider swapping machines. Menzerna pads are designed for harder paints, and feature firmer coarser foams. The white Compounding Pad in particular is a monster, and takes some getting used too, but the level of cut it affords with RD3.02 is more than enough to tackle swirly German paints, so should be perfect for your needs. If the idea of harder pads doesn't appeal, swapping for a DAS-6 would be a step up, and far safer than switching to a rotary. In my opinion, rotary tools require such a huge amount of practice and experience to use safely that they should be avoided by most enthusiasts - too much risk of something going (badly) wrong. Give me a call if you fancy talking through the options in more detail.
ok thanks alot