Notices
Car Care Discussion on how to keep your pride and joy looking at it's best.

Carpet mould!

Search this Thread

Old 27 January 2009, 08:58 PM
STiLtd
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carpet mould!

Hi y'all,

A friend of mine is over in OZ for a few months and asked me to look after his old Mondeo for him.......so I've been running it periodically, running the A/C and heat etc. without any issues.....

However (and there's always a however isn't there!), I've just noticed the carpets are starting to mould. It's only just started....so hopefully it won't get out of hand...

I'm not sure if there's water getting in somewhere (since the windows are pretty wet on the inside)....but I'll deal with that one!

My question is......does anyone have any advice as to what to treat the carpets with. I don't want to have to take them all out (and I'm hoping that I've caught it before that's necessary). A solution with a smidgen of bleach? I don't want to discolour them.....

Any advice anyone? Well, apart from running the car more often (daily!)

Ta in advance!
Old 30 January 2009, 05:38 PM
Scooby Senior

they will be moulding due to no air circulation, soap and water will shift it no problem. If you are going to leave it stood, there's not much you can do apart from leave the sunroof on tilt slightly to allow the air to circulate.
Old 30 January 2009, 09:03 PM
STiLtd
Scooby Regular

News Report......

Well, I think I've found the cause......either a leak (unlikely), or spilt water under a rear mat (rubber backed!). I'm not sure, but it seems to be the best lead I have so far!

I've dried everything out, I've sprayed anti-bac spray and treated all the mould I can find (including the seat belts which I found had it on when I pulled them out!), and left all doors open yesterday and today. Luckily the weather has been good! I even set off one of those A/C cleaner bomb thingies for good measure!

It hasn't helped that he doesn't keep the inside of his car spotless (like most of us probably do on here!)

There's definitely no substitute for a car being run regularly - not just started and not moved - to get air flowing through all the vents and generally through the car!