Notices
Car Care Discussion on how to keep your pride and joy looking at it's best.

whats the difference

Search this Thread

Old 04 January 2009, 08:12 PM
robinsonsmotors
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whats the difference

hi all,
could you please give me some expert advice please. ive always keeped my cars well waxed etc. i have been using auto glym and meguires products and have found them to produce good results. having read write ups on here, most seem to use blackfire , dodo, jeffs etc. what is the difference between them and auto glym/meguires? i have a 04 wrx in wrc blue. could anyone advise me best kit to buy, most of mine is due to be replaced.
best reagards and many thanks for replies.
robbie
Old 04 January 2009, 08:38 PM
mad555
Scooby Regular

Hi Robbie,the best way to find out the difference is to try them,the likes of Jeffs,Blackfire,etc compared to auto glym,etc is worlds apart.
Drop Rich at Polished Bliss - Car Care Products - Car Care Advice - Detailing Services - Scotland - UK a line and he'll advise you on the best products for your colour,or check out their site and read the guides.
Old 05 January 2009, 04:08 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

Hi Robbie, welcome to the car care section. There's certainly nothing wrong with what you have been using; it's at the top of the pile in terms of what is readily available on the high street. However, both ourselves and other niche traders have in recent years introduced a lot of boutique brands from the US that offer superior performance in terms of aesthetics and durability... albeit granted for a wee bit more outlay. The likes of Werkstat and Blackfire offer greater ease of use, notceably better results and greater durability. Whether the extra is worth paying for depends just how good you want your cars to look, and only you know the answer to that. If you either list up what you have below (or send me an e-mail via the website) I'll happily give you some ideas for routines and recommended products. Also, you may wish to take a wee look at the new FAQ that is about to go live on our site this week - the link is in my signature below.
Old 05 January 2009, 09:43 PM
robinsonsmotors
Scooby Regular

thanks for the replies guys, rich i think you'll be getting an order at end of month! basically i want my car looking as wet/glossy as possible. my routine is
1. snowfoam at work (think we changed to autobrite)
2. drive home 3 miles, then wash with either triplewax or megs wash 2 buckets
3. tardis whole body and wheels then rewash.
4. auto glym rubber and vinyl plastic trims then tyres with autosmart highstyle
5. wax body and wheels with either megs nxt or autoglym srp/egp 50/50 mix
6. use megs applicator and microfiber towels

prob very wrong so any tips greatfully recieived!
p.s normal results can be seen in "view my scooby" <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Last edited by robinsonsmotors; 05 January 2009 at 09:53 PM.
Old 08 January 2009, 08:22 PM
robinsonsmotors
Scooby Regular

any tips on products rich?
regards, robbie
Old 08 January 2009, 10:14 PM
Mrchips
Scooby Regular

That seems pretty good to me. Not to sure on the drive home, but doubt you will get much from the road. But then again some scientist will come along and say yes or no
Old 09 January 2009, 11:01 AM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by robinsonsmotors
thanks for the replies guys, rich i think you'll be getting an order at end of month! basically i want my car looking as wet/glossy as possible. my routine is
1. snowfoam at work (think we changed to autobrite)
2. drive home 3 miles, then wash with either triplewax or megs wash 2 buckets
3. tardis whole body and wheels then rewash.
4. auto glym rubber and vinyl plastic trims then tyres with autosmart highstyle
5. wax body and wheels with either megs nxt or autoglym srp/egp 50/50 mix
6. use megs applicator and microfiber towels

prob very wrong so any tips greatfully recieived!
p.s normal results can be seen in "view my scooby" <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Sorry for delay, busy week! Okay, the general routine looks fine as a starting point. I'd suggest these points/changes...

1. Once you get home, rinse thoroughly before the hand wash, just to make sure any fresh dust and grit is off before you place a mitt on the car. Skip the Triplewax, use a mild pure shampoo from now on - Megs shampoos are usually fine in this respect.

2. After the Tardis, check the panels for smoothness - Tardis will take off bonded organic contaminants, but not inorganic particulates. If the paint still feels rough at all, clay with Meguiars Quik Clay or similar before rewashing.

3. Glaze the paint with either Blackfire Gloss Enhancing Polish or Poorboys Black Hole Glaze, to enhance depth and gloss - this can be done by hand or machine equally well.

4. If maximum wetness is your ultimate goal, I'd suggest going straight to Blackfire Midnight Sun Paste Wax. This product has won virtually all of the national SIDC show n shine competitions over the last two years, and is perfect for your needs. Prepared to be wowed!

5. Use Lake Country Applicators (for glaze) and Blackfire LSP pad (wax).

6. After the initial full monty treatment, try to wash the car every 1-2 weeks and quick detail after drying to ensure no water spotting - a good product for this if you don't already have one is Blackfire Deep Gloss Spray Sealant. Aim to top up the wax every 6-8 weeks, or more often if you have the time - the more coats you get on the glossier the finish will get.

7. Start over from scratch every 6 months to remove bonded contaminants.

That's the basics and should get you off and running - if you need anything else let me know by e-mail, as I may not be back on for a few days now.

Old 09 January 2009, 07:52 PM
robinsonsmotors
Scooby Regular

excellent, thanks alot. will be in touch to ordr the above on payday! cheers, robbie