Notices
Car Care Discussion on how to keep your pride and joy looking at it's best.

Starter detailing Advice Needed

Search this Thread

Old 06 December 2008, 02:39 PM
scoobyc
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Starter detailing Advice Needed

Hi,

There is tons of info on here but it all seems a bit hardcore for me.

Im after some advice on what to buy/do.

Ill start off my saying, the car is 10 years old, silver, has a few dents scratches and lots of small stone chips and tar. The paint is not in the best condition.

Currently i wet the car with hose, then wash with single bucket, old sponge with Megs Wash. This does a real good job. I then detar with turtle wax bug n tar remover. THen i applied some megs scratch removed on some of the worse scratches and decoloured patches in an attempt to make it better. On some of the decoloured blobs, the scratch remover was amazing.

O yeah i forgot, i dry with shami (sp).

I then polish with Megs Tech wax i think it is. NXT(?). I do this with some old rags. This makes a nice finish and is quite smooth but i think it could be better.

I want to add steps into this cos my budget is small, rather than start all over again.

So. Should i clay after the first wash. Which Clay?

What cloths should i use to apply/remove the polish/Dry?

How can i fill in the stone chips and make the scratches filled?

How can i polish the car quicker? Will a cheap mop work? like this: Kestrel Dual Action Polisher - Sonus Kit

What should i do after using the megs polish?

I really would like to get the above mop, cos polishing the whole car with 2 fingers in an old rag takes aaaggggeeesss.

I dont have hours and hours to do this, im after a quick cheap result, nothing spectacular. Once i get the hand of this then i may go further after a respray, or perhaps on my other car.

I look forward to your response. Link to products would be very useful. im surprised there is no "begginners details kit" With the essentials to produce a semi decent result beyond the usual wash&wax.

Thanks
Chris
Old 06 December 2008, 09:13 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So. Should i clay after the first wash. Which Clay?

Clay makes a huge difference, especially to a 10 year old car. If the paint is smooth, a mild clay, I use Sonus green with Megs Last Touch detailer as a lube. Having the paint as smooth as glass is essential for reflectivity. That will enhance your end result

What cloths should i use to apply/remove the polish/Dry?

To dry a waffle weave towel. I have several, again Sonus work for me. I spray panels with Final Touch to lubricate the towel and add some sparkle. To apply polish, foam pads Meguiars ones are cheap and washable. Microfibre cloths to buff the polish

How can i fill in the stone chips and make the scratches filled?

Chips...this is a respray job.The chips are areas where the laquer / topcoat have been damaged and no polish will cover them. A polish rich in fillers eg Autoglym can hide some scratches when applied by hand. For badly oxidised paint a machine / random orbit polisher with a more aggressive polish is required.

How can i polish the car quicker?

Spending time and effort will reap rewards. There is no quick fix that will last. Using a machine polisher or random orbital polisher will break down polish quicker, however getting the best finish will take time and effort. However, once you have a finish you are happy with, it gets quicker. You will only need to clay perhaps twice a year. Polish to remove imperfections, seal with a quality wax. Top up the wax every 2/ 3 months.

Wash using 2 buckets / washmitt to minimise risk of adding swirls via grit on your sponge

Will a cheap mop work? like this: Kestrel Dual Action Polisher - Sonus Kit

Not tried one.

What should i do after using the megs polish?

Wax with a quality product. Nattys paste is cheap. Collinite is slightly more.... £15 ish but lasts ages.

Once you see the result of your efforts, appreciate them and post some pics.
All the best Bob

Last edited by s70rjw; 06 December 2008 at 09:35 PM.
Old 06 December 2008, 11:13 PM
scoobyc
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks mate .

Bit dissappointed with todays results. The polish wasnt buffing off well, and my drying wasnt brill.

Trip to halfords tomorrow and do it again i think.
Old 07 December 2008, 12:04 PM
Tim Bomford
Scooby Regular

Oh dear, sorry you've ended up disappointed.
Polish normally will buff off ok unless you have applied too much and its caked on or possibly (as you've hinted your drying wasnt great) the car was a bit wet still?
Damp atmospheric conditions at this time of year dont help.
Halfords do more mainstream products which are simple to use (in theory), dont cost too much but dont last either.
If you are looking to improve on what you do I would suggest buying the best you can afford along the lines of buckets/grit guards, decent mitt or Zymol sponge, detergent free shampoo (doesnt need to be expensive ie Meguiars gold class), clay bar and lube, pre wax cleaner and a nice wax. Buy the best microfibres you can afford and a decent drying towel and your away.
This kit may cost £100 but will last you many many years.
The stuff you'll get at Halfords may cost you £20-£30 but you will need to replace several times a year as its designed to be used often=used up=buy more=SALES!

Hope this helps

Tim
Old 10 December 2008, 11:55 AM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

Given everything you have said, about your methods and product choices, switching to the following routine (even by hand) will yield far better results and will be easier, even at this time of year...

Wash (ideally every week)

Basic Car Wash Kit - Basic Car Wash Kit - Polished Bliss Car Care and Detailing Kits (choosing the Werkstat shampoo)
2 x Clear Wash Buckets - Clear Wash Buckets - Polished Bliss Car Care and Detailing Products

Clay (once every six months, to remove bonded surface contaminants)

Meguiars Quik Clay Kit - http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acata...lay-clean.html

Polish/Protect (polish every six months after claying, then protect every 4-6 weeks for best results)

Werkstat Acrylic Kit - Werkstat Acrylic Kit - Werkstat Car Care and Detailing Products

This excellent value for money kit includes everything you need to achieve the Werkstat acrylic finish on your car, and works best on lighter colours and metallic/pearlescent finishes. Werkstat Prime Acrylic is a light finishing polish that lays down a tough initial coat of acrylic protection whilst deep cleansing the paint; you should use it once every six months after claying. Werkstat Acrylic Jett Trigger is a pure spray sealant that should be used to add more gloss and protection every 6-8 weeks; the more layers you build up, the better the finish will get, in terms of both wetness and durability. Werkstat Acrylic Glos is a quick detailing spray and can be used to help boost gloss, lubricate when drying off after washing and loosen the residues of Werkstat Prime Acrylic and Werkstat Acrylic Jett Triggershould you find them hard to remove. Here are full instructions for each major six-monthly detail with the products...

After washing and claying (and corrective polishing if required), start out by applying a basecoat of Werkstat Prime Acrylic using the white Meguiars Microfibre Applicator Pad. Once fully dry, buff off this residue carefully with the Poorboys Super Thick & Plush Towel, using a spritz of Werkstat Acrylic Glos to help loosen the residue if needs be. To complete the process, apply a coat of Werkstat Acrylic Jett Trigger by spraying directly onto each panel and buffing off immediately with the Poorboys Deluxe Mega Towels, again using a spritz of Werkstat Acrylic Glos to help loosen the residue if needs be. To maintain the finish, simply quick detail with Werkstat Acrylic Glos after each wash, and add a fresh coat of Werkstat Acrylic Jett Trigger every 6-8 weeks until the time comes to start over by claying again.

I have attached some pictures below showing the finish the above products used to give on my six year old silver Leon, in order to give you some idea in advance.

I hope that helps!