Notices
Car Care Discussion on how to keep your pride and joy looking at it's best.

Thinking of Buying a G220- Advice Please

Search this Thread

Old 30 September 2008, 04:27 PM
COLZO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thinking of Buying a G220- Advice Please

Think the next step in my detailing hobby is a G220. Just looking for advice on where to buy, pads, speeds, passes, etc. My car has the PB treatment so my techniques would be honed on relatives cars (especially the in laws! ). Also looking to apply my Jeffs Prime with the G220 when the time comes around again. Any help greatly appreciated.

Colin
Old 30 September 2008, 04:35 PM
Mike Murphy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Colin, it's a very easy machine to use, can use right up to speed 6 (max) without fear of any major paint damage. Speak to Rich at PB, he'll give you the best advice for what you need. I got Lake Country pads with mine and they're really good.

If you want to try before you buy, give me a shout and you can pop up to Stirling and give mine a try out on your (or the outlaws) car

regards

Mike
Old 30 September 2008, 04:56 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

Given how well you keep your car, I would suggest an annual polish with 85RD to nip out any wash marring, and the use of the machine to apply the Prime. Thus, I would suggest either the Basic or Advanced Kit on our site (I would recommend the Advanced version as most Scooby owners find they need the small pads to get into awkward areas), choosing Lake Country CCS pads (polishing and glazing will be required). In terms of technique, the 85RD is shown on this thread...

https://www.scoobynet.com/car-care-3...d-machine.html

...while the Prime simply needs to be worked in at speed 2-3 using a glazing pad until almost dry. Give me a call if you want to go over anything in more detail.
Old 01 October 2008, 09:30 AM
C_WRX
Scooby Regular

Nice one Colin, you've definately caught the bug !!

So, am I right in saying that the polishing pad is used with the 85RD and then the glazing pad to apply the Prime (I have a porter cable if that makes any difference)?
These are the same products I've been using on all the cars I've worked on (except my own) but have applied Prime via the German app pad by hand - is machine better even in this case ?
Old 02 October 2008, 08:59 AM
COLZO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cheers guys. Probably looking at next spring before I get one but looking to get as much info as possible.

Cracking guide Rich.
Old 03 October 2008, 01:48 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by C_WRX
Nice one Colin, you've definately caught the bug !!

So, am I right in saying that the polishing pad is used with the 85RD and then the glazing pad to apply the Prime (I have a porter cable if that makes any difference)?
These are the same products I've been using on all the cars I've worked on (except my own) but have applied Prime via the German app pad by hand - is machine better even in this case ?
All correct! Prime by machine or hand is equally good. You can cover more ground in less time with the machine, but there is no difference in the final finish regardless of the application method.