Notices
Car Care Discussion on how to keep your pride and joy looking at it's best.

what pads do i want?

Search this Thread

Old 02 September 2008, 06:31 PM
exvaux
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what pads do i want?

decided i need to start taking care of the car,had it 2 years and really dont clean it as much as i should,reading all the various guides etc and as im a lazy sod decided to get Basic G220 Dual Action Machine Polishing Kit- Polished Bliss Car Care and Detailing Kits
but what combination of pads do i need,cars cool grey if that makes any difference
Old 03 September 2008, 01:42 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by exvaux
decided i need to start taking care of the car,had it 2 years and really dont clean it as much as i should,reading all the various guides etc and as im a lazy sod decided to get Basic G220 Dual Action Machine Polishing Kit- Polished Bliss Car Care and Detailing Kits
but what combination of pads do i need,cars cool grey if that makes any difference

colour of the car won't make a difference, how many defects need to be removed and the manufacturer of the paint do. in general heavier defects, needs a heaver cut. but put a cutting pad anywhere near honda paint and it'll melt at the thought it's that soft. so you'd go for a softer pad and lighter polish combo. stick it on scooby paint or vag paint and you'll have to spend a lot more time on it.

i'd go for the lake and country 1 x light cut and 1 x polishing. used this combo on both my porta cable (us version of g220) and also on my rotary. gives cracking results. I also like the megs soft buff pads. all really comes down to personal preference. i've been through all sorts of pads and settled on either of the above. hth. give Rich a ring and he'll see you right.

Last edited by V4JDMSTi; 03 September 2008 at 01:44 PM.
Old 03 September 2008, 03:16 PM
exvaux
Scooby Regular

car was resprayed 2 years ago all over but and please dont shout at me its been cleaned 3 times since,was clayed and polished last summer but the guy that did it swore he wasnt doing the car again so i guess that means a lot of defects
Old 03 September 2008, 04:12 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by exvaux
car was resprayed 2 years ago all over but and please dont shout at me its been cleaned 3 times since,was clayed and polished last summer but the guy that did it swore he wasnt doing the car again so i guess that means a lot of defects
chances are the paint will be slightly softer then. resprays generally are. so the pads above will be plenty. what polishes do you plan on using? i recommend the menzerna intensive polish and menzerna rd3.02 to finish down with.

that's not always a bad thing. i detailed a car that hadn't been cleaned for 2 years. there was never any bird much on it because it was garaged day and night. as it hadn't been washed there were very little swirl marks.

if it was clayed and polished properly last year then in all honesty it shouldn't be too bad. a weekend should see you sorted
Old 04 September 2008, 10:54 AM
rossi_p
Scooby Regular

I recently purchased a Megs G220 too and opted for light cut and polishing pads by Lake Country as recommended by both Matt and Polished Bliss.

PB did suggest I get two light cut pads to do the whole car as the pads can clog quickly. You will also need a stiff brush to brush the pads off to keep dust production to a minimum.

I'm going for Menzerna Intensive Polish followed by one to two coats of the Blackfire Gloss Enhancing Polish before applying sealant and wax. This was done by Schumacher (whose detail is on this page) with superb results.

Matt - trust you'r ewell. As I will be plunging into my first machine polish, I may end up calling for a little advice if that is okay?
Old 04 September 2008, 11:12 AM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rossi_p
I recently purchased a Megs G220 too and opted for light cut and polishing pads by Lake Country as recommended by both Matt and Polished Bliss.

PB did suggest I get two light cut pads to do the whole car as the pads can clog quickly. You will also need a stiff brush to brush the pads off to keep dust production to a minimum.

I'm going for Menzerna Intensive Polish followed by one to two coats of the Blackfire Gloss Enhancing Polish before applying sealant and wax. This was done by Schumacher (whose detail is on this page) with superb results.

Matt - trust you'r ewell. As I will be plunging into my first machine polish, I may end up calling for a little advice if that is okay?
yup highly recommend 2 polishing pads as they do clog very quickly. however i find that a spritz of water and no extra polish can help avoid this.

get down tesco and get a pack of the el cheapo tooth brushes. these are ideal for running over the pads as you go to keep the dust down.

yup not bad fella - you? bit busy at the moment. got a few details booked in. ranging from west london to milton keynes. all good though. give me a shout when you're ready and we'll do a detailed paint reading over the car so you know what you've got to play with
Old 04 September 2008, 11:29 AM
rossi_p
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mneame
yup highly recommend 2 polishing pads as they do clog very quickly. however i find that a spritz of water and no extra polish can help avoid this.

get down tesco and get a pack of the el cheapo tooth brushes. these are ideal for running over the pads as you go to keep the dust down.

yup not bad fella - you? bit busy at the moment. got a few details booked in. ranging from west london to milton keynes. all good though. give me a shout when you're ready and we'll do a detailed paint reading over the car so you know what you've got to play with
I'm good thanks... looking forward to some half decent weather to give it a go. Re the paint readings - that would be awesome. When would be good for you?

If you're driving across London to get West, you're more than welcome to stop by for a cuppa.

One other thing, what kind of brush do you use on the arches with the degreaser? Standard kitchen dish brush okay or do I need something softer?