Notices
Car Care Discussion on how to keep your pride and joy looking at it's best.

Been polishing, need some tips though.

Search this Thread

Old 27 May 2008, 02:43 PM
Scooby-kid
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Been polishing, need some tips though.

Hello everyone,

First of all, I am 16 years old and love cleaning Mum and Dads 2.5 Forester XT. We've got quite a few Autoglym products, which on the whole are quite good, however, I need some advice on a few things.
Click pics for a better version.

At the weekend, I spent 7 hours getting to this stage:

wash with sponge I know I shouldn't but I am careful and on a budget,
squigee(SP) and then dry drips with micro fibre cloth,
clean wheels with shampoo/conditionor (2X concentrate than normal),
clean glass with Autoglym fast glass/microfibre cloth,
do the tyres with Autoglym tyre dressing,
dust inside with microfibre cloth,
vacum inside,
polish exhaust with Autoglym metal polish,
polish bodywok with Autoglym Super Resin Polish
Door handles and other black plastic with Autoglym bumper dressing.

What Wax could I use to get the "wet look" and quite a deep shine?
Also, I need something to aply the polish as I was using an Autoglym Perfect Polishing Cloth, but it seems to aborb a lot of the polish. I have been looking on the Polished Bliss site and the German aplicator pads look good value for money - are they any good? whilst on the polishig subject, when buffing off, a lot of the polish turned to dust and made a right mess, is this normal?

The second problem is little spots I cann't seem to remove, from what I understand, a clay bar would get rid of these, what would you recomend for someone who has never used one before?

This is what I am cleaning next week (the red one)

I would be very grateful if anyone, especially polished bliss could recomend what to use and what to do to solve these few problems. And don't forget -on a budget, and a very small one at that.
Old 27 May 2008, 03:15 PM
daves2rs
Scooby Regular

Ok as you mentioned your on a budget so for that colour I would go for some Jetseal 109 (Sealant) for some protection (If you werent on a budget then i would recommend the jeff's kit from PB).

The dusting is caused by too much polish. Remember excess dust is polish wasted so apply thinly and work the SRP vigorously. The german applicator pad is a good buy and the best way to apply and work in.

You'll get a clay bar either from PB or Halfrauds......Go for the quick clay kit from Meguiars as you get some Last Touch included and follow the instructions. This will remove the tar spots or tar remover will also work.

Looking clean otherwise
Old 27 May 2008, 04:17 PM
craig79
Scooby Regular

Clay : Bilt Hamber Auto-Clay (can be used with water as lube)
Tar Spots : AG Tar & Glue Remover or Autosmart Tardis (better value for money)
Wax : Poorboys 'White' Wax from Polished Bliss
Applicators : Lake Country's German Pad again from PB. These can be used to apply both polish and wax (white side for polish; red side for wax).
Craig.
Old 30 May 2008, 09:07 PM
Scooby-kid
Scooby Regular

Cool

Thanks for the help,

firstly, just though I'd let you know that i found in the garage today (in a sealed sandwhich bag thingy) an old Zymol Mit. I dont think it is a wash mit, but it is grey and fluffy I reckon its buffing of polish/wax, does that sound about right?

Secondly, I was wondering if anyone from Polished Bliss was interested in doing me a little bit of discount on around £25 worth of product? Pretty Please?

Cheers,
Scott.
Old 31 May 2008, 01:23 AM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Excellent job mate you really should be very proud off yourself !!

just one thing, you say you are on a budget, dont mean to sound rude or anything but judging from the " nice " pics off the side off house / car mum and dad could surely help you out with the costs off all the required cleaning materials could they not ??!!

I know you are only 16 but would seriously consider making a bit extra pocket money by offering to do some off your neighbours / friends cars, its just a pity you are not closer to myself or I would have been more than happy to pass a bit work your way !!

all the best mate, just hope my own son when he reaches your age will be as keen on cleaning the car as you are !!
Old 31 May 2008, 07:42 AM
C_WRX
Scooby Regular

Good on ya fella.
One tip though, as a quick first "good impression" anyones car I've worked on seems impressed and almost interested in why I don't use a sponge like everyone else....that is everyone else that doesn't know what they're doing to their paintwork! They like the sound of me not inflicting any further swirls/scratches to their car and it really sounds like you know what you're on about. Buy a wash mitt.
Give pb a call, very nice people. You'll never know what they'll say till you ask.
Old 03 June 2008, 11:40 AM
Clark @ PB
Former Sponsor

Some good advice above. Personally i'd have recommended the Werkstatt Acrylic kit but you're on a budget so something like natty's white paste wax would be a good start.

Also, ditch the water blade for drying and get a waffle weave drying towel, the blade will induce all sorts of horrible scratches

As for Discount - you get 5% on orders over £100 and 10% on orders over £250. No Discount on anything below i'm afraid
Old 04 June 2008, 03:03 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

...because we have to offer eveyone the same deal, otherwise folk would rightly complain about unfair treatment!

Nice results above, just shows that good technique and carefulness go a long way to getting good results. To improve your routine, adding in a Meguiars Quik Clay treatment will take care of the persistent surface contaminants, and will serve you well on each car you do. For silver, the Jeffs Acrylic Kit is the best way to go, but if funds are mega tight then Poorboys EX-P would be a cheaper option that would work well (for a reflective look), while Natty's Paste Wax would give you a wetter look (I'd personally stick to sealants on silver though, for best results and impact). If you fancy a chat at any point you'll get us on 0845 4540017 - keep up the good work!