Notices
Car Care Discussion on how to keep your pride and joy looking at it's best.

Water restrictions - what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 01 April 2008, 07:55 AM
wrx450
Scooby Regular

Location: Somewhere in Cyprus hunting down Ferraris, Porsches and that damn Veyron
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water restrictions - what to do?

Over in sunny Cyprus, water restrictions have commenced. We have water supply three nights a week and all day Saturday.

Obviously washing a car will be impossible apart from Saturdays, but even then washing your car is banned and to keep in the spirit of things I will not do.

Alternatives: automated car wash

or Car wash where you wash it manually, by chucking in coins for each stage. The only thing that worries me is the actual wash/soap part where you use a broom that sprays out the soap. i am sure that this process will lead to scratches, but I consider it the lesser of two evils.

Have tried to keep the car clean by using Meguiar quick detailer, but this only works for a few days and is a pain to do, and due to some intermittent dirty rain over the past few days the cars are filthy so they really need a wash.

Any other ideas or should i run with the manual car wash process and live with the fact that I will get some scratches and have to polish more often.
Old 01 April 2008, 08:58 AM
daves2rs
Scooby Regular

Car wash manually could work.......Especially if you can select the kind of function aswell.

Pre-rinse your car first then that will loosen contaminants. Take your 2 buckets from your boot and perhaps use some water from a large bottle or something like that and fill your buckets and some car shampoo. Proceed to wash car with mitt then rinse off again.

Dry car at the side with QD and waffle weave. A bit of a scutter but more than possible. Perhaps a large 18ltr plastic drum (like the ones from water machines) with some prefilled water from your tap at home would do for filling your buckets
Old 02 April 2008, 11:36 AM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

As above, all great advice - you must try to avoid the use of wash brushes, substituting them for a mitt wash instead, after a thorough pre-rinse. Using the brushes will do a lot of damage, and require a lot of polishing out. Quick detailing is also a no-no, as it will undoubtedly result in marring or worse due to the amount of dust/grime on the car. If needs be (and all else fails), just wash the glass at home regularly by hand without the use of running water and leave the paint filthy; at least this way the friction element that causes the damage is reduced.
Old 03 April 2008, 03:24 PM
wrx450
Scooby Regular

Location: Somewhere in Cyprus hunting down Ferraris, Porsches and that damn Veyron

Thanks for the advice. Better to leave dirty or at least rinse once a week than damage with car wash or nasty brushes.

Will try this weekend and see how it goes. Want to get the polisher out as well this weekend to treat and protect the paint as it looks like it will be dirty more often than not. Pictures to follow.
Old 06 April 2008, 08:54 PM
wrx450
Scooby Regular

Got back from a trip to Greece and could not believe the state of the new bugeye that I bought from Alan Bell. Due to very windy days and lots of Sahara dust the car was brown. Also a very light sprinking of rain topped it off.

As stated car wash at home is a no no due to no water.

Went to the local car wash and threw in 2 Euros for six minutes. High pressure warm water got the car sparkling. These things are great. I can see how much better they are than the normal hose.

Then sprayed some of their shampoo on, then rinsed. Another spray of foam and another rinse. All for 4 Euros. I did not touch the car with their wash function which is via a broom or with my own sponge/shampoo. As mentioned the car was dirty from dust rather than from wet roads or rain.

Wiped down with waffle weave. No marks on the cloth, so it was clean despite not shampooing/sponging.

Sunday morning - despite lunch guests for a barbee, I decided to get stuck into it. Those of you who know the car will understand when I say that the paint was in excellent condition. Very slight and fine scrathches here and some swirl marks. Looking at the car you would think that it was perfect, but on an angle there was some slight marks.

Decided to clay the car, as there was some UK gunk here and there and it was not totally smooth.With the help of my 10 yo son and a 10 Euro payment, we knocked it over in an hour. The car was quite clean and only a few areas had some build up.

Lunch break then when guests left got stuck into polishing.

Looking at the condition of the paint I decided to try the easiest approach and the least aggressive and see what the results were. I recently have had two orders from Polished Bliss and located the Jeffs All-in-One. This promised to clean, polish and protect.

Got out the new Megs machine. Took about two hours to totally do the car,with help from the young one. The results are amazing. The paint is so smooth, and looked flawless. Unfortunately it was a grey and windy day and I finished when it was nearly dark and the pictures do not do it justice.

Only as night fell and i put on the fluorescent light could I see a few fine scratches and in a few areas, and only on an angle with the light hitting a certain way. Really have to be a professional though to notice. I have not seen in Cyprus or ever had a car with a finish like this. The Megs machine is awesome, forget hand polishing. I did the wing by hand and there is a noticeable difference.

Did not do the alloys. they probably need an hour unto themselves

Still have to do the racecar. have spent five hours claying it so far and it stil feels rough in various spots. Will then need a good compound, polish and then wax. Probably another fifteen hours i estimate.

Last edited by wrx450; 06 April 2008 at 08:59 PM.
Old 07 April 2008, 11:56 AM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

Nice one, good final method for sure! Nice to see the results, but sounds like plenty more to come!