Notices
Car Care Discussion on how to keep your pride and joy looking at it's best.

Starterkit questions

Search this Thread

Old 24 March 2008, 02:21 PM
Lee_1075
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starterkit questions

After reading the guides here and on the Polished Bliss site, i have come too the decision of buying the following machine:

Meguiars G220 Dual Action Polishing Machine.

Ive looked over the various offers on the PB website when buying the above named machine, but i am confused in choosing other products to give me the best results

I have a classic Scooby in 406 Silver (just been resprayed).The various offers including pads etc are great, but what do i choose

I would require (maybe) a claybar.
Polish,Jeffs Werkstatt stuff?
Applicator pads and buffing pads, is sheep wool any good for finishing?
3M Maskingtape.

What you guys put together as a so called starters setup kit?, going by the paint i have and the machine i would like too buy.

Kind regards, and happy easter

Lee
Old 24 March 2008, 04:32 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

Okay, here is the definitive complete list, pick and choose at will as you may or may not need everything...

Wash (ideally every week)

Advanced Car Wash Kit £67.95 - Advanced Car Wash Kit - Polished Bliss Car Care and Detailing Kits

Meguiars Hyper Wash £21.95 - Meguiars Hyper Wash - Meguiars Car Care and Detailing Products

To apply the foam you will need either a Gilmour Foamaster II if you just have a hose to work with, or else an Auto Brite lance if you have a power washer. Here is the link to the Gilmour...

Gilmour Foamaster II - £49.95 - Gilmour Foamaster II Foam Gun - Gilmour Car Care and Detailing Products

or to Auto Brite for their range of power washer lances (most are ~£45)...

E-Commerce

Clay (once or twice a year, spring and autumn are the best times)

Meguiars Quik Clay £11.95 - Meguiars Quik Clay - Meguiars Car Care and Detailing Products

Polish (after claying, thus done once or twice a year)

For the first major detail to fully correct the paint...

To correct swirls and other moderate defects (fine scratches and etching) on your car, you will need to start out with Menzerna RD3.02 using Lake Country CCS Light Cut Pads (6.5" pads on a 6" flexible backing plate for larger areas, and 4" spot pads on a 3.5" flexible backing plate for more awkward areas). Working at speed 4-5 using moderate pressure should see you able to correct ~90% of the defects with a couple of attempts per panel - to achieve a higher level of correction would require the power of a rotary polisher, which are professional tools that need a lot more time to master. With the bulk of the correction done, you will need to switch to Menzerna 85RD using Lake Country CCS Polishing Pads (again, it's best to have both sizes of pad to work with). Working at speed 4-5 with light pressure should see you produce the maximum possible gloss, which you will then want to seal in using either a wax or a sealant.

Here is a link to a step by step illustrated guide to using these products on Subaru paint...

https://www.scoobynet.com/car-care-3...d-machine.html

and here is a short list of the required products...

Advanced G220 Kit - Meguiars G220 Dual Action Polishing Machine - Meguiars Car Care and Detailing Products

Menzerna RD3.02 - Menzerna RD3.02 - Menzerna Car Care and Detailing Products

Menzerna 85RD - Menzerna 85RD - Menzerna Car Care and Detailing Products

Super Thick & Plush Towels - Poorboys Super Thick & Plush Towel - Poorboys Car Care and Detailing Products

Protect (cleanse every six months after claying, then protect every 4-6 weeks for best results)

JEFFS Werkstat Acrylic Kit £46.95 - JEFFS Werkstatt Acrylic Kit - JEFFS Werkstatt Car Care and Detailing Products

The Prime Acrylic basecoat is a light finishing polish that lays down a tough initial coat of acrylic protection whilst deep cleansing the paint; you should use it once every six months after claying. Acrylic Jett Trigger is a pure spray sealant that should be used to add more gloss and protection every 4-6 weeks; the more layers you build up, the better the finish will get in terms of wetness and durability. The Acrylic Glos is a quick detailing spray, and can be used to help boost gloss, lubricate when drying off after washing and loosen the residues of Prime and Trigger if you find them hard to remove. Here are full instructions for the first major detail with the products...

After washing and claying, start out by applying a basecoat of Prime Acrylic using the white side of the Ultimate German Applicator Pad, and buff off this residue using the blue Poorboys Super Thick & Plush Towel, using a spritz of Acrylic Glos to help loosen the residue if needs be. Then apply a coat of Acrylic Jett Trigger by spraying onto one of the coral Poorboys Deluxe Mega Towels, wiping over the panel and then buffing off with the other Poorboys Deluxe Mega Towel, again using a spritz of Acrylic Glos to help loosen the residue if needs be. Then add a fresh coat of Acrylic Jett Trigger every 4-6 weeks until the time comes to clay the car again. Apply all products to paint, glass and alloy wheels.

And here are some example piccies for you of what to expect...

Old 24 March 2008, 04:39 PM
HUDDERS1
Scooby Regular

hi pb, after applying the basecoat of Prime Acrylic do you wait til its hazed before buffing off? thanks.

mark
Old 24 March 2008, 04:42 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

Aye, if working outside in the sun it's best to work it in until it starts to dry, then buff off immediatey, otherwise it can dry on quite firmly, requiring a good mist with Acrylic Glos to loosen it. If you can work indoors out of the sun then it's fine to leave it the 30 mins as stipulated on the bottle before buffing off.
Old 25 March 2008, 12:01 PM
craig79
Scooby Regular

Good explanation there Rich, that should keep most of
the 'which product do i use' crowd happy.
It's maybe not said enough but i'm sure everyone on
here appreciates the time that yourself and clark take
to give your advice and opinions on the many aspects of detailing.
Just think, life should get a little less hectic for you lot when you eventually go global
Keep up the great work
Craig.