Notices
Car Care Discussion on how to keep your pride and joy looking at it's best.

Polished Bliss: Boxter number 1...

Search this Thread

Old 24 March 2008, 12:15 PM
Clark @ PB
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polished Bliss: Boxter number 1...

It had been a relatively easy start to the week with a couple of maintenence top ups on an Alpina and an RS4 on Monday and Tuesday respectively, but as usual there was bound to be at least one swirly mess before the week was over - and this weeks swirly mess was this Porsche Boxter which arrived on Wednesday morning:

The car was an early model and to be honest, it was looking pretty dull and a bit neglected, especially the wheels which were beginning to blister and corrode quite badly:

Interior wasnt overly bad but the owner is a smoker so most of the plastics were yellow/brown and didnt smell great either!

This one was only booked in for a 2 day correction so i was against the clock the whole time so i got straight to washing it as soon as it arrived. Up first was the pre foam with Hyper Wash @ 60 degrees:

This was left for 5 mins before being rinsed off at high pressure:

I then cleaned up the wheels, firstly using Menzerna 7.5 Tyre and wheel Gel but this got no where with the bonded brake dust (dont think the inner rims had ever been cleaned!) so i used Megs Wheel Brightner cut 4:1. Usually i would avoid this on wheels with open blisters but they could only look better!

Before:

After WB and Tardis:

Arches/shuts & Petrol cap were soaked with Megs Superdegreaser and pressure washed.

The hood was then gently scrubbed after applying Zym0l Fabrique:

I then washed the car with the 2BM and Shampoo Plus and removed some small tar spots with Tardis before putting the car inside for claying.

I used Megs Aggressive Detailing Clay this time:

This was followed by a final rinse and i then dried off with a waffle weave towel and blasted out any excess water with the leaf blower.

Polish

The car was taped up ready for polishing:

Paint readings were taken next and these revealed that the entire car had been resprayed except for the rear bootlid - in this case it was a good thing as Matt @ OYM informs me that Lapis Blue Boxters are one of those cars with "sticky" paint which causes the polishes to clump up and generally be a pain in the backside!

Just as well there was a healthy amount of paint all round as the defects were rather bad!

ah the joys

I started out with Menz 3.02 and an orange compounding pad @ 1800rpm's but after 2 hits i was still left with some RIDS.

As this was a 2 day detail and not 3 the customer knew that not everything would come out in this time frame and there was a likelyhood of around 90/95% correction (especially on paint as fecked as this!). However i was pretty sure i could improve further on the defects left so i moved up to 3M Fast Cut Plus with a mix of Ultrafina:

I worked this @ 2000rpm's as the resprayed paint was very hard:

This resulted in much better correction

Fast Cut Plus is easily my favourite product right now, it works basically the same as 3.02 under all conditions and finishes down just as well (on harder paints anyways) but has at least twice the cut.

It removes considerably more paint though (obviously) and i was removing between 3-4 microns on the Porsche.

For the smaller areas and bumpers i used another new product - a blue 4" compounding pad:

Now, generally speaking light coloured cars or ones with lots of flake in the paint dont usually show up defects all that well but i think you may just get how bad the car was when you look at the pic below

I knew there was blue in there somewhere!

What was pleasing was that the correction showed above was the result of one hit on the panel, so i was making good progress round the car which made a nice change

I aimed to get all the correction work done by the end of the night so carried on round each section:

Before:

After:

Rear Bumper Before:

After:

The bootlid (which was original paint) was very akward and in the end i gave up with the rotary and switched over to the Megs G220 and a 4" compouding pad with FCP (seems Matt was right about Lapis Blue being "sticky"!). A bit of patience with the orbital still gets the desired results:

I finally got all the correction work done by 10pm so i headed home

Day 2:

Thursday morning began with a 2nd machine stage to refine the finish further. As time was still an issue i went for Ultrafina on a 3M finishing pad as you can work it faster than the Menz polishes (in my opinion anyways):

I completed this step by lunch time and as the customer left it up to me to decide what to apply as LSP i went for Blackfire's Midnight Sun, purely for the fact its so easy to use, so this was applied to the whole car and left to cure:

The wheels were then sealed (for all it was worth ) and tyres dressed with Blackfire Long Lasting Tyre Gel.

The Exhaust was particularly bad:

In the end i had to dig out the Dremel and then follow up with Meguiars NXT metal Polish:

I then spent a good hour on the Interior, the process was:

- Thorough hoover
- Shampoo mats
- Wipe down all surfaces with Megs APC 4:1 to remove tobacco staining and remove smell!
- Cleaned leather with APC 10:1
- pedals cleaned with APC 4:1
- Glass cleaned with Megs Glass Cleaner Concentrate
- Leather fed with Zym0l Treat
- Shuts protected with Jeffs Prime Strong

Couple of afters:

The wax was then buffed off before i took the after pics - Total work time = 21 hours

Thanks for looking

Clark
Old 25 March 2008, 08:32 PM
Mike Murphy
Scooby Regular

Top quality finish as always Clark!!

regards

Mike
Old 25 March 2008, 09:41 PM
Schumacher
Scooby Regular

Looks like I missed this thread, but great results!