Notices
Car Care Discussion on how to keep your pride and joy looking at it's best.

keeping swirls at bay

Search this Thread

Old 22 March 2008, 08:23 PM
Nick_Cat
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default keeping swirls at bay

Ok, so I try to hide the swirls on my mica green classic by using BF All Finish Paint Protection and then applying a coat of Meguiars Gold Class wax. This will last for a couple of washes but they always return (I wash using two bucket method and lambs wool mit - the damage was done before I got the car). I was wondering if I invested in some 'proper' wax whether this would be more long lasting. And can anyone suggest a wax for the job?

Many thanks
Nick
Old 22 March 2008, 09:24 PM
Schumacher
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What shampoo do you use? There are plenty out there that will strip finishes.

The Blackfire All Finish Protection won't really hide the swirls; the Gloss Enhancing Polish is better at that.

If you want to remove the swirls, then you need a polish with more cut. Something like Menzerna Intensive Polish will work wonders by hand, but it's hard work. You can even use it with a polisher and the results are very good.

I wouldn't really recommend the Megs Gold Class range. The 'wax' is difficult to buff off, I'm sure you'll agree. Which wax do you have? As far as I know, there are 2 versions of it. If it's the liquid version, then it's pretty much the same as the Blackfire stuff.

You should be doing the following:

1. Wash
2. Polish (Menzerna IP)
3. Protect (Blackfire AFPP).

Then in-between washes use a quick detailer to maintain the finish.

Old 22 March 2008, 09:47 PM
ianch
Scooby Regular

maybe something like this to help hide the swirls is what you need
Menzerna Finishing Touch Glaze - Menzerna Car Care and Detailing Products

probably best applied after the mezerna ip in the checklist done by schumacher
but the most effective way would be to get them polished out proffesionaly

Last edited by ianch; 22 March 2008 at 09:52 PM.
Old 23 March 2008, 11:31 AM
Nick_Cat
Scooby Regular

Thanks folks that's helpful. For shampoo I use Halfords basic stuff as it doesn't have a wax added to it and I assumed, perhaps incorrectly, that it would be mild.
The BF says 'visibly reduces swirls', but it must be short-lived and the Megs wax is the liquid clear coat.
I have tried Menzerna IP applied by hand, but like several others, found it had a limited effect - and I carefully followed the instructions by PB.
Nick
Old 24 March 2008, 12:34 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

If IP hasn't worked well and you have followed the guidance, then we must presume you are one of the unfortunate souls whose paint is harder than the norm for Subaru's. In this case, switching to a glazing approach (hide and fill rather than correct) is the only remaining option unless purchasing a machine is on the cards? With regards to glazing and your current routine, BF AFPP is just a sealant and not a glaze, so will have very limited filling effect. Also, it is important to note that Megs Glod Class contains polishing particles and is not great in terms of durability, so this, combined with the shampoo being used (which will almost certainly be strong rather than mild), likely explains the limited success to date. A better bet would be to switch to Blackfire Gloss Enhancing Polish or Menzerna Finishing Touch Glaze to do the filling, followed by multiple coats of BF APP to seal the finish (try to get several coats on in the first few weeks), and to use a gentle shampoo like Blackfire's own to wash the finish without stripping it. This should see better filling with more durability and less stripping... if that makes sense!
Old 24 March 2008, 05:49 PM
Nick_Cat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Polished Bliss
... if that makes sense!
Yep, it makes perfect sense - order just placed , thanks.

Nick