Notices
Car Care Discussion on how to keep your pride and joy looking at it's best.

hazing

Search this Thread

Old 15 November 2007, 04:07 PM
scoobyhurky
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hazing

Hi
When i wash my car ive noticed that the wash mit (meguires) is leaving like hazing across the paintwork . I noticed it when the sun shined on it just before i started to use my waffle weave that i have only just bought as i thought it was my chamois causing the hazing every time i washed the car.
Its now becoming a pain as i have to polish the car to get rid of them. Im using the two bucket method and im using megs nxt shampoo and polish
cheers
lee
Old 15 November 2007, 04:19 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

How old is the washmitt ? Could try rubbing it across a cd and if it scratches that then throw it !

Oh just a thought - I think that your Megs NXT shampoo might be removing the polish ?

Have a look at A world for detailers... - should find the answers there
Richard

Last edited by richs2891; 15 November 2007 at 04:27 PM. Reason: forgot
Old 16 November 2007, 06:32 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

Which mitt are you using? The lambswool mitt or the microfibre mitt? Reason I ask is the microfibre mitt isn't great on paint, as it does tend to leave fine marring - it is thus best reserved for wheels and arches, etc. If you have a lambswool mitt and this is causing marring, then chances are either the mitt is dirty (nake sure you wash it after every use) or you are washing it with a powder rather than a liquid detergent (powder crystals aren't always rinsed freely and can then cause marring). Any of this ring any bells and could be the cause of your problem?
Old 16 November 2007, 06:39 PM
Bug Eyed Peas
Scooby Regular

Richard.

I read on this forum that you should never wash a lambswool washmitt, just thoroughly rinse after use?

Also is it ok to use washing tablets instead of powder?

Many thanks.

P.S Order coming soon
Old 16 November 2007, 06:45 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

Who wrote that?! Meguiars themselves will tell you never to machine wash a lambswool mitt, but our advice is to machine wash them on a cool setting using a liquid detergent and maximum spin speed of 1000rpm. Once done, they should be hung up to dry in a cool place, and not dried using any heat sources like radiators or tumble driers. We wash our dozen or so mitts like this week in week out with no problems at all, and generally only have to replace each mitt every 3 months or so (but remember they are used day in day out). With regard to the tablets question, I'm not sure - if they dissolve 100% and the load rinses free then fine, but testing this may not be easy. Might be best to do a CD test to check before risking it on your car, as a tablet in a sense is a compressed solid, and may comprise a form of powder content. If in any doubt liquids like Fairy Non-Bio are ideal.
Old 16 November 2007, 11:25 PM
scoobyhurky
Scooby Regular

hi pb
its a meguires lambswool mit ive had it about a year but its only used every other week
Old 20 November 2007, 12:23 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

Are you washing it carefully after every use as discussed above?