Notices
Car Care Discussion on how to keep your pride and joy looking at it's best.

Polished Bliss: Black RS4 Avant Studio Shots

Search this Thread

Old 30 October 2007, 10:32 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Polished Bliss: Black RS4 Avant Studio Shots

This was the final detail of last week (after a RR Vogue and SL55 that took 33 hours between them!), and a tag team effort between Clark and I:

As you can see it was a little bit dirty! The owner collected the car from Audi when it was brand new in September and signed up for a maintainance plan with us, but due to us being fully booked up we could only manage to fit him in now, so he decided not to wash it at all to avoid inflicting any more marring (we saw the car when it was a week old and the dealers had already inflicted some defects) before its first proper detail.

A couple more to show just how dirty it was:

So, onto the wash stage:

The car was foamed with a strong solution of Meguiars Hyper Wash through the AB lance and left for 10 mins, this was then repeated before being rinsed off at high pressure. This removed some of the dirt but not a great deal to be honest.

Wheels after a good blasting from the Karcher:

After the car had been rinsed from the pre-foam, Clark set about cleaning the wheels, this took around 15 minutes per wheel due to them showing signs of brake dust bonded well and truly to the corners of the spokes. Meguiars Wheel Brightener (10:1) was used initially but Clark then felt the need to step up to 4:1 combined with a MF mitt and wheel brush. Neat Wheel Brightener was needed for the inner rims and bonded brake dust. Autosmart Tar and Glue Remover completed the wash stage for the wheels to remove any tar spots. The arches were cleaned with Meguiars Super Degreaser and a brush as these are fabric liners, so normal pressure washing isnt enough to get them 100% clean.

By now, the sun had come out and dried the car so Clark foamed it again before giving it another rinse. The car was then washed with the 2 bucket method and a generous helping of Meguiars Shampoo Plus, and Clark also foamed each panel before washing (as opposed to foaming the whole car) to ensure as much lubrication as possible when removing all the crap off the paintwork (we do this on our own cars and it works great, leaving the paint 99% swirl free for 6 months+ after machine polishing sessions). The car was then rinsed and treated to Autosmart Tar and Glue Remover as the bottom halves were quite rough with tar, etc.

The car was then moved inside for claying as it was getting windy and Clark didnt want to risk rubbing any dust/grit into the paintwork. Meguiars Mild Clay was used, and it shifted quite a lot of bonded contaminants from the paint despite the car only being around 2 months old:

Once done, it was moved back outside, foamed one last time, rinsed then dried, and finally moved back inside for polishing. Defect wise, the car was showing minor swirls, with the odd buffer trail here and there:

As the defects were only light, we used Menzerna PO85RD with a blue 3M finishing pad @1800rpm's, this took care of the swirls no problem at all and slightly increased the clarity and reflectiveness of the paint.

Couple of pics during polishing:

A quick tip (all be it probably an obvious one) for those who are maybe new to rotary polishing, when spurring the pads, we put the head of the machine into a bucket to catch all the polish residue that flies out - this keeps the floor clean too!

The customer wanted Zymöl Vintage as the LSP so this was applied after the car had been dusted down as usual, the wheels were then done with Poorboys Wheel Sealant, the tyres with Blackfire Long Lasting Tyre Gel, the exhaust tips with Meguiars NXT Metal Polish and the glass with Zymöl HD Cleanse. Meguiars Last Touch was used for the final wipe down before the final pics were taken.

Afters:

Old 31 October 2007, 12:08 PM
top_fuel
Scooby Regular

so when will you guys be in south wales?
Old 31 October 2007, 12:39 PM
pippyrips
Scooby Regular

Great work as usual PB- I was due to have my RS4 detailed by Matt from Off Your Marks last week until he had to postpone at the last minute

Good to know what she will look like once Matt is down here
Old 31 October 2007, 08:39 PM
F1 CJE UK
Scooby Regular

very good
Old 01 November 2007, 03:01 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by pippyrips
Great work as usual PB- I was due to have my RS4 detailed by Matt from Off Your Marks last week until he had to postpone at the last minute

Good to know what she will look like once Matt is down here
It'll be the worth the wait, Matt's work is awesome.
Old 01 November 2007, 09:32 PM
pippyrips
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Polished Bliss
It'll be the worth the wait, Matt's work is awesome.
Yep - he sorted my old STI - got to say your work above is outstanding mind
Old 01 November 2007, 09:45 PM
BIG FUD
Scooby Regular

Smile Paintwork...

I have a black 98 sti a few marks inperfections would love this application done on my car please pm me a price many thanks..

m ward (SCCE)

Trending Topics

Old 03 November 2007, 10:15 AM
G00ner
Scooby Regular

Location: Poole - in an Isuzu D-Max LE (Prodrive Version) Gamer Tag "Coin Slot"

Great work, superb car.
Old 03 November 2007, 12:32 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by mark ward
I have a black 98 sti a few marks inperfections would love this application done on my car please pm me a price many thanks..

m ward (SCCE)
Info on the services we offer along with pricing can be viewed on this link...

Car Care and Detailing Services - Standard Services

Old 06 November 2007, 10:08 PM
COLZO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another excellent job on a very nice car.
Old 07 November 2007, 05:29 AM
magicgreg
Scooby Regular

Good job.

Lovely motor, always liked that wheel design on RS4s.

G