Notices
Car Care Discussion on how to keep your pride and joy looking at it's best.

ADVICE ON REMOVING OLD TAR SPOTS AND BRAKE DUST OFF GOLD SCOOBY ALLOYS

Search this Thread

Old 06 October 2007, 04:12 PM
SCOOBIE-GIRL
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ADVICE ON REMOVING OLD TAR SPOTS AND BRAKE DUST OFF GOLD SCOOBY ALLOYS

Hi

Whats best to use to remove old tar spots and a couple of years of brake dust off gold scooby alloys?
The inner part of the alloys are a very dark brown you can't see the gold colour any more. I've had a quick go with poorboys spray and rinse with a bit of success.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Jen
Old 08 October 2007, 02:56 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for me i use meguiers super degreaser - available from polished bliss. cut down to 4-1. if it still doesn't shift it get some bug and tar remover and let it soak. then claybar them afterwards. wash down and then seal with something like poorboys wheel sealant. apply a few layers and it should stop it happening again. providing you keep on top it it.

however there is a but! subaru wheels are never finished very well at all on the insides and you may not be able to clean them up fully. could be a case of a refurb.

do you have any pictures?
Old 08 October 2007, 06:29 PM
SCOOBIE-GIRL
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by mneame
for me i use meguiers super degreaser - available from polished bliss. cut down to 4-1. if it still doesn't shift it get some bug and tar remover and let it soak. then claybar them afterwards. wash down and then seal with something like poorboys wheel sealant. apply a few layers and it should stop it happening again. providing you keep on top it it.

however there is a but! subaru wheels are never finished very well at all on the insides and you may not be able to clean them up fully. could be a case of a refurb.

do you have any pictures?
Cheers for the info

They're my winter alloys - I wouldn't dream of letting my PFF7's get in this state.
I'm going to try again with the poorboys spray and rinse and leave it on for longer, if I get no joy I'll buy some meguiers.
I found even with the poorboys wheel sealant on(4 to 5 coats on the PFF7's), that tar spots are hard to remove.

I'll hopefully get some photos up sometime this week.
Old 08 October 2007, 11:05 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

For removing tar spots, Autosmart Tardis is simply awesome, and makes light work of the job in hand...

Autosmart Tardis

However, I would firstly treat the wheels with Meguiars Wheel Brightener cut 2:1...

Meguiars Wheel Brightener

This is stronger than the usual strength of 4:1, but it will offer more cleansing power than the spray & rinse (it can also be used neat with extreme care and very short contact times of needs be). Always best to agitate the product once onto the wheel using a soft toothbrush or the like... but please wear both gloves and eye protection, as these products are not harmless, unlike most consumer rated products. They work well, but they need respect. If Wheel Brightener and Tardis don;t do the job, it's time to give up and opt for a refurb.
Old 09 October 2007, 04:48 PM
SCOOBIE-GIRL
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Polished Bliss
For removing tar spots, Autosmart Tardis is simply awesome, and makes light work of the job in hand...

Autosmart Tardis

However, I would firstly treat the wheels with Meguiars Wheel Brightener cut 2:1...

Meguiars Wheel Brightener

This is stronger than the usual strength of 4:1, but it will offer more cleansing power than the spray & rinse (it can also be used neat with extreme care and very short contact times of needs be). Always best to agitate the product once onto the wheel using a soft toothbrush or the like... but please wear both gloves and eye protection, as these products are not harmless, unlike most consumer rated products. They work well, but they need respect. If Wheel Brightener and Tardis don;t do the job, it's time to give up and opt for a refurb.
Order placed! Gloves and goggles at the ready!

Cheers
Jen

Last edited by SCOOBIE-GIRL; 09 October 2007 at 04:52 PM.