Notices
Car Care Discussion on how to keep your pride and joy looking at it's best.

spay on polish ?? clay bar ??

Search this Thread

Old 24 September 2007, 08:44 AM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spay on polish ?? clay bar ??

Anyone recommend a particularly good spray on car polish ?? just find this method so much easier than having to rub on etc.

clay bar, thinking off having a go with one off these on my own car, not sure what the particular method is off using the clay bar thou, is there anything I should look out for upon using it ie. can you actually damage the paintwork if used incorrectly ??

once clayed do I have to seal the finish if so what do I use ??

do I rub the clay bar on in a circular motion or what ??

have heard off quick detailer being sold with the clay bar, bit confused as to what exactly this quick detailer is , is it something you use when applying the clay bar ??

lastly !!! how many uses should I get out off the clay bar or is it a do once and seal type off thing for the ownership off the car ??

sorry for so many questions just a bit confused if anyone can advise me a little re the above.

cheers
Old 24 September 2007, 12:25 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jono300
Anyone recommend a particularly good spray on car polish ?? just find this method so much easier than having to rub on etc.
Poorboys quick wax + is great for the price. although which colour car do you have? as some colours benefit from the use of acrylic based products rather than carnuba. some of the acrylics are very easy to use such as the jeffs werkstatt. jeffs also do the carnuba version of this and is also a brilliant product if you want to spend the extra.

clay bar, thinking off having a go with one off these on my own car, not sure what the particular method is off using the clay bar thou, is there anything I should look out for upon using it ie. can you actually damage the paintwork if used incorrectly ??
yes you can damage your paintwork. you can inflict marring. this is ultra fine scratches that make the paintwork look dull. the only way to get rid of maring is to polish the paintwork to bring back the depth and shine. start off with an easy going one such as the megs quick clay kit. spray the detailer on and then rub the clay over in straight lines, back and forth then to and throw. try to do this when it's quiet and you can here the claybar pick up the contaminants. it sounds like little ticks. you'll also feel the difference in resistance between the clay, lube and paintwork. remember to keep the surface well lubed with detailer and work on sections at a time. wipe off the residue with a good plush microfibre.

once clayed do I have to seal the finish if so what do I use ??
ideally you'd polish the paint before sealing. this will remove any marring as described above. depending on how much you want to spend time and money wise depends on what to go for. you can use waxes or acrylic sealants to seal the paint. after claybarring your paint is "naked" and needs covering to protect it. don't leave any time between claying and protecting. if you do you'll have to start over and run the risk of bad etching for bird crap, tree sap erc!

do I rub the clay bar on in a circular motion or what ??
as further up, backwards and forwards and then side to side. no circles as anything to do with circles will inflict the dreaded swirls!

have heard off quick detailer being sold with the clay bar, bit confused as to what exactly this quick detailer is , is it something you use when applying the clay bar ??
yes, you apply the quick detailer not the clay bar. the clay bar just picks up the bonded on contaminants. the qd allows the clay to glide over the paint surface and pick up the tree sap, tar, brake dust etc. it can also be used when drying the car off with drying towels to help the process and to stop drying marks. it will help maintain the finish and protection on your paint.

lastly !!! how many uses should I get out off the clay bar or is it a do once and seal type off thing for the ownership off the car ??
you only really need to clay once every 6 months if you'r looking after your car. so a clay should last an average user a few years if it's looked after. however, if you do the amount of claying polished bliss do they probably get through them quite quickly!

after each use i tend to put the clay in the "clean" bucket with the wash mixture or just plain warm water. it helps to remove the much that the clay has picked up and leaves it nice and fresh for next time. not sure what others do but that's my preference.

sorry for so many questions just a bit confused if anyone can advise me a little re the above.

cheers
no need to be sorry about the questions. if you're not sure it's best to ask. there are some brilliant guides by polished bliss at the top of the car care forum. print them out, have a read and then keep them to hand when you try the processes for the first time also each product in the online shop has information on what it does / how to use it, which is invaluable to those using the products for the first time

If i can be of any help give me a shout Rich and the guys at PB are great for advice too. I had a pretty new Jag to detail the other week and was unsure of how to tackle a particular area, quick call to Rich and it was all sorted.
Old 24 September 2007, 05:54 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Great stuff mate exactly the info I was after, appreciatte that.

cheers
Old 25 September 2007, 01:18 PM
TimGreenuk
Scooby Regular

great read a lot of issues cleared up for me as well there
Old 25 September 2007, 03:02 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

Jeepers Matt, you've got to be one of the most dedicated members on here - top man, and as usual, spot on answers. All I can add is I have written a wee guide on claying which may also prove to be useful...

Polished Bliss - Car Care Advice - How to clean your paint in preparation for polishing or protection

Old 25 September 2007, 03:55 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Polished Bliss
Jeepers Matt, you've got to be one of the most dedicated members on here - top man, and as usual, spot on answers. All I can add is I have written a wee guide on claying which may also prove to be useful...

Polished Bliss - Car Care Advice - How to clean your paint in preparation for polishing or protection

Cheers. I like to help where I can. I wouldn't be able to offer the advice above if it wasn't for people doing the same for me when I started detailing.