Notices
Car Care Discussion on how to keep your pride and joy looking at it's best.

Couple of questions

Search this Thread

Old 12 September 2007, 04:58 PM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Couple of questions

Just a few questions for the detailing experts.

I've been a great Zymol fan for years - Wash, HD Cleanse and Carbon Wax. In fact, need to get some more cleanse and wax in the not too distant future, so will probably be in touch with Polished Bliss

Since buying our current vehicle (Shogun), from new, I've been using the two bucket method, with a cotton wash pad for the paintwork, and a variety of sponges for the tyres, arches, steps, etc as they get pretty dirty as you would expect.

It gets washed pretty much weekly, and being in Scotland, the judicious use of the hosepipe is not a problem

So far, so good, and the paint is swirl free. Just because its an SUV, doesn't mean I don't care about it

Anyway - At a few quid each, the wash pads are pretty much disposable and seem to work well.

However, I've seen a microfiber wash mit and was wondering if it was any better than cotton , or indeed how either compare to lambswool?

The other question is your thoughs on the all in one type washes. Before you all shout "oh my god no!" I agree, some are worse than useless, however, I bought some of the turtle wax extreme nano tech wash/wax stuff recently for another car, and was very impressed with the results.

Great cleaning, but not too harsh, and good beading for a decent amount of time.

Used it on mine a couple of times between waxes and its been very good. Interested in your thoughts.

Cheers
Old 12 September 2007, 05:07 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

i'd use the microfibre wash mitt on the wheels, steps and arches but not on the paint work as i prefer to use the lambswool type.

the wash - waxes are fine if you want to use them. i prefer not to as i get pretty **** about detailing the vehicles. they can leave streaking on the car.

i much prefer to use a normal wash, such as megs hyper wash, then use part of the jeffs werkstatt carnuba kit (the detailer) to help dry the car with. this helps to keep the protection up between waxes too.
Old 12 September 2007, 05:56 PM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

I'm pretty **** about it as well - its probably the only SUV for miles that regularly gets its tyres, plastics and arch liners dressed , but we've got really soft water, so streaking isn't so much of an issue.

Will probably get some lambswool mits for the paintwork though.

Cheers
Old 12 September 2007, 10:00 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

lucky having soft water. it's rock solid round here and unless you keep the car wet until you're ready to dry completely it marks like mad!
Old 14 September 2007, 04:22 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Totally agree with Matt; lambswool mitts are a better option for the bodywork, while the microfibre mitts are ace for wheels, arches, etc. I prefer plain shampoo's for the same reason; a lot of wash n wax or wash n seal type products I have tried seem to leave streaking. If you are using Carbon, a better option would be to wash with a decent gentle none stripping shampoo like Meguiars Shampoo Plus, then dry and quick detail with Field Glaze; this will add more protection and prevent any water spotting (plus it boosts the gloss significantly).
Old 20 September 2007, 10:48 AM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Cheers again

Bought a lambswool wash mit, gave it a clean up at the weekend.

Started to rain before I could cleanse and wax, but quite happy with the resuts