Notices
Car Care Discussion on how to keep your pride and joy looking at it's best.

New to polishing

Search this Thread

Old 21 August 2007, 11:36 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to polishing

Well after discovering that there was a diffrence between polish and wax and that a sponge was only fit to wash children with, I decided to purchase some decent polish, Menzerna intensive, to attempt to de-swirl my car.

After a suitable wash and dry I began to apply the polish by hand (German applicator) but it was proving hard work and I wasn't seeing any positive results.

I then picked up a mates cordless polisher (very low voltage) and began to apply it with that, which was easier and results a little better.

As the applied polished appeared to dry I began to "buff" off the residue but this again proved difficult. The polish was a b*tch to get off and seemed to smear as though it wasn't quite dry.

3.5 hrs later I had finished off the polishing and packed up for the day.

. The swirls are still present although reduced in appearance a little. Any reason why?
. Why was the polish so hard to remove?
. Should I give it another polish before I add any other products?
. Would it be better if it was applied by hand and what pressure/tecnique is recommended.?
Old 22 August 2007, 12:05 AM
bpm1588
Scooby Regular

if im removing polish and i find it hard a spray of meg's last touch really helps.im sure any detailing spray would help.
as for removing swirls if your car was anything like mine get your self a pc7424.i tryed the hand thing and really your wasting your time.have a look at this link to give you a idea of the effort it takes to remove swirls
YouTube - Porter cable 7424 intermediate swirl remover
Old 22 August 2007, 11:21 AM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

. The swirls are still present although reduced in appearance a little. Any reason why?

to get rid of the heavier marks you'll need something like the porta cable 7424 or a rotary. working by hand or "toy" polisher won't be heavy enough to remove them. however lighter marks will be removed with your combo of products.

. Why was the polish so hard to remove?

you've not worked the polish enough, used to much or a combination of the 2. the polish needs to be worked until it's broken down and is clear. you can spray with water or qd when it's gone clear to help you to work it a bit more and get better results.

. Should I give it another polish before I add any other products?

yes if you've not sealed it with wax etc, start again. you'll have contaminants already on the paintwork. degrease, wash and claybar it.

. Would it be better if it was applied by hand and what pressure/tecnique is recommended.?

imo yes. the cheap polishers are fine for taking residue off but won't really do anything to help cut into the lacquer to remove swirls and minor scratches. use a fairly heavy pressure to break the polish down and then get lighter as you work the polish.

where about's are you? it may be worth getting a pro to give you a hand and then maintain it yourself.
Old 22 August 2007, 11:45 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

mneame

Thanks for your comments.

I have given the car another polish (2 hrs ) and used slightly less polish which made it easier to remove.

I can't understand how working by hand will be more productive than a "toy polisher" as I couldn't physically work the polish by hand, to the extent that the cordless one did.

I did work it more this time until it began to break down and clear which was why it was easier to remove I think.

I then added the Blackfire Gloss Enhancing Polish which again was a b*tch to remove but the results are very good.

Well after another 4 hrs today the car is safely in the garage awaiting a final protective layer tomorrow.

It is hard graft this game and the neighbours think I am stupid
Old 23 August 2007, 12:33 AM
funkeymonkey
Scooby Newbie

oh !!!! the cost of perfection !!!! take some pics make lets see how it looks
Old 23 August 2007, 10:31 AM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bob r
mneame

Thanks for your comments.

I have given the car another polish (2 hrs ) and used slightly less polish which made it easier to remove.

I can't understand how working by hand will be more productive than a "toy polisher" as I couldn't physically work the polish by hand, to the extent that the cordless one did.

I did work it more this time until it began to break down and clear which was why it was easier to remove I think.

I then added the Blackfire Gloss Enhancing Polish which again was a b*tch to remove but the results are very good.

Well after another 4 hrs today the car is safely in the garage awaiting a final protective layer tomorrow.

It is hard graft this game and the neighbours think I am stupid
thing is working by hand you can apply more pressure and still move the polishing pad. the cheap polishers won't have the torque to do the same. the more pressure you put on it the slower it will get to the point where it will stop move altogether.

i've not used the blackfire gloss enhancing polish but if it's like the menzerna power gloss compound (very thick and quite gritty feeling, more of a watery paste) then it'll really need to be used with a machine polisher to get the best out of it, hence again being ahrd to remove.

before applying the lsp, rinse the car down and if you can, foam and soak the car, then pat dry. this will remove any dust and other particles that will have settled on the car.

keep going though mate. who cares what the neighbours think!, they'll be jeleous of your car's paint finish when you're done. probably to the point where they'll ask you to do theirs.
Old 24 August 2007, 02:02 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

Just to add a little to what Matt has already said, working any polish by hand to cut paint back is hard work, but Intensive Polish is easy on and off if you apply it using firm pressure until it is fully broken down; this means working it until it's almost fully disappeared, with only a light final buff needed to shift the remaining residue. I'm lost with regard to the Gloss Enhancing Polish; it's always been very easy on and off for me (whether working by hand or by machine), so again, are you applying too much and not working it in well? Also, are you working in the shade, or in full sun?

Trending Topics

Old 04 September 2007, 10:49 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

Well finally finished my detailing.

I am very happy with the results considering that I am a total amature at detailing and I did not have a "mans" polisher.

To recap, I used Menzerna Intensive polish, aplied with a low powered polisher. (2 x passes)

Then onto the Blackfire Gloss Enhancing polish also with the polisher. (2 x passes)

Then finally the Blackfire All paint protection.

In total it took around 9 hrs but I can really see a difference as most of the swirls are gone and the paint is much shinier and glossier.

For anyone that is interested I did find the machine I used very useful and would use one again in the future. (I don't have PC money)

It would appear that I was applying too much of the products and not allowing them to dry, therefore this made the hard work even harder.

My end result is lightyears away from the pro's but lightyears better than I have ever achieved before some "detailing" understanding.

Thanks to mneame and Polished Bliss for your useful comments.

Pics to follow but they are crap (need to learn photography now )
Old 04 September 2007, 11:18 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

Old 05 September 2007, 01:38 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

great work bob gotta love black cars when they've been detailed.
Old 05 September 2007, 01:54 PM
paulcornwall
Scooby Regular

nice 1 mate, looks top.
Old 07 September 2007, 08:28 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

Bloody hell, never mind the 'it's not great' comments, looks like an damn good effort to me. Nice one!
Old 08 September 2007, 09:53 AM
bob r
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the positive comments

I washed the car yesterday for the first time since the above detailing.

OMG how easy did the water run off

After the wash I again applied the protective Blackfire all paint protection and it looks even better. Really good stuff.
Old 10 September 2007, 02:58 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

That's what a lot of folk fail to realise when they question how long proper detailing takes - when a car is properly detailed and then maintained well, it becomes so much easier to keep clean.. and dry off!