Notices
Car Care Discussion on how to keep your pride and joy looking at it's best.

Car wash foam ??

Search this Thread

Old 30 July 2007, 08:37 AM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car wash foam ??

Can anyone tell me exactly what it is that these car wash places use to cover your car in all that lovely soap ?? strange question you may say ??!! but why is it that when I fill the small bottle which I can attatch to the end off my own power washers lance with car shampoo the car will be covered in loads off foam but without actually working the soap into the cars bodywork with the aid off a sponge the car will still remain relativly dirty ie. it does not penetrate the dirt enough to actually remove it where as again this stuff that these car wash places use is enough in itself to actually remove the majority off the dirt without any sponging down off the cars bodywork.

I am off course talking about the type off car wash places where the operator cleans your car with power wash etc as opposed to the drive in thru the rollers whilst it scratches your car type one !!!
Old 30 July 2007, 09:01 AM
Horny Vikki
Scooby Regular

the stuff you think is good

is actually a very harsh chemical, thats why it "works"

the other stuff that you think is not so good, is actually better for your paintwork longterm. although you then have the effects of any brushes scrubbing the paint...... depending on weather or not this is a softwash/hardwash depending...............

makes me laugh when people use these places thinking they are better for the car, when in reality they are actually worse, you can get good quality snow foam that is kind to paint, but your local handwash struggling to make any money with 5/6/7/8/9 lads working on one day does not buy the good stuff

i could get some data but it always falls on deaf ears

its pretty much the fact that to do any kind of touchless washing requires a much stronger chemical to do the job, along with increased pressure to match.

kinda related, ARC/IMO have experimented with touchless washing a few times but although people always flock to them when they are new (purely as a fad to be honest) they always flock back to the old softwash system as they clean the car better, whats also going to be a good comparison is this.

i can also add that my mate runs an ARC/IMO site less then 10 miles from here and they have recently installed a handwash system, basically what happens is this

you approach the wash, if you want a handwash there is a new program, the lad selects the program and foam comes out from the lance, this is sprayed over the car, to be honest this is a SAFE foam, but it removes NOTHING!!!??!! (safe cost effective foam will not work, you need the harsher stuff, somebody doing an expensive detail/valet can incorperate it into the cost, a handwash can not!! )the lads then use a microfibre mit to wash the car by hand, the car is then put on the conveyor track, when inside all brushes pull away from the vehicle, it then gets a rinse/wax inside and a blow dry

you would think this would sound ideal?? he only gets around 9 people selecting this option per week, he did 650 normal carwash programs last week

(btw this is sticky, long story with the account login )

Last edited by Horny Vikki; 30 July 2007 at 09:16 AM.
Old 30 July 2007, 01:00 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get yourself over to detailing world and order an autobrite foam lance that'll fit your pressure washer along with some super snow foam.

have a look at the method you use as well. start by pressure washing the car. no foam just a rinse over with the washer on fairly high pressure (if you can adjust it) then apply the foam with the foam lance. this will leave a nice thick layer of ssf all over your car. leave it to soak for 10 mins. then rinse again. foam again and use the 2 bucket method.

a bit long winded, but once you've got used to it you'll wonder why you've never done it before
Old 30 July 2007, 05:42 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

anyway, where are you based? if you are up north i can give you a barrel of foam for free if you call in some time (costs me nothing sometimes we use it in the george machine to clean seats )

i have plain white or can make some cherry blue, red or yellow up

/horny vikki
Old 31 July 2007, 09:29 AM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Cheers folks really do appreciatte your excellent advice within your replies.

up here in fife , scotland any idea if there is anything like what you mention available to the non trade ie. Halfrauds etc ??

to be honest thou kinda defeats the object if you have to actually sponge the car down even when this foam has been applied to the cars bodywork was just looking for something for the quick no effort washes when I dont have time to give the car the full treatment !!

anyway again thanks so much again really appreciatte the advice / kind offer .
Old 31 July 2007, 09:32 AM
Bug Eyed Peas
Scooby Regular

Two words "Polished Bliss". Based In Aberdeenshire

Ant
Old 31 July 2007, 06:37 PM
Scooby-doo97
Scooby Regular

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mneame
get yourself over to detailing world and order an autobrite foam lance that'll fit your pressure washer along with some super snow foam.

have a look at the method you use as well. start by pressure washing the car. no foam just a rinse over with the washer on fairly high pressure (if you can adjust it) then apply the foam with the foam lance. this will leave a nice thick layer of ssf all over your car. leave it to soak for 10 mins. then rinse again. foam again and use the 2 bucket method.

a bit long winded, but once you've got used to it you'll wonder why you've never done it before

Will this Super Snow Foam not strip wax/polish and other finishes? If it doesn't then I'll gladly buy some.

Trending Topics

Old 31 July 2007, 10:09 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Okay mate thanks for the info / link, had a quick look at this link but as yet have not registered with the forum, are you saying you can buy this autobrite foam lance and snow faom from someone within this site - bit confused ??!!

cheers folks, again really do appreciatte all your expert advice.
Old 01 August 2007, 10:43 AM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

scoobydoo97 - no it shouldn't do but check with the guys on A world for detailers...

jono300 - yup once you register get in touch with the company on there called autobrite. they'll sort you out
Old 01 August 2007, 11:06 AM
jono300
Scooby Regular

scoobydoo97 - no it shouldn't do but check with the guys on A world for detailers...

jono300 - yup once you register get in touch with the company on there called autobrite. they'll sort you out
Okay thanks again will check it out when I get time.

you reckon if I buy the foam itself I would be able to use it with the lance on my own pressure washer as it has a small bottle that can be attached to the end off the lance to fill with car wash stuff.
Old 01 August 2007, 11:53 AM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jono300
Okay thanks again will check it out when I get time.

you reckon if I buy the foam itself I would be able to use it with the lance on my own pressure washer as it has a small bottle that can be attached to the end off the lance to fill with car wash stuff.
yup. another great one to use is meguiers (sp) hyper wash which is available from polished bliss. this doesn't strip the wax and foams up great. even better with a good foam lance. put 3 or 4 squirts into the bottle attachement and then fill with warm water. little shake to mix and away you go

Old 01 August 2007, 02:32 PM
scoobyverysoon
.......*SMACS*...........

Location: Manchester - Official SMACS Cleaning Freak who suffers from OCD

Or buy this - it clips on your garden hose - and only costs 8 quid - then just use normal shampoo - poorboys/gold class etc

Old 01 August 2007, 06:31 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyverysoon
Or buy this - it clips on your garden hose - and only costs 8 quid - then just use normal shampoo - poorboys/gold class etc
]
You're such a tease! Show us the pictures, but don't say where to get one!
JohnD
Old 01 August 2007, 08:06 PM
Robocop
Scooby Regular

Mr Google just found this.
Super Spray - Just clip the hose and spray
Old 02 August 2007, 01:29 AM
scoobyverysoon
.......*SMACS*...........

Location: Manchester - Official SMACS Cleaning Freak who suffers from OCD

I got it direct and ive just noticed my cars on his website

http://www.superspray.co.uk/index.htm
Old 03 August 2007, 04:44 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

Here is our take on things...

If you don't have a pressure washer, a Gilmour Foamaster Foam Gun will fit a standard garden hose and deliver good bubbly foam. Use it with Meguiars Hyper Wash for best results. See here...

Gilmour Foamaster Foam Gun

Meguiars Hyper-Wash

Here is an example of the Gilmour in action...

However, as said above, if you have a pressure washer then speak to the folks at Auto-Brite Direct and get a dedicated foam lance; these produce loads of ultra thick clinging foam, and can be used effectively with Hyper Wash and all other degreasers, all purpose cleaners and shampoos. Here is an example of the Auto-Brite foam lance in action with Meguiars Hyper Wash...

Hyper Wash and other good quality gentle foams will remove a reasonable amount of grime in a safe manner, leaving just a light film behind (even less of a film once you have several layers of protection on the car).

Old 15 August 2007, 10:08 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Okay thanks so much again really appreciatte all the advice, just a little confused as to what exactly a foam lance offers over the standard lance supplied with your cheap power washer/ plastic bottle arrangment ??
Old 15 August 2007, 10:29 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

pretty much the difference in the pictures above.