Notices
Car Care Discussion on how to keep your pride and joy looking at it's best.

What polishing pads for a polisher to polish and remove swirl marks?

Search this Thread

Old 18 April 2007, 08:40 PM
wildfire
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What polishing pads for a polisher to polish and remove swirl marks?

I am trying to remove the swirl marks in my paint and need some advise. I have got a Sealey 6 speed polisher/sander and need to no what pads to use and for what step. I have been looking at Meguiars and they do three types of pad for the polisher. Soft Buff Foam Cutting Pad, Foam Polishing Pad and Foam Finishing Pad.

I have just got some Mequiars STEP 1 - Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner, STEP 2 – Deep Crystal Polish and some Ultra Plush Super Terry Towels as I was told this would do the job.
The car is already washed using Gold Class Shampoo & Conditioner using Lambs Wool Wash Mitt using the two bucket method and dried with Water Magnet Drying Towel. I have also used Quik Clay Detailing System followed by their Gold Class Liquid Wax applied using the foam pads.
Got
Luxurious Lambs Wool Wash Mitt
Shampoo & Conditioner - Gold Class
Water Magnet Drying Towel
STEP 1 - Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner
STEP 2 – Deep Crystal Polish
Quik Clay Detailing System
Meguiars Foam Applicator Pads
Liquid Wax - Gold Class
Meguiars NXT Tech Wax
Ultra Plush Super Terry Towel
Turtle Wax - Gloss guard top coat sealer
To get
Meguiars Foam Finishing Pad
Meguiars Foam Polishing Pad
Meguiars Soft Foam Cutting Pad

Cheers in advance for any advice
Old 25 April 2007, 04:19 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

Those products aren't going to remove swirls; they are essentially paint cleaners and not proper abrasive polishes. My advice would be to go with Menzerna 106FF on the Meguiars polishing pad at 1200-1500 rpm using the zenith method (spread at 700-900 rpm, then 3-4 passes at 1200-1500 rpm, then a final 1-2 passes at 700-900rpm). Repeat this step 2-3 times of needs be. If defects persist then I would drop down to Menzerna RD3.02 using another Meguiars Polishing Pad and the same zenith method. Repeat 2-3 times if needs be, although you really should be using a paint thickness gauge if the defects are deep and you need to make many repeated attempts. After the RD3.02 you might want to finish up with a final go with 106FF and a Meguiars Finishing Pad to refine the finish, depending on your skill level with the polisher (it is quite easy to leave holograms when using RD3.02 and a polishing pad). Hope that helps!
Old 26 April 2007, 08:20 PM
Triggaaar
Scooby Regular

Why won't the Meguiars step 1&2 products work, they are intended for swirl removal aren't they?
Old 26 April 2007, 09:47 PM
wildfire
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Polished Bliss
Those products aren't going to remove swirls; they are essentially paint cleaners and not proper abrasive polishes. My advice would be to go with Menzerna 106FF on the Meguiars polishing pad at 1200-1500 rpm using the zenith method (spread at 700-900 rpm, then 3-4 passes at 1200-1500 rpm, then a final 1-2 passes at 700-900rpm). Repeat this step 2-3 times of needs be. If defects persist then I would drop down to Menzerna RD3.02 using another Meguiars Polishing Pad and the same zenith method. Repeat 2-3 times if needs be, although you really should be using a paint thickness gauge if the defects are deep and you need to make many repeated attempts. After the RD3.02 you might want to finish up with a final go with 106FF and a Meguiars Finishing Pad to refine the finish, depending on your skill level with the polisher (it is quite easy to leave holograms when using RD3.02 and a polishing pad). Hope that helps!
Cheers for the info, i may brave it and try it or get somebody with experience to do it just incase i mess it up and end up with a bigger bill than paying a pro to do it.
Old 26 April 2007, 10:01 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Triggaaar
Why won't the Meguiars step 1&2 products work, they are intended for swirl removal aren't they?
So say Meguiars, but in reality they don't cut the mustard; I have tried them, and compared to other polishes they are next to useless for swirl removal from harder paints.