Notices
Car Care Discussion on how to keep your pride and joy looking at it's best.

Polished Bliss Vs Jaguar XKR (lots of swirls & lots of pics!)

Search this Thread

Old 03 April 2007, 07:00 PM
Clark @ PB
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polished Bliss Vs Jaguar XKR (lots of swirls & lots of pics!)

No rest for the wicked as they say, and following straight on from the 360 at the weekend was a Jaguar XKR (i forgot to take a before pic of the car, but it was pretty clean already!).

The owner was after full paint correction and an LSP that he could maintain himself

So with the car washed & dried, these were the defects i could see in the sunshine:

Not too bad (or so i thought!), just looked like wash marring more than anything so i'd hoped it was be a nice easy detail

The car was generally in very good condition but had a couple of noticeable scratches, one on the nearside rear quarter:

And a couple of quite deep scuffs/nicks in the offside front wing:

These were the only bits that got your attention when looking at the car so i decided to wet sand them before putting it inside for polishing, as it would have been a shame to leave them there, after pics can be seen a little further down the post, i didnt bother taking pics during the sanding as we all know what it looks like by now

Once inside it was obvious that the defects were worse under the halogens than even the sun had shown outside, the car was covered in RIDS and cob-webbing:

Paint readings were taken & the car was a healthy 150-220microns, with the front end showing signs of a re-spray (a very good one too, very little signs of any paintwork at all), although the rear bumper was a scary 45-60 microns - this got HD Cleansed twice and left at that, annoying but i wasnt prepared to take anything abrasive to it and risk striking through

Being Jaguar paint (pretty soft) i decided to try 106ff on a polishing pad
@1500rpm's first to see how much it would correct the paint by, as this worked for us before on an X-Type, but the paint pretty much laughed at this, which surprised me a little...

So i stepped up to IP 3.02 on a Meguiars polishing pad @ 1700rpms and this pretty much corrected every panel to nearly 100% within 2 attempts, although the weather got a lot cooler and the polish started to be a pain in the a$$ at times, resulting in slight holograms as i couldnt finish down properly due to the panels getting a tad hot. It was safer to just follow up with 85RD on a finishing pad later

Here's a couple of pics to show the level of correction achieved:

nearside front wing before:

nearside front wing after:

Nearside door before:

Nearside door after:

bootlid 50/50 shot:

Here's the full Process and the finished pics which follow:

Wash:

- Meguiars APC through AB foam gun
- Rinsed
- Meguiars APC in Arches and on tyres
- Foamed with Meguiars Shampoo Plus & washed with TBM.
- Rinsed
- Wheels cleaned with normal shampoo and water
- Tar & glue remover applied to lower half of car
- Top half including glass clayed with Meguiars Aggressive Clay
- Dried with Poorboys Waffle Weave

Polish:

- Taped with 3434
- Menzerna IP 3.02 via Megs Polishing Pad @ 1700rpms
- Menzerna 85RD via Megs Finishing Pad @ 1200rpms
- smaller areas done by hand & 3.02 with German Applicator Pad.
- Jeffs Werkstatt Acrylic Prime via Glazing Pad & PC @ Speed 2
- Jeffs Werkstatt Acrylic Trigger x 2
- Glass - Zymol HD Cleanse
- Arches - Meguiars All Season Dressing
- Exhaust Tips - Blackfire Fine Cut Metal Polish
- Wheels - PB Wheel Sealant
- Tyres - Blackfire Long Lasting Tyre Gel

Final wipe down with Zymol Field Glaze (force of habit and i think i'm slightly addicted to the smell! )

Afters:

Scratch before:

Scratch after:

Scuffs on wing before:

After:

(sorry for the slightly different angles)

I was very pleased with this one, as i managed to achieve greater paint correction than i had imagined i would, and the owner was very happy too, i pointed him in the direction of Detailing World so he should hopefully be along later