Notices
Car Care Discussion on how to keep your pride and joy looking at it's best.

New car smell, best price for Meguiars oh, and PC question..

Search this Thread

Old 27 February 2007, 02:34 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New car smell, best price for Meguiars oh, and PC question..

Couple of questions in one..

When I picked up my car a couple of months ago, they somehow managed to give it that new car smell, is this simply the result of a really good interior clean or something else?

The best prices for Meguiars products I've seen are actually on their website - anyone seen any improvement on this?

Porter Cable 7424 - I was surprised at how reasonable their cost is in the US. I know those who rant about them will insist they are worth every penny - which I'm sure they are if you use them often enough..

However, are they a worthwhile purchase for someone who will clean a couple of cars every fortnight, and not obsessive enough to get the QD and clothes out every time there is the slightest splash of dirt on the car..

Obviously I'm obessive enough to be considering the worthiness of spending £200 on a car polisher though!

Last edited by Prasius; 27 February 2007 at 02:43 PM.
Old 27 February 2007, 09:44 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

When I picked up my car a couple of months ago, they somehow managed to give it that new car smell, is this simply the result of a really good interior clean or something else?

If it was second hand then some products have fragrances quite close to the new car smell; I always find a decent interior session leaves my car smelling great, so any combination of good quality interior dressings will work often work wonders. You can also get air fresheners with the new car scent!

The best prices for Meguiars products I've seen are actually on their website - anyone seen any improvement on this?

Our Megs prices are generally set a little below the RRP's - for example, the wash mitts are usually £9.95, we do them for £8.95. The Detailer range is harder to discount, but I think we are slightly cheaper on most products (well, at least we were when I last did the pricing checks).

Porter Cable 7424 - I was surprised at how reasonable their cost is in the US. I know those who rant about them will insist they are worth every penny - which I'm sure they are if you use them often enough.
However, are they a worthwhile purchase for someone who will clean a couple of cars every fortnight, and not obsessive enough to get the QD and clothes out every time there is the slightest splash of dirt on the car. Obviously I'm obessive enough to be considering the worthiness of spending £200 on a car polisher though!

Yes; I only use my PC on my own car 2-3 times a year, but when I do the work it allows me to do and the finish it allows me to create make the cost worthwhile. It's also nice to know you have a tool in the cupboard that will allow DIY repair of small parking scrapes and scratches inflicted by the kind folk who use Tesco's regularly.
Old 27 February 2007, 10:11 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the reply - I shall have a look and seriously consider the PC investment!