Notices
Car Care Discussion on how to keep your pride and joy looking at it's best.

NEW - Blackfire Metal Polishes

Search this Thread

Old 02 November 2006, 05:14 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up NEW - Blackfire Metal Polishes

Hi folks, these have been in the store a few weeks now, but I haven't made a fuss yet becuase I needed time to do the descriptions, etc. Now a decent alternative to Brilliant's range of metal polishes! These polishes are licenced by Blackfire from a very well known and respected manufacturuer of aviation polishes in the states (quality assured to commercial aviation standards). The heavy cut is pretty aggressive, so don't be surprised by the amount of hazing it leaves. The fine cut is good for most tasks such as exhaust tip polishing and polished intake pipes, etc, but it's not as fine as NXT, so do a test patch first in case your polished parts are just coated (can cause slight hazing otherwise). The daddy is the show polish - expensive and plain weird when you see it in the tub, but in terms of what it can do it's unbeatable. It's no surprise that the same polish in it's non Blackfire colours has become the firm favourite of Airstream trailer owners in the states - yes we have a lot less metal to polish, but if you have a show car then why not? Here's the formal descriptions that appear on the website...

Blackfire Heavy Cut Metal Compound - £13.95 for 16 oz

This polish is the workhorse of the Blackfire metal polishing system, and the most aggressive product in the whole range. Technically, Blackfire Heavy Cut Metal Compound is a polishing compound, designed to remove serious oxidation crusts, weathering residues and stains from bare metals such as aluminium, brass, copper, magnesium and blended metals. It will quickly remove surface rust from chrome and will buff out harsh stains in stainless steel. It comprises an ammonia-based paste, packed full of microscopic diminishing abrasives, and is formulated to cling to vertical surfaces to make large panel polishing quick and easy. Blackfire Heavy Cut Metal Compound may be applied by hand or machine, although the best results are obtained using the latter. Note that this product is designed to leave a uniform satin finish in readiness for the next stage in the polishing process (gloss enhancement, using Blackfire Fine Cut Metal Polish).

Blackfire Light Cut Metal Polish - £13.95 for 16 oz

This polish is the most widely used product in the Blackfire metal polishing system, and is suitable for most metal polishing tasks. In a single application, Blackfire Fine Cut Metal Polish will remove minor oxidation, compounding haze and light stains, and restore a brilliant shine on bare metals such as aluminium, brass, copper, magnesium and blended metals. It will quickly bring out a beautiful shine on chrome surfaces and restore an a new-like finish on stainless steel. It comprises an ammonia-based paste, packed full of microscopic diminishing abrasives and jewellers rouge, and is formulated to cling to vertical surfaces to make large panel polishing quick and easy. Blackfire Fine Cut Metal Polish may be applied by hand or machine, although the best results are obtained using the latter.

Blackfire Wet Diamond Metal Show Polish - £27.95 for 16 oz

This state of the art polish is an optional last step in the Blackfire metal polishing system, and designed for show n shine entries and concours events. Blackfire Wet Diamond Metal Show Polish further burnishes the brilliant shine left by Blackfire Fine Cut Metal Polish to a stunning, mirror-like finish. It comprises a thick pine-based gel packed full of ultra-fine, ceramic polishing particles. It is these ultra-hard, nano-scale particles that are the secret to the phenomenal shine. Please note that this product gives best results on aluminium surfaces, but can also be used on other bare metals to great effect. Blackfire Wet Diamond Metal Show Polish may be applied by hand or machine, although the best results are obtained using the latter.

And now for some example shots. Nothing too major, just a slightly soot spotted and tarnished pair of pipes on the rear end of a Civic. Treated with the Light Cut Metal Polish via the white side of a German Pad (which are excellent for this type of task I may add).

My preference lately has been to seal polished metal surfaces with Jeffs Werkstatt prime Strong, to help prevent tarnishing and soot spots from reappearing too soon. I've found it gives good protection, and seems to last a fair while, even on exhaust tips.

I'm also going to be testing the Wet Diamond Show Polish shortly, and I'll post the results on this thread - haven't got much polished metal on my car, so might have to do my Brabantia bin instead!

Old 02 November 2006, 05:57 PM
F1 CJE UK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks good PB, thanks for the update I have been very tempted to give it a go, looks like its good stuff (like all the Blackfire range)