Notices
Car Care Discussion on how to keep your pride and joy looking at it's best.

Engine cleaner on paint work

Search this Thread

Old 04 September 2006, 07:59 PM
Joek101
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Engine cleaner on paint work

Cleaned my car engine the other day and i think some of the degreaser has got on the paintwork either side of the bonnet. Just looks like greasy marks one particular is like a run down to the wheel arch. Cleaned the car on sunday then looked it over tonight, the marks are still there. Gave those bits another clean tonight and its still not going.

Anyone any ideas how to shift this grime, its doing my head in cos its ruining my nice clean car!
Old 04 September 2006, 08:37 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

You say it looks greasy, but does it feel greasy, or is it perfectly dry, ie the mark is in the paint? If it was a powerful degreaser then there may be some light etching that would really need compounding to be removed. Any chance of some more info plus a few pictures? Good news is that if it's still a surface problem a friendlier all purpose cleaner like P21S Total Auto Wash will do the trick. So, more info and we can go from there!
Old 05 September 2006, 06:00 PM
Joek101
Scooby Regular

I tried taking some pictures but couldn't really get it to come out properly on the photo. Basically all along the sides of the bonnet on the front panels theres what look like the marks you get when blobs of water have dried on the car, but they won't go when i clean them, though today i do note they have reduced in appearance a bit after yesterdays wash. Also on the bonnet there are a few fingerprint marks i think where ive closed the bonnet with the stuff on my hands.

I tried feeling them and to be honest they didn't really feel greasy but then again i couldn't really tell, but especially the finger marks do look like greasy marks. Any ideas? have i wrecked the paint? (please not cos im well skint at the moment and will be really annoyed! )