Notices
Car Care Discussion on how to keep your pride and joy looking at it's best.

dings and dints

Search this Thread

Old 02 August 2006, 02:33 PM
mgcvk
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default dings and dints

Not sure if this is exactly the right area to post. Anyhow, last week we had a hail storm almost biblical in nature in Hull! It only lasted around ten mins in quite a small area, but I wasn't able to get to the car to get it under cover. The hail stones ( and I am not joking ) were the size of ice cubes but round. My neighbours volvo and bmw seem to have survived unscathed. My scoob however is covered in small dimples indentations, principally on the bonnet and roof. Marvellous! Does anyone know if these can be "popped" out or am I looking at expensive repairs and respray. I haven't contacted the insurance as yet, but don't really want to make a claim. Anyone got any ideas?
Old 02 August 2006, 02:39 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

post a pic
Old 02 August 2006, 05:30 PM
mgcvk
Scooby Regular

I will do when it stops raining. Its just normal rain thankfully!
Old 02 August 2006, 08:45 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

Probably fecked, but as Mick says we might be able to tell better once the pics are up. The problem you face is that even if they can be popped by a dent wizard, you've got a lot to fix by the sounds of it, so it will be pricey. That;s some crappy luck... and some big *** hailstones. I always crap myself when we get a hailstorm up this way - I'm amazed I've never had damage caused by them.
Old 02 August 2006, 09:49 PM
mgcvk
Scooby Regular

I've never seen the like of these. I was in too much shock to take pics of them before they melted. It had been sunny a few mins before. Climate change?? Shows how tinny Scoobs are. Next door's beamer and the volvo on the other side are unscathed. The volvo was under a plastic car port which looks like it has been machine gunned, but the car itself doesn't seem to have suffered. Even our '97 Fiesta doesn't seem to have been injured. Bloody tinfoil scoob - its an '03 wrx as well, not an earlier classic which I know had very thin panels.
Old 07 August 2006, 10:13 PM
mgcvk
Scooby Regular

Okidokes, some pics below. Basically I had to at least wash the car to properly see the dents. I've been putting off doing it, because I didn't really want to look the dings in the face, so to speak! I knew they would be hard to photograph and that is indeed the case. I've pictured the right side of the bonnet, but the left side is as bad. Probably around 20 dimples on the bonnet all told and a similar number on the roof. The roof dings proved impossible to show in pictures though. I've highlighted in red the affected areas, but really dents have to be seen in the flesh/metal.

The metal of the roof in particular is quite flexible and springy and the bonnet is also to a lesser extent. Is there a process of extreme buffing and polishing
that can at least improve matters? As you will see the bonnet isn't really standard, so I would like to keep it. The paint is still intact where the stones hit, just dimpled. I suppose imagine a load of ball bearings had been dropped on your car! Ouch!! Any tips from you fellas greatly appreciated.

Last edited by mgcvk; 07 August 2006 at 10:16 PM.
Old 07 August 2006, 10:31 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

Bugger me. To think hail did that. I'm afraid no amount of machine polishing is going to fix them. Your only option is to speak to a dent wizard and see if they can pull some of them out - this should improve them no end, as they don't look that deep (but granted they are bad enough). Good luck, hope you get a result.
Old 07 August 2006, 11:46 PM
mgcvk
Scooby Regular

Thanks, thats pretty much what I thought the verdict would be. Still, its been helpful to share the upset of my dints. Ta!
Old 08 August 2006, 09:10 PM
mgcvk
Scooby Regular

I know this is a daft question and obviously the condition of a car affects its value. However, if I was looking to trade in at a dealer (still fancy an STi), how much of a big deal would my hail stone dings be? Obviously a dealer with a body shop would be in a good position to put the car straight before resale.
I'm just wondering if I should cut my losses now rather than spend a lot myself putting it right to possibly sell.
Old 09 August 2006, 11:06 AM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

Really not sure mate...depends on the dealer I guess. Some may be helpful, but others would no doubt try to skin you after seeing the defects. No harm testing the water with one to get an idea...
Old 13 August 2006, 11:53 AM
Criss
Scooby Regular

Bloody hell, are you sure a small elephant didnt climb on there?
Old 13 August 2006, 12:11 PM
Rasher
Scooby Regular

as long as they can gain access, ie no double skins they should come out mate
Old 13 August 2006, 01:55 PM
scoobyverysoon
.......*SMACS*...........

Location: Manchester - Official SMACS Cleaning Freak who suffers from OCD
Thumbs up

I can vouch for dent wizzard - I had a large trolly ding which I didnt think would come out

thanks again to rasher for passing the number on to me a few years ago