Notices
Car Care Discussion on how to keep your pride and joy looking at it's best.

1st time the cars are getting a proper clean

Search this Thread

Old 06 June 2006, 06:48 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1st time the cars are getting a proper clean

But what products to buy? Car is now 6 years old, MY00 DBM 95h. Paintwork looking very tired.

Also S2000 in black which has picked up light surface scratches from a 'hand carwash' place.

Neither have been detailed before.

What products to use from start to finish for the bodywork?

I have access to a little buffing machine: http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...2Bcleaning.htm

Have gone through lots of threads and can see that Clearkote Red Moose Glaze + Poorboys Blue Paste Wax is recommended for dark colours wanting a deep wet look.

What shampoo? Clay bar? Scratch removing compound? etc etc.

Cheers,

Bob
Old 06 June 2006, 07:55 PM
WRX300MAN
Scooby Regular

My advice is, for a car that is 6 years old . . .Best prime it with a clay bar . .Otherwise, IMHO, try use Merr auto cream . . The stuff works really good IMO . .To give it a thoroghly deep gloss, i would seriously recommend some P21s wax . . . . .Does the gloss get really deeper . .Me thinks not . . .

No doubt, out friend from Polished Bliss, will step in with some advice any second . . .HOwever, without meaning to offend, i find that all the products he recommends are only the products he keeps in stock and ready to supply, so I'm not sure as to how independent his advice really is . . .However, some odf the products the gentleman recommends, I have not used personally, so have no inclination to dispute his advise - at least for now!

Take care!

Last edited by WRX300MAN; 06 June 2006 at 08:37 PM.
Old 06 June 2006, 09:29 PM
Rasher
Scooby Regular

Smile

HOwever, without meaning to offend, i find that all the products he recommends are only the products he keeps in stock and ready to supply,
I can see your point mate, but I suppose Rich can only comment on the products he uses when detailing other cars. If he stocks the products it would be silly not to use them, dont you think
Old 06 June 2006, 10:45 PM
WRX300MAN
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by Rasher
I can see your point mate, but I suppose Rich can only comment on the products he uses when detailing other cars. If he stocks the products it would be silly not to use them, dont you think
I hear what you're saying . .I am sure he is in no way giving advice with malicious intent, but sincerely means the best for his customers/people on this forum . . . . . .He is, however, running a business, and does not have a monopoly on this forum . . .His advice will not cover the whole spectrum of car care products . . .

For instance . .I don't see any p21s, Merr or Autoglym . . . . . So, I feel i am right to bring this up/question this . . . . . .
Old 06 June 2006, 11:04 PM
Rasher
Scooby Regular

agreed, I have tried the Autoglym range, Mer, Swissol and can honestly say that some of the stuff that I was advised to get especially the Nattys Blue wax is the best stuff I have tried especially for WR Blue cars like mine
The Poorboys natural look for leather and plastic is great stuff as well

Last edited by Rasher; 06 June 2006 at 11:17 PM.
Old 07 June 2006, 12:02 AM
WRX300MAN
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by Rasher
agreed, I have tried the Autoglym range, Mer, Swissol and can honestly say that some of the stuff that I was advised to get especially the Nattys Blue wax is the best stuff I have tried especially for WR Blue cars like mine
The Poorboys natural look for leather and plastic is great stuff as well
Yes . .Natty's Blue Wax . .That has really intrigued me actually, because my mine in WR Blue too . . .But can you , hand on heart tell me it is better than p21S, though not as expensive as the p21 . . .

Thing is, i am trying to move slowly in to the really upmarket products for my Scoob . . Felt that Autoglym is a very consistent/good start, but as far as pure waxes go, i try to go for something with a higher percentage of carnuba . . .Not sure what though . . .

But anyhow . .Natty's better than p21s???

Answers on a postcard!
Old 07 June 2006, 08:06 AM
Rasher
Scooby Regular

But anyhow . .Natty's better than p21s???
dont know mate, because I have never used P21, but IMHO it is better than Swissol Shield for WR Blue

Trending Topics

Old 07 June 2006, 08:36 AM
Rasher
Scooby Regular

found this mate;

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/show...ys+blue+OR+P21
Old 07 June 2006, 11:27 AM
TonyFlow
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BOB'5
I have access to a little buffing machine: http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...2Bcleaning.htm
Bob
That polishing machine will not be man enough to use with a cutting compund/polish. You would be better trying to remove the defects by hand (this will take you some time) IIRC, Menz IP can be used by hand, but you will want a proper "polishing" block.

I would go with the clay bar routine, some form of polish (menz IP is very good, as is Poorboys SSR1/2/2.5). Then you can go for a glaze if you wish (will nourish the paint, and add to a "wet look" shine), some form of sealant (I find Poorboys EXP to be the nuts on a metallic car). You can stope here if you just want silly amounts of reflections, or go on to some wax (i.e. P21s)
to get a deeper gloss.

The sealent will give protection for around 3-6mnths, whereas wax will only last a month tops (hence the advantage of applying both).

The sealant/wax/glaze could all be applied by the machine you have.
Old 07 June 2006, 11:32 AM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

I've got the same colour car - used the Poorboys Polish & Carnuba Wax on it at the weekend and I'm pretty impressed with the results.

The colour isn't as wet looking as I was hoping for, so next time I'll be going for a glaze as an extra step. I took some piccies but they're still in the camera at the mo...
Old 08 June 2006, 08:09 PM
Matty B
Scooby Regular

For me I've always used Zymol products, and find them superb, making my MY93 scoob in Flame Red look as close to ex-showroom shine as you can get. Spent last Sunday using the HD Cleanse first, then the Carnuba Wax, plus all the usual vinyl trim cleaners in and out, door handles, window rubbers etc etc. And the red comes up glossy/wet look too...............with a surface as smooth as a baby's bum.

Matthew
Old 09 June 2006, 11:21 AM
F1 CJE UK
Scooby Regular

With regards to the comment about PB (rich) I would recommend any of the products on his web site as he’s a pro and therefore only stocks the very best products and I think many on here will agree with me on that, I have never seen such great results before I used PB goods however I think he is on his hols at the min ….. Well worth the wait tho

(PB fan club )
Old 09 June 2006, 11:25 AM
F1 CJE UK
Scooby Regular

o and the Blackfire range gives great results (very WET) on my WRX that and a good clay bar will probably give you the look that you are after
Old 10 June 2006, 11:56 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Cheers guys....lots to go on there

Gave the car a quick clean this evening...should do it more often.

(sorry about the pic....was taken in a hurry)
Old 11 June 2006, 12:23 AM
wadsy69
Scooby Regular

Smile Black S2000

Hi
Thought this might be of interest (it's my car!) In similar situation to yourself, scroll down for pics, quite pleased with the result, lot of work mind you!

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5621

Cheers
Martin
Old 11 June 2006, 12:26 AM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

You have to be registered to view
Old 11 June 2006, 05:08 PM
wadsy69
Scooby Regular