Notices
Car Care Discussion on how to keep your pride and joy looking at it's best.

Arrggghhhh what products to get....

Search this Thread

Old 02 April 2006, 03:32 PM
wizgti
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Arrggghhhh what products to get....

Hi, I need to give my car a really good clean that'll also protect for a few months. I've got an 05 STI in crystal grey thats had a really tough winter.

I'm after a really really shiny wet look and I already have some meguiars stage 2 polish which I'm going to use but what else do you recommed?

This shows you what kind of look I'm after...........

From all the guides I've read I'm after a final sealant rather than a carnabu wax due to it lasting longer.

so can I have recommendations on the following please...

Shampoo
Polish (If exceptionally better than the meguiars I have)
Claybar
Sealant
Aftercare stuff

Thanks
Andrew

P.s Polishbliss - how long does your delivery take if I ordered tonight?
Old 02 April 2006, 07:46 PM
wizgti
Scooby Regular

Ahhh go on polished bliss - you know want another customer - give me some advice
Old 02 April 2006, 07:53 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

Lol, delivery is normally within 48 hours, if you order tonight it will be shipped tomorrow by either 1st class or courier, so I would expect you to have it by end of play on Wednesdsay. Not sure from your post whether you will be working by hand or machine, so I'll assume by hand unless I hear back from you to say otherwise. For a shiny, durable look on crystal grey I would go with the following...

Wash

Poorboy's Slick n Suds shampoo
Meguiars Lambswool wash mitt (for bodywork)
Meguiars Microfibre wash mitt (for wheels and inside the arches)
Poorboy's Waffle Weave Drying Towel

Clean

Meguiars Quik Clay (comes with lube, will be available in the store later tonight, after 10pm)

Polish/Protect (assuming all work done by hand)

Klasse All In One (deep cleans, polishes and lays down a tough layer of acrylic sealant in a single step)
Clearkote Microfibre Pad
2 x Poorboy's Super Thick n Plush Towel
Optimum Car Wax (gives a wet, glossy look on silver and grey, can be used as a quick detailer after every wash)
1 x Poorboy's Mega Plush Towel

Hope that helps,

Rich
Old 02 April 2006, 08:07 PM
wizgti
Scooby Regular

I have got a polisher but may not use that depends what you say - it was the one that won awards in auto express a year or so ago! The cars not got many/any swirl marks so I won't need anything super aggresive to polish it so may just use the machine to save on elbow grease while adding the klasse all in one.

Can you just confirm that the products you've recommended to me would be the ones that you'd use on it?

Thanks
Andrew
Old 02 April 2006, 10:29 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

As things stand right now, yes, they are what I would use. I am bringing in yet another new range in 4-6 weeks time that is a newer take on the classic Klasse formula, and I expect the results on silver/grey to be even better. As I write this samples are en route to me from the US for testing - should be able to post some results in a week or two, but as I said, the products won't be available until May - so, depends if you want to press on or wait and see. However, I guarantee the Klasse/OCW won't fail to impress - it's one of my all time favourite product combinations, and what I recently used on Jool's wife's Range Rover Sport (results posted elsewhere in this section). If you don't need much polishing action, I would apply the Klasse by hand - it's really nice to use by hand and just as quick to apply.
Old 06 April 2006, 11:55 PM
wizgti
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Just wanted to say thanks, all the stuff arrived yesterday and I'm impressed with all of them!!! But I was most impressed with...................... the waffle towel - I was really dubious on spending £10 on a towel but it really works! The klass sealant is fantastic - it's worth the money just because you can use it on anything because I always end up getting a bit on the glass/rubber strips and it always takes foofing ages to get it off with normal polish but this stuff is suberb.

A before pic....

And a after pic...

I know you can't tell much difference from the photos but in real life it looks so much better and looks better than when it was new!

Ta
Andrew
Old 07 April 2006, 12:34 AM
killa
Scooby Regular

Nice
Old 11 April 2006, 10:38 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

Happy days, looks great!
Old 11 May 2006, 09:16 PM
Martin Walker
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Polished Bliss
As things stand right now, yes, they are what I would use. I am bringing in yet another new range in 4-6 weeks time that is a newer take on the classic Klasse formula, and I expect the results on silver/grey to be even better. As I write this samples are en route to me from the US for testing - should be able to post some results in a week or two, but as I said, the products won't be available until May
Hi all,

On the back of this .. I'm about to collect a new Crystal Grey car in the next few days - I'm very keen to get the car off to a clean start in life by getting some protection on to it asap after it arrives (bugs are out in force now for one thing).

I was thinking about the four wash items listed in this thread anyway, and also the Meguiars Q Clay as it looks like a good place for a beginner to start.

I don't think I need any polish products as the car is de-wax'd before it's handed over, but does anyone have any recommendations for protecting that nice new clean paintwork and wheels ? I ask as there's that comment about new products here - anyone used these ? or the Klasse stuff ?
Polished Bliss - do you have any recommendations ?
PS. Paintworks is Crystal Grey, wheels are Bright Flitter in case that's relevant.

Last edited by Martin Walker; 11 May 2006 at 09:21 PM.
Old 11 May 2006, 10:21 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

Two options spring to mind that will give awesome results on Crystal Grey. The first is the new range of Jeffs Werkstatt products that feature an updated version of the Klasse AIO formula, plus pure sealant toppers. The products you would need would be Prime (basecoat) and Acrylic Jett Trigger (pure spray sealant). Topping these two with Optimum Car Wax gives an truly awesome finish, and this is what I'm using on my Leon just now - it makes the flake really pop and gives a nice wet shine. The second option is the Blackfire range, specifically the Gloss Enhancing Polish and the Wet Diamond sealant. This would give an even wetter, glossier finish, whilst still letting the flake burst in the sun, although this option will be slightly less durable (six months rather than nine months of protection). Both of the above polishes (Prime and Gloss Enhancing Polish) aren't abrasive, more preparation products that will enhance the gloss, so it's fine to use them on a brand new motor. For the wheels I would get at least a couple of coats of Poorboy's Wheel Sealant onto them asap. If you want maximum protection a basecoat of Prime:Strong (a pumped up version of Prime) will add even more protection. Hope that helps, always happy to chat through the options more if it would help.
Old 12 May 2006, 09:28 AM
Martin Walker
Scooby Regular

Default Crystal Grey products

Hey - ta for the comments
I like the sound of the longer lasting ones to be honest - that should get me towards Winter.
Think I'd better call, some of those must be too new for them to be on the site yet but it looks like a list like -

Car -
Prime
Acrylic Jett Trigger
OC Wax

Wheels -
Prime:Strong
Poorboys Wheel Sealant

Phew. Better try and make use of some of this stuff then - probably start with the wheels as they'll get caked pretty quickly otherwise.

Cheers.

Last edited by Martin Walker; 12 May 2006 at 09:32 AM. Reason: Title missed
Old 12 May 2006, 12:51 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

No worries, phone's on every night 6-10pm, happy to chat about expected arrival dates for the new stuff, etc.