Notices
Car Care Discussion on how to keep your pride and joy looking at it's best.

How to cure chattering and squeaking noises

Search this Thread

Old 27 February 2006, 09:45 PM
ivosh
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to cure chattering and squeaking noises

I get quite a lot of interior chatterng and squeaking on uneven roads in my MY00. I suppose these are caused by rubbing panels against each other and mainly the foamy-rubber-stuff seal against the front glass. The car is not damaged or crashed in any way, it is in excellent condition. Shall i spray it with something or what? Experience, someone? Thank you. ivosh
Old 27 February 2006, 10:01 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

No experience of this issue, can anyone else help?
Old 27 February 2006, 10:32 PM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm running a classic and I have a few squeeks that annoy me at times, what I have done so far is to push a newspaper under the rear door panel that helped to go towards stopping the one and on the centre consol where it connects to the dash I have forced some black double sided tape in the joint that has stopped that from creaking
Next on the list is going round a sharp left corner I get one from the glove box area... yet to put my finger on that one
Try what I did a couple of weeks back get a mate to drive your car and that allows you to explore exhactly where they are coming from without crashing
Old 27 February 2006, 10:34 PM
albob
Scooby Regular

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

The biggest problem here is actually identifying where the noise originates!!
If you can identify the area, a squirt of polish (Mr Sheen etc) may cure it. If the noise is caused by a vibrating panel, try getting some 'blu-tac' between the two surfaces...

alan
Old 28 February 2006, 09:26 AM
Creepy
Scooby Regular

Due to the serious amount of track abuse I have also those squeeking noises from the interior.
What I do is spray all contact aera's (dashboard, door rubbers, seals, ...) with 303 (or armor all), let it soak for a night and wipe off the excess...
Old 28 February 2006, 10:37 AM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

I've been using the blu-tac method too and its been quite a success. most of my rattles now come from behind me so it's a little difficult to pinpoint where they are coming from - although I did identify the parcel shelf as major culprit.

When I was replacing the rear speakers I managed to snap the flimsy wooden cover getting it out - and for the few days it was removed the rattles were significantly less, when I got a new one fitted they were back so it came out again and I blu-tac'd the high points of the metal shelf and along the back near the screen. it much better now. The plastic trim housing the rear seatbelts was causing a few too, there was a clip missing from each side so it wasn't being held as tightly as it should.

some other stuff that is quite handy is that double-sided foam tape that you use for mounting styling parts like aero mud flaps (splash guards) - get it from motor factors for a few quid.

Most of my rattles now are due to the lack of dynamat in the front doors - that and the knackered electric window...
Old 02 March 2006, 06:58 PM
ivosh
Scooby Regular

Thank you all!