Notices
Car Care Discussion on how to keep your pride and joy looking at it's best.

Recommendations for Red 97MY ?

Search this Thread

Old 25 February 2006, 02:26 PM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Recommendations for Red 97MY ?

My Scoob is Red - looks fantastic when RED - not quite the same when faded to pink

I have found Zymol Cleaner Wax does the job of bringing the colour back but it starts fading again after 1-2 weeks...

I just had some touch up work done on other paint damage and got the painters to have a go at the general paint surface - I guess from the debris that they used a cutting compound and machine to do the work - It looked good... But the next day signs of pink were appearing again I used the Zymol cleaner wax and got the colour back then a top coat of Turtle wax clear over the top, did all the black trim with 'back to black' & she's still looking gorgeous after a week. What is the best way to keep the red looking red and the black as black?

Also they only hand painted the damaged areas (all fine brickwork scrapes due to me misjudging walls by 2-3 mm ) the finish is that bad that I feel I could have done better myself - What is the best way of levelling off the thick paint, runs and bubbles left in the 'touched up' areas? -T-Cut? - at least its all red now - no white stripes on the corners

cheers

Mick

Cheers
Old 26 February 2006, 12:17 AM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mick, that sounds terrible - runs and bubbles? WTF? The normal way of touching in by hand is to clean out old wax, blob the paint in, let it dry, wet sand the area (3000 grit) until the new paint is flat, wash the car, compound the sanded area, polish the sanded area, then finally seal with wax/sealant. T-cut will work, but it's going to take a lot of work to flatten the blobs. Sounds to me like you really need to consider a professional detail to get it back to rights - then looking after it will be easier. Old red paints oxidise quickly when not properly protected, and that's the pink you are seeing. My advice is to sort the touch in's either professionally or using T-cut, then use the following product combination - Clearkote Vanilla Moose Glaze (applied by microfibre pad, buffed with plush towel), Clearkote Red Moose Glaze (applied by foam pad, buffed with plush towel) and finally two colats of Clearkote Carnuba Moose Wax (applied by foam pad, buffed with plush towel). This will restore the red and add a decent layer of protection, thus preventing rapid oxidation. Repeat every 4-6 months to keep the car looking spot on.
Old 26 February 2006, 04:33 PM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Thumbs up

Thanks Rich.

they had a few other jobs to do - straighten a bonnet, fix some trim etc & had quoted £250 + VAT so I guess they just did what they could in the time for the price... I asked about coding the mirrors whilst they were there with the paint he said he'd phone back - the only call I got was to say the car was ready - without coded mirrors...

Anyway considering my mates quote for getting his silver bumper panel back to new condition was £400 - I suppose I couldn't expect much more...

cheers

Mick
Old 27 April 2006, 02:48 PM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Question

Rich - just checked your website for the Clearkote products you recommended - I couldn't find them Do you still stock those - or do you have an alternative recommendation for my car now?

Cheers

Mick
Old 27 April 2006, 05:15 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

Aye, stopped doing the Clearkote products (supply chain issue), shame as they were awesome (I'll still be using them myself, will get them from Alex at Serious Performance from now on). However, I've got replacements for red, the first is the Blackfire range (polish then sealant) - I'm yet to test it on red myself, but I've seen pics, and it looks as good as the Clearkote combination - very wet and very rich. The next choice is under waps just now, as it's another new brand for us that will be revealed in two weeks time. I'll be testing the products on a red motor this weekend, but the pics I've seen on the US forums make me think it may be even better than the Blackfire. We'll see, full write ups in due course.
Old 27 April 2006, 05:36 PM
wah
Scooby Regular

Location: Stockport Cheshire Xbox Gamertag: Scooby WRX SMACS Member

typical I get the Clearkote stuff and something else better comes out for the red lol Oh well, washed the motor again today just a was and dry and it looks spot on again
Old 27 April 2006, 06:56 PM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Wink

Hey Wah - if you want to sell on your old 1/2 bottles of the clearkote let me know LOL

Mick
Old 27 April 2006, 11:17 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by wah
typical I get the Clearkote stuff and something else better comes out for the red lol Oh well, washed the motor again today just a was and dry and it looks spot on again
I'll still be using the Clearkote products on red cars that I do - it's hard to beat in terms of ease of use and end results. Trust me, it's not been cast aside because of it's ability, just because I struggle to make anything selling it!
Old 27 April 2006, 11:39 PM
Mick
Scooby Senior

Wink

don't tell him that! - you've done me out of my cheapo cast-offs
Old 28 April 2006, 05:00 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor