Notices
Car Care Discussion on how to keep your pride and joy looking at it's best.

What best for a black impreza?

Search this Thread

Old 22 February 2006, 01:51 AM
frayz
Essex Area Moderator
Support Scoobynet!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What best for a black impreza?

Hey there,

This is a great new addition to the forum.

What would you recomend for a pearl blue/black impreza. I currently use the Meguiars system including the quick clay and their NXT tech wax.

Im so far happy with the results but being a bufty boy, the car can never be bufty enough.

Also after seeing the cool thread with the lotus, my friend has a stunning lazer blue example and i would like to know what you would use different on the lazer blue paintwork than the silver looking one in the thread.

Cheers

Frayz
Old 22 February 2006, 09:58 AM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Frayz, what I could do with are some piccies - I've not worked on many Scoobies (or Lotus's for that matter!), and it would be helpful to see the colours in the flesh. Pearl blue/black on the same car? On flat black I generally love Menzerna FMJ, but when there's a flake in the paint Poorboy's EX-P topped with Poorboy's Natty's Blue paste wax is awesome, as it gives a wet, glossy look whilst still allowing the flake to sing out in the sun. I'll do a google for some pics of the lazer blue Lotus paint and post some more thoughts later, but if you get chance to put some pics up that would be helpful.
Old 22 February 2006, 11:04 AM
frayz
Essex Area Moderator
Support Scoobynet!

Here, hope these help a little, sorry i dont have anything better at the moment,

This is not my mates one but its exactly the same

Old 22 February 2006, 11:15 AM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

Wow that does look good, currenty use PS21 on my black WRX and while it gives a great deep wet look shine - which I want it does not seem to last very well. Does the Poorboys natty last any longer ?

Cheers

Richard
Old 22 February 2006, 12:23 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

Ok, great pics, here's my five p's worth (all advice assumes you are working by hand - if not say so, as there are some machine only products that would work really well). On the black Impreza I'd go with one of two choices, depending on whether you want a rich, wet look or a shiny look with mental reflections. For rich and dripping wet, I'd polish with Clearkote Vanilla Moose Glaze, then seal with Poorboy's EX with carnuba and finally top with Poorboy's Natty's Blue (which is more durable than P21S). However, if you want a shiny and insanely reflective look, I'd polish with Menzerna Acrylic Jacket and finish with Menzerna FMJ. This is one of the very best sealants available today, and a single two coat application typically lasts 6 months, even through winter.

As for the Lotus, again two choices, depending on the desired look (although both will still allow that beautiful flake to sing out). For dripping wet and glossy, I'd go with Clearkote Vanilla Moose Glaze, followed by two thin coats of Poorboy's EX-P topped with Natty's Blue. For shiny and reflective, I'd go with the same products outlined for ther Impreza - Menzerna Acrylic Jacket topped with Menzerna FMJ. Both Menzerna products come with an applicator pad and a good quality microfibre towel, making the price more reasonable.

Old 22 February 2006, 01:40 PM
frayz
Essex Area Moderator
Support Scoobynet!

I think i prefere the dripping wet look, what would you say is better?

How much will those products cost posted to Essex?

Also will it matter that the car has lots of coats of NXT tech wax on it? Will this have to be removed first with a different product or will these glaze's go straight on?

Yes all my polishing will be by hand although i do have an electric buffer ive never used it as im worried i might do more damage than good
Old 22 February 2006, 01:54 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

The Clearkote Vanilla Moose Glaze isn't a true glaze, it's actually a solvent-based polish, so it will strip the old wax layers away no problem. The Menzerna Acrylic Jacket will do the same, but uses ultra fine abrasives instead. I can't really say what is better, but I prefer the shiny and ultra reflective look on black, so I'd go with the Menzerna - I've posted pics of our C2 elswhere in this section, have a look and see if you like it. Postage to anywhere in the UK is £3.50 on orders over £30, delivery within 48 hours by courier. The Clearkote/Poorboy's combo would cost ~£35, while the Menzerna combo would be ~£41 - check the webbie for the exact prices, as you might want to add on applicators/towels etc. For ref, the Vanilla Moose and Acrylic Jacket should be applied using a microfibre pad, everything else by foam pad. I recommend our super thick n plush towels for removing polish residues, and our mega plush towels for removing wax/sealant residues. Both Menzerna products come with an applicator and a buffing towel.
Old 22 February 2006, 02:38 PM
frayz
Essex Area Moderator
Support Scoobynet!

Sounds great, i'll definitly be having myself an order, if you think the super reflective menzerna is better i'll trust your judgement.

Would this also be your choice for the lotus or would the lotus be better as a wet look?

Thankyou for your quick replies, this is a great addition to the site.
Old 22 February 2006, 03:44 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

My pleasure. For the Lotus, I would go with the EX-P/Natty's - this is because EX-P does an amazing job of letting the flake sing out, and the Natty's doesn't mute this in any way. Flakey and glossy - perfect!
Old 23 February 2006, 06:07 PM
willy
Scooby Regular

Well, I`ve done Supertourings Sti way back as a donation to the Tsunami appeal and agree about the EX-P looking great.
Car had the following,
Wash,clay,
SSR2.5 with cuting pad
SSR1 with polishing pad,
Clearkote Vanilla Moose
EX-P.
Bold n Bright and the engine, tryes and wells.

Old 23 February 2006, 09:41 PM
Dave_68
Scooby Regular

As I'm a Black STi man also I'd be interested in the same system, but I have vinyl graphics on my car (pic below) will the polishes have any detrimental effect to the vinyl?

Old 23 February 2006, 09:44 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

The Vanilla Moose is very gentle (most of the polishing is done by solvent based cleaning agents rather than abrasive particles) so it should be ok. However, I would do a spot test first to make sure.

Loving the pics above... very good finish for EX-P alone. A coat of Natty's Blue would finish it off a treat.
Old 26 February 2006, 10:18 AM
Little Miss WRX

Black is the worst and best colour. It's got a blue/green/red/gold fleck in it which looks fantastic (the blue and green are more prominant than the red and gold), I love the look of it when I have finished cleaning:

http://littlemisswrx.fotopic.net/c872641.html

But half an hour later it'll be dirty again.

Looks fecking hot when clean though! I had a paint protection put on the car when new and I use their cleaning products which were given as part of the package.
Not a bad result I think, if anyone can suggest better then I am all ears?

Last edited by Little Miss WRX; 26 February 2006 at 10:27 AM.
Old 26 February 2006, 11:44 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

Looks really, really good - probably the best finish I've seen on here yet. Most paint protection packages are sealant based rather than wax based, hence why you've got so much clarity and the flake is singing out. Stick with it until it runs out, then switch to a good quality sealant like Menzerna FMJ - results will be similar, as will durability. Be wary of carnuba's, as most mute metallic flakes (although they do look wetter). The exception is Poorboy's Natty's Blue, which looks great on black metallics when applied over a couple of thin coats of Poorboy's EX-P.
Old 27 February 2006, 08:46 AM
Little Miss WRX

Thanks for that. Good to hear that kind of feedback from someone who is skilled in car care.

I am rather **** with looking after it and wash her every weekend ensuring I use the products in the order they advise me of. I usually spend around 3 hours minimum washing her. I even make sure I clean all around the calipers and behind the wheels.

It rained today and she is covered in dirty rain marks.

Can you get those products in Oz?
Old 27 February 2006, 12:42 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

Pretty sure you can get Poorboy's gear down under, not so sure about the Menzerna products - I'll check with my supplier. Have a peak at the suppliers list on www.poorboysworld.com and check.
Old 27 February 2006, 12:43 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

Here you go...

http://www.waxit.com.au/
Old 28 February 2006, 09:13 AM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

Like the car Little Miss WRX, looks sweet - first black MY06 I've seen, seems to be the best colour as well (or I could be biased- as I always buy black cars !!).
Know what you mean abaout cleaning black and then it raining and getting rain marks,
Dont suppose there is anything out there that can reduce them ?

Richard
Old 28 February 2006, 09:27 AM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

Not much can be done about water spots from rain... other than a quick detail if the car is still clean. A lot depends on where you live... if your rain is loaded with salts then the problem is worse. Up here in the NE of Scotland, most of our rain is low in salts, and we rarely see bad water spotting.
Old 01 March 2006, 09:37 AM
Little Miss WRX

Hey Richard, thanks for the compliment, I certainly think it's the best colour to have it in.

When it rains here the rain is loaded with dirt etc and the car is caked, hence why I clean her so often although with the paint protection I am not so paranoid. It's the hail that I am worried about!

Thanks for the links PB, I'll be needing supplies soon.