Notices
Car Care Discussion on how to keep your pride and joy looking at it's best.

Example Detail - Audi S3

Search this Thread

Old 21 February 2006, 03:27 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Example Detail - Audi S3

I attended a rolling road day last November at Star Performance, and as a favour to Jim (the owner), I detailed his S3. I apologise in advance for the quality of the photos - I left my camera on auto mode and it seems that it didn't like the dull conditions. The car is only 2.5 years old, but it has only been waxed once during that time, although it is washed regularly. Overall, it was in a state - dull paint, lots of minor swirls, more serious scratches on the bonnet and rear bumper, and loaded with tar spots and other bonded contaminants - the paint felt really rough when I ran my fingertips over it. Jim kindly washed it the day before, to allow me to work on a dry car (important if you are using a buffer).

Process

1. Whole car clayed with Meguiars clay, using Cleakote Quikshine as lube and wiping with heavyweight waffle weave microfibre towel (this took 2 hours!).
2. Two year old vinyl stickers removed, using hair dryer and fingernails (took another hour!).
3. After masking off, whole car polished with Poorboys SSR1 applied via white polishing pad with Porter Cable machine polisher. Residue removed with work microfibre towels. Bonnet redone with Poorboys SSR2.5 then SSR1 to get rid of more serious scratches.
4. Menzerna Full Molecular Jacket (FMJ) applied by hand using foam pad, and wiped off with buffing microfibre towel. This pure sealant is awesome - easy to work with, a really deep wet shine, and perfect winter protection.
5. Wheels quick detailed with Clearkote Quikshine, tyres dressed with Poorboys Bold n Bright.
6. Trims dressed with 303 Aersopace Protectant.

In truth, it could done with another half day to get rid of more serious scracthes on the rear bumper, and the exhaust tips needed some work, but I ran out of time. I would also of liked to have added another layer of FMJ, but what you see below took 6 hours alone. Maybe next time!

Last edited by Rich @ PB; 22 February 2006 at 12:16 AM.
Old 23 February 2006, 05:36 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

dont you dress under the arches????
Old 23 February 2006, 10:20 PM
Rich @ PB
Former Sponsor

Usually yes, but on this occasion the owner washed the car the day before and failed to clean 'em out, and as we couldn't use water in the workshop (not good on a greasy floor) we decided not to do them. Normally I jet wash out the arches, apply an APC if they need more work (and rinse), then dry and dress with either 303 Aerospace Protectant or Poorboy's Bold n Bright.