Notices
Bugs / Feature Requests Archive This is a read only forum containing old policy topics.

WHAT ON EARTH has happened to the speed of the site?

Search this Thread

Old 31 January 2007, 04:39 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Default WHAT ON EARTH has happened to the speed of the site?

Some pages are taking longer to load now than they used to when I was on a 56kb connection

Is this deliberate, so we have to sit looking at the advertising, (which, incidentally, loads imeadiately), or is it die to the huge amount of advertising the site now carries?

If neither, what the hell is up with it?

It's not my computer, as all other sites I use, load instantly.

Alcazar
Old 31 January 2007, 06:13 PM
beamer
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same here
Old 31 January 2007, 06:30 PM
sandycam
Scooby Regular

hi having the same problem but the most anoying bit is when i try to post sometimes it just seems to stall? Sometimes it posts, next time it times out.
Old 31 January 2007, 06:41 PM
D.K.1
Scooby Regular

I have got this too, really slow most of the time
Old 31 January 2007, 06:45 PM
WRXshaneWRX
Scooby Regular

YER THE NEW VERSION NEEDS A DECAT AND REMAP but seriously it is very slow!!! and id rather have it back to the good old speed and not looking so good than looking good and running slow...

while im here how come the front page is all about newage only!!!!grrrrr get some classics on there admins please
Old 31 January 2007, 07:20 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Ah, so it's NOT just me then?

THERE'S progress: more adverts, slower speed, less content, JUST like cable TV

Get it sorted, Webby, PLEASE, it's painful.

Alcazar

Took 69 seconds to post this
Old 31 January 2007, 07:22 PM
stressymare
Scooby Regular

yep its slow for me too

Trending Topics

Old 31 January 2007, 08:14 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

sorry to contradict, but I find it no slower than the original site....
Old 31 January 2007, 10:20 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alcazar

I would hardly call an ad banner (for Scooby related products) at the top of the page, and a google adsense links box at the bottom of the page a "huge amount of advertising"???? In addition, this hasn't changed since before the style update. So, please, back off on the clever comments. Not everyone is out to get you!

--

right, enough of that. Yes, there is a definite slow down, and we currently have the resources of our hosts, about 7 freelance developers around the world, and the vBulletin staff looking at the absolute ideal way to optimise everything.

We've taken a massive traffic hit since the launch as people have been flocking from all over the net to have a look. This is great, but it - of course - has an impact on us. The servers have, however, coped very well so far, but not as well as we'd like.

Should be solved within 48 hours.

Simon
Old 01 February 2007, 09:40 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by webmaster
Alcazar

I would hardly call an ad banner (for Scooby related products) at the top of the page, and a google adsense links box at the bottom of the page a "huge amount of advertising"???? In addition, this hasn't changed since before the style update. So, please, back off on the clever comments. Not everyone is out to get you!

Simon
Yeah, sorry Simon, my apologies. I re-read what I posted this morning and it did read a bit snide.

I think the advertising comment was because I had over a minute as each page loaded, to stare at each advert, seeing what it did, who it was advertising etc etc. I usually ignore them unless I actually want one of the advertisers. I've been around here so long the ads are just background to me.

I'm NOT taking back what I said about cable TV though: it really IS crap at the moment!

Alcazar
Old 01 February 2007, 09:49 AM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by webmaster
Alcazar
Yes, there is a definite slow down, and we currently have the resources of our hosts, about 7 freelance developers around the world, and the vBulletin staff looking at the absolute ideal way to optimise everything.

We've taken a massive traffic hit since the launch as people have been flocking from all over the net to have a look. This is great, but it - of course - has an impact on us. The servers have, however, coped very well so far, but not as well as we'd like.

Should be solved within 48 hours.

Simon
Very slow for me too most of the time, making it almost unuseable, having a brew between each post on threads is keeping me awake at night

Serioulsy though, to me it looks like since the upgrade there has been far fewer posts, SN seems to be very very quiet this last week, maybe more people are having a look, but less people are posting?

Im happy with the new look and feel (and full width, thanks) just the speed of the site generally

One other slight gripe is now you have the nice fancy graphics (nice touch) scoobyshootout etc when people make one line posts who have these graphics in their username part, im having to scroll a hell of a lot just to read a page full of posts, which is a pain on a laptop without a scroll wheel (with a mouse it isnt too bad, as im getting in practise )

Has the default now changed to 30 threads per page ? It is how I normally have it set to, but takes forever now with all the extra graphics under usernames