Notices
Bugs / Feature Requests Archive This is a read only forum containing old policy topics.

Webmaster ----- Editing Posts....

Search this Thread

Old 17 March 2004, 09:49 PM
sti555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Webmaster ----- Editing Posts....

Just noticed you can't edit your own posts after a certain amount of time

Stupid idea, can't edit/update urls & people should be able to change their posts & opinions... rather than everything been set in stone

Will save me pm'ing the mods all the time when I need to change stuff...

GGGGrrrrrr..... Booo Hoooo lol!

Any chance we can go back to as we were please, may tempt me to become a SN+ member otherwise I will consider selling the scoob & buying an evo lol!

Cheers

Tim
Old 18 March 2004, 02:39 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

It must be a membership thing because I can edit my posts

what is a pain in the ar4e is not being able to edit other peoples posts to see how links have been written or where pics are being linked from, I know you can right click and view properties but it aint the same.
Old 18 March 2004, 03:16 PM
douglasb
Scooby Regular

Wurzel - Clicking on Reply achieves the same result. This displays the message that you are replying to as a quote and shows links, etc.

Doug
Old 18 March 2004, 08:43 PM
CharlieWhiskey
Scooby Regular

I thought we had persuaded them this was a BAD idea?

How are you supposed to edit the first post in a Meet thread to give the correct date and time for a meet when it has changed????

Totally illogical!
Old 19 March 2004, 06:43 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Looks like it's changed - I could certainly edit my old posts up until a day or two ago, now they seem to become permanent rather quickly.

Any official comment? There are, after all, plenty of legitimate reasons to edit old posts - details of meets (as above), security issues (removing dates, places, number plates), retraction of drunken embarrassment - plus my own personal interest which is changing entries in the NSR photo competition (which has been very successful to date!).
Old 19 March 2004, 07:03 PM
Nevetas
Scooby Regular

Indeed you always used to be able to?
Old 19 March 2004, 10:04 PM
sti555
Scooby Regular

Come on simon/shaun any info please

Give the power back to the people lol!

Trending Topics

Old 20 March 2004, 04:22 PM
SDB
Scooby Regular

Hi Guys

The idea behind this was to stop a number of cases we've had of arguments ensuing, and then people going back and changing what they'd posted to make the other person look stupid. Or to change information they've posted in order to cause problems.

It is a difficult call. Usually any genuine reasons for editing are not essential, more like spelling mistakes, etc. But I do agree the "meet" example is another good reason for being able to edit them.

I would welcome suggestions, and of course will be willing to look into anything that works.

All the best

Simon
Old 20 March 2004, 06:04 PM
Nevetas
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Simon de Banke

I would welcome suggestions, and of course will be willing to look into anything that works.

All the best

Simon
Simon,

What about, you can edit after 5/10/15 minutes of your post. After that you cant edit???
Old 20 March 2004, 08:34 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

What about allowing people to edit posts, unless they abuse that ability in the way you describe in which case revoke it on a per-user basis?

It seems unfair to me for the majority to be denied a useful feature just because it's abused by a few.
Old 20 March 2004, 09:06 PM
BexTait
Scooby Regular

Location: Drink, drink, wherever you may be, we are the drunk and disorderly (owner of 5 fairy tokens)

Originally Posted by AndyC_772
What about allowing people to edit posts, unless they abuse that ability in the way you describe in which case revoke it on a per-user basis?
But would that be easy to do? Perhaps if you want to update say the date/time of a meet or something like that, then get a mod to do it?
Old 22 March 2004, 10:01 AM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can currently edit for up to 30 minutes after you've posted.

Asking a mod is a good idea, as long as it isn't a regular thing. Moderators will not be able to edit thing just because of a spelling mistake, or something else.

But I am sure they wouldn't mind if it was for reasons as suggested (changing date of a meet, etc). Please just respect the fact that they may not be able to respond immediately.

All the best

Simon
Old 22 March 2004, 02:02 PM
Nevetas
Scooby Regular

Sounds good to me
Old 22 March 2004, 09:42 PM
scoobchrissy
Scooby Senior

maybe but not to a lot of us
Old 23 March 2004, 10:51 AM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by webmaster
Asking a mod is a good idea, as long as it isn't a regular thing. Moderators will not be able to edit thing just because of a spelling mistake, or something else.
Simon
no offence this isnt school! is there a particular reason or event that has made you decide to take this away? it must have been fairly bad i guess? if that was the case wouldnt it be better to take the power away from the offenders rather than taking it away from all? it must be easier, and im sure that mods have more important thing to be doing than editing our posts, i always have typos in my posts cus im dislexic. but when i see them i like to go back and edit them so i dont look stoooopid. and also the meet thing is a biggie. or is it more involved than just a few people changing what they have said to make you look stupid?

jamo

Last edited by Jamo; 23 March 2004 at 10:53 AM. Reason: cus of lots of typos, good job i could edit eh! lol
Old 23 March 2004, 11:21 AM
ex-webby
Orange Club

jamo

The problem, is that once it's happened, it's happened. It's like putting an alarm on your house after you've been burgled. This is a preventative measure, based on a number of things that have happened in the past.

In addition, you state "this is not school", and then go on to say you want to go back and change your typo's so you don't look stupid

Nobody will think you're stupid because you made a spelling mistake, or a typo in your post. We're not creating classic literature here, we're just chatting.

You have half and hour to change typo's, so if it really is that important to you, just take a quick look after you've posted and all will be well

All the best

Simon
Old 23 March 2004, 06:33 PM
The Fixer
Scooby Regular

Come on guys, the "edit" function is required for various forums, I particularly use it for the "for sale" section to update the list of parts as they are sold. Its also useful too for copying url's from links for pictures and web sites. Not good to give it then take it away.....

Conrad
Old 23 March 2004, 07:05 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Not good to give it then take it away.....
So you now want us to take away the assurance that the problems highlighted above will not happen, after we've given it?

We have to weigh up the benefits against the negatives unfortunately, and I feel this is worth it, for the very minor and rare negatives it creates against the (still rare but) major negatives, allowing editing can cause.

All the best

Simon
Old 23 March 2004, 08:45 PM
CharlieWhiskey
Scooby Regular

If a post is argumentative it should be locked by the mods, that is what they are there for, not housekeeping for 'trivial' edits.

To deprive everyone of the right to edit their posts just because of the remote possibility of some idiots having an argument (where the editing will STILL be obvious) is a bit like restricting cars to the speed limit just because some people exceed the speed limit!

I still think it is a ridiculous idea.

Last edited by CharlieWhiskey; 23 March 2004 at 08:47 PM.
Old 23 March 2004, 08:55 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

CharlieWhiskey

We're NOT stopping people from editing their posts. You can edit within half an hour of posting. This is a very common feature.

The only legitimate reasons I can possibly imagine for needing to edit after this period of time is for people to change meet dates, which I've agreed and would think the moderators would not mind doing this on request.. I know I wouldn't.. and if you want to change what items are for sale in a large for sale list. This surely happens so rarely it's not even worth talking about, and I can't see it being any more effective than a simple post saying what has sold so far.

If this protects us against the potential downsides, then I'm still for it.

You can still edit within half an hour!

regards

Simon
Old 23 March 2004, 09:34 PM
CharlieWhiskey
Scooby Regular

This surely happens so rarely it's not even worth talking about, and I can't see it being any more effective than a simple post saying what has sold so far.
That is exactly the point I have made about the argueing problem.

It must be SO rare that it is virtually insignificant!

It is obvious if a post has been edited so therefore it cannot be seen as a 'problem' if some one has changed what they said.

There is ALSO the case of someone deliberately editing their own post (say to delete a photo, comment etc.) following a request on PM or email or even phone call from someone who did not want to be identified or whatever. This would save the workload of your moderators who have a hard enough time coping with the rest of their admirable voluantary tasks.

However, editing for the reasons you admit are legitimate is quite normal and not 'rare' as you profess.

I know you have a reason for thinking this an I am honestly trying to uphold the benefits to the community so please rethink this policy.

Chris

Last edited by CharlieWhiskey; 23 March 2004 at 09:46 PM.
Old 23 March 2004, 10:18 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Chris

Fair enough, regarding your last sentence. I promise I'll revisit it with shaun.

All the best

Simon
Old 23 March 2004, 10:37 PM
CharlieWhiskey
Scooby Regular

Thanks Simon
Old 24 March 2004, 08:43 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Indeed, thanks - looking forward to your final decision.

FWIW, given that messages are tagged when they're edited with the time and date of the edit, it's painfully obvious when someone's changed their post after someone else has commented on it. People can always quote each other too if they want - quotes don't get edited.
Old 28 March 2004, 01:03 AM
muddy
Scooby Regular

Post Editing posts

Since this feature has been removed it has caused me several problems:

The main example:

The JAPS show Stoneleigh - thread is in Track and National Days.

The Venue has changed - now due to me not being able to edit the change I have had to post a new reply with the venue change.

In my experience, people generally don't read the whole thread they will read the original write up and then reply saying that they would like to attend the said event/show, missing out all the stuff in between.

I'm worried people will turn up at the wrong venue and blame me.

I look forward to you replies.

Craig Mudd
SIDC Show Organiser
craig@sidc.co.uk
Old 28 March 2004, 01:38 AM
IanW
Scooby Regular

Muddy,

Report the thread to the Moderators by clicking and ask them to edit it for you.

I dont have powers in that forum so I cant oblige for you.

Ian
Old 29 March 2004, 01:18 AM
CharlieWhiskey
Scooby Regular

I am part way through updating the Muppet League Table and i spot a mistake: I cannot edit it because it is outside the majic 30 minutes!

It is NOT something the Mods can fix because it means re-posting the entire table!!!

When are you gonna realise this is a crap idea?
Old 29 March 2004, 01:50 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Just my tuppence worth:

I noticed this when I was organising a rolling road day.

When I first started the post I could edit it, so as a when information turned up, I could edit the original post as the information would have been missed if it was posted further down, or even to start a new thread altogether!

Initially, I could up date running lists, reserve lists, location information, include maps, useful information such as local petrol stations & food places, etc, etc.

The facility was taken away before the actual day, so I could only post the full list of runners on page 3 or 4! A bit of a pain, as I'm sure people were only checking the first post for information, and the later pages for questions and conversation!

Same goes with For Sale ads, in the past if you post that the item is sold, say as the last post, but still on the first page, you will still get the odd "Is this item still for sale?" type of question!

A clear concise edit on the first post, would stop persepective buyers looking silly for not reading the whole post, and save the sellers time from answering the same questions over and over.

Please bring back the edit facility!
Old 29 March 2004, 08:12 AM
ex-webby
Orange Club

CharlieWhiskey

I would appreciate it if you would drop the cocky attitude on this thread, and the other one in policy. It is reducing the weight of your argument in my eyes and making think you are less likely to have a point.

I have told you I will look into this and revisit it with Shaun. After telling you this, I do not relish reading your comments suggesting that we simply do not understand.

I have also told you the solid reasons why this feature is in place, so we are not just suddenly "gonna realise this is a crap idea?" as it is a procedure put in place for solid and genuine reasons, NOT just a crap idea.

I will not discuss this any further until Shaun and I have made a final decision.

Regards

Simon
Old 29 March 2004, 09:11 AM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Jus to add another reason for allowing editing of posts is to modify url's. I've re-configured my webspace for example, so any of my old where I've shown step-by-step guides will be wrong.

Is the problem really so bad that we have to remove this function?

Stefan

Quick Reply: Webmaster ----- Editing Posts....