Notices
Bugs / Feature Requests Archive This is a read only forum containing old policy topics.

Search Facility

Search this Thread

Old 22 October 2003, 10:18 AM
Buckrogers
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Two things:

1. I'm cr@p at remembering the number of days in a month. Could this not be programmed to only display the correct number of days for the month selected? (Should be an easy one, but I'm no programmer!)

2. Searching on any more than one word seems to be poor. The results seem to contain either words. Is there a way to request that if more than one word is entered, results must contain;
Exact phrase or must contain both words?

Thanks for any help in advance.
Old 22 October 2003, 11:27 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

I back up the 2nd comment!
Old 22 October 2003, 11:49 AM
supertouring
Scooby Regular

Agree with comments. Poor searching facilities only means that it is easier to post a new thread rather than find an existing one.
Old 25 October 2003, 09:11 PM
Zhastaphs corner hogger
Scooby Regular

You I 3rd's the 2nd comment.

A good example is, right now I think I'm leaking boost, so ideally I want to type the phrase "Leaking Boost" and get only posts with the phrase "leaking boost" in it. Or without the quote and gets posts that have both words in, but not necceserially together. Right now I get posts with the word leaking OR with the word boost. So to try and find what I want is nay on impossible, so I'm gonna have to start a new thread

Oh, and by the way can I pleeeeeeeeeeaaaaase have my password back so I can post as me again

Love to all

(Once woz) Mighty Zhastaph
Old 01 November 2003, 02:38 PM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

You got my vote - the search facility sucks big time.

As a programmer of these sort of things I am guessing that the standard search supplied with this board has been disabled probably due to it overloading the server and instead the cobbled together mess you see when you click the search button has been put in place instead.

Well in my opinion it's close to useless. At the very least it should allow ANDing of the search words. Also it would be really simple to do things such as simply replace 31st September with 30th September behind the scenes rather than flagging it up as invalid.

The rest of the board is great (just so you don't think I'm a complete moaning whinger) so come on guys give this board the search facility it deserves.

I would really like to hear a comment on this from anyone on the technical side of Scoobynet.

Over to you.

tiggers.
Old 01 November 2003, 04:38 PM
IanW
Scooby Regular

As a programmer of these sort of things I am guessing that the standard search supplied with this board has been disabled probably due to it overloading the server and instead the cobbled together mess you see when you click the search button has been put in place instead.
Ther is no standard search that has been disabled on the board, as the board was written by Simon de Banke.
Old 02 November 2003, 12:40 AM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Then might I politely suggest that he write a new search function that is up to the standard of the rest of the board software. The current function doesn't even look the same as the rest of the board let alone function like it.

If Simon wrote the board software then it really should be a couple of hours of a job to dramatically improve the search function.

Currently Scoobynet is like a reference book with no index i.e. damned frustrating.

regards,

tiggers.
Old 11 November 2003, 11:10 AM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Any chance the webmaster could actually respond on this thread.

Not much point having this forum if the people with the power aren't going to comment.

Am I asking too much?

Even if you just want to tell me to go away - at least then I'll know you've read the thread

Regards,

tiggers.
Old 11 November 2003, 11:23 AM
Buckrogers
Scooby Regular

Ditto the above.
Old 12 November 2003, 04:53 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

I've pointed this out to the web'amster. Hopefully he'll be able to reply, but it would take client side scripting and still require checking at the server.

In the meantime

30 days have September, April, June and November, all the rest have 31 with the exception of February which has 28 or 29 depending upon what mood it is in.

Old 12 November 2003, 05:04 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I will certainly put this on the list of tasks to look at.

Regards,
Shaun.
Old 13 November 2003, 12:05 AM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies.

I've pointed this out to the web'amster. Hopefully he'll be able to reply, but it would take client side scripting and still require checking at the server.
What would take client side scripting - the date checking? If so I beg to differ.

Regards,

tiggers.
Old 13 November 2003, 11:18 AM
Buckrogers
Scooby Regular

web'amster
Shaun is not an web hamster is he? (Just kidding)

Thanks also for the replies.

As stated before, I'm no programmer, and this is a wild stab in the dark, considering I dont know what this bbs sits on (S/W wise), but cant you use an "API" thingy, from Outlook calender to generate day / month information?

If there is a choice or priority for the two requests, the word search matching is much more important then the date request.

Tigger, if you beg to differ, why dont you enlighten us at the same time?

Buck
Old 13 November 2003, 03:47 PM
tiggers
Scooby Regular

OK Bucko,

At the risk of boring everyone else.

The dates can easily be displayed as dropdowns for the day, month and year. Therefore with only 12 months and 31 days available the number of invalid dates is few and far between. If someone does select 31st Feb simply replace this on the server side with 28th Feb before runing the search code. Much simpler than having to validate the date (either client or server side) and tell the user to correct it.

Same could be done for dates between - if the from date is after the to date turn the search round datewise. This is just simpler than redisplaying the form for correction as most of the time the user will just have made a simple eror and the interpretation will be the correct one.

tiggers.