Notices
Bugs / Feature Requests Archive This is a read only forum containing old policy topics.

Un-subscribe from thread ?

Search this Thread

Old 11 June 2003, 03:53 PM
dhayzen
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is there anyway to UNsubscribe from a thread?
I'm getting fed up with emails coming infrom a thread I'm no longer interested in and has clearly got a lot more life in it yet!
Old 12 June 2003, 06:58 AM
sammyh
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

No sorry
Old 18 June 2003, 11:27 AM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

It is annoying. For example, I subscribed to the 'Atkins diet' thread about 3 weeks ago, by accident. Unfortunately, the thread's now run to 12 pages, and I've had to set up a rule to bin the unwanted notifications...

Best way to implement it would be to just issue one notification, which will notify the member that there's at least one post in the thread, but could be more. Then, if the user visits the thread, reads the new posts, and wants to be notified of further new posts, they could re-subscribe.

This would significantly reduce Scoobynet's email overhead, and would be much more practical.

Also, it would help if the notification emails presented a URL which would take you to the new post (or at least the correct page for the new posts).

Simon?
Old 18 June 2003, 01:13 PM
Eagle7
Scooby Regular

i definately agree with MarkO above. A one shot email that something has changed would be far better for us and for your servers!

if we visit again then just reset our flag to say if something changes again to mail us.
Old 19 June 2003, 06:51 AM
James Neill
Scooby Senior

You could do it like other BBS's where you get the notification, but don't get anymore until you've revisted the thread. Everyone logs on so it should be easy to set a flag on a notification object when the thread is revisited and then reset it when a new notfication is set. The flag is then used to determine if the email should be sent.

[Edited by James Neill - 6/19/2003 6:52:01 AM]
Old 27 June 2003, 01:52 AM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Best way to implement it would be to just issue one notification, which will notify the member that there's at least one post in the thread, but could be more. Then, if the user visits the thread, reads the new posts, and wants to be notified of further new posts, they could re-subscribe
This is actually a feature in some BBS's such as vBulletin. You can subscribe/unsubscribe as you wish, but you will only get one notification until you nect visit the forum.

To be honest, given the size of scoobynet, I am surprised it runs on what it does, but I expect there are genuine reasons for the choice of platform.
Old 28 July 2003, 11:59 PM
RogerFord
Scooby Regular

I'm getting REALLY hacked off with this. I must have had 150 emails telling me someone else has posted to the friggin' brakes group-buy thread. There should at least be some kind of warning when you subscribe that YOU CAN'T TURN THIS OFF - YOU'RE GOING TO GET SPAMMED FOREVERMORE...

TECHS - FIX IT PLEASE.
Old 29 July 2003, 12:38 PM
RS2 JIM
Scooby Regular

I too have made the grave error of suscribing to a thread that i'm no longer interested in. However, since i have lost interest there have ben a further three pages of posts to enjoyt and i've recieved every single one via notification.

PLEASE can this be turned off. My e-mail is live and i can't do anything as every two seconds i get another blooming notification. I've had three while typing this!

Needless to say i won't be using the subscribe feature again.

Make that 5 notifications.......

james
Old 29 July 2003, 12:45 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Red face

It is annoying, isn't it. [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Bear in mind that Simon won't fix it though unless he has a lot of pressure (see the sticky thread in this forum).

I found the only answer was to set up a rule in my inbox client to bin the offending notifications.
Old 29 July 2003, 01:10 PM
RS2 JIM
Scooby Regular

MarkO,

Well i've just taken the drastic measures of asking the posters to stop posting on that particular thread.

Having said that i've just got three more notifications.......
Old 29 July 2003, 01:39 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

That'll be a red rag to a bull. 10 people posted just to p1ss me off when I tried that.

You could try RTM'ing a thread and asking a Mod to lock it and start a new one. If it happens enough times, the mods might hassle Simon to set up an unsubscribe option.
Old 29 July 2003, 02:19 PM
RS2 JIM
Scooby Regular

Hmm,
after the inital random posts it seems to have subsided........i hope!

I suppose i could just start giving loads of abuse swearing all the time and advertise companies to get the thread shut?
Old 01 August 2003, 08:36 AM
RogerFord
Scooby Regular

In my opinion, this isn't a feature request, it's a bug.

Sending unwanted email to people's account is completely out of order, and could even make people suffer disciplinary action for "abuse of work email".

There's not even any way to unsubscribe oneself completely from Scoobynet - though I did notice this:

IMPORTANT: If you change your email address, a new password will be automatically generated and emailed to you. Thus, failure to provide your actual email address will render your account useless.

I wonder if that's a way out ... or will it keep sending junk to my original address even if I take this drastic step?
Old 04 August 2003, 01:46 PM
RogerFord
Scooby Regular

Seems to work - if you change your email then notifications go to the new email. So you can either set it to some free account - like hotmail - or just to a non-existent account and re-subscribe to Scoobynet with a new id.

Not much help if you're really attached to your ID, I guess, but otherwise it does the job.

So that'll be the last post from RogerFord, then.
Old 05 August 2003, 08:07 PM
Rog Ford
Scooby Regular

Ha ha ... I'm free! No more notifications! Go on, post as much about Brembo Bl*ody Brakes as you like....
Old 11 September 2003, 08:49 AM
Luke
BANNED

I am registered on a little american Hifi forum... no worries about turning on/off.

It cannot be that difficult.

This board does need some updating....
Old 06 December 2003, 10:14 AM
dhayzen
Scooby Regular

Maybe the BBS software engineers should think about this as a future option, coz it is so annoying [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] receiving loads of emails per week for a thread that is no longer of interest.

It can't be that hard to do surely, they already have a subscribe button...

[Edited by dhayzen - 6/12/2003 10:15:26 AM]