Here's my classic wagon project - Page 4 - ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

Notices
Projects For Serious DIY Car Projects

Here's my classic wagon project

Old 04 January 2018, 06:20 PM
  #91  
MoggyNinja
Scooby Newbie
 
MoggyNinja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Stoke-on-Trent
Posts: 29
Default

Originally Posted by Harris classic View Post
yeah I think I got the same issue you will have to let me know how it goes and how to fix it.
Will do, im going to have the car in the air tomorrow, as ive got an issue with the drivers side rear suspension, so im going to have a look round see if i can spot anything obvious, i'll let you know if i see anything
MoggyNinja is offline  
Old 04 January 2018, 06:21 PM
  #92  
Harris classic
Scooby Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Harris classic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Bournemouth
Posts: 242
Default

Originally Posted by Ravolouso View Post
This thread has been a brilliant read. You've done a great job getting to where you are now. The wagon is looking ace.
Seems like every time you post, you've got it sitting on different wheels.
Are you not going to put it back on the Rays? They looked spot on.
Thanks. Yeah I sold the rays to buy something else for the car and I've recently found them for sale again. Fingers crossed I can try and buy them back as those wheels were 👌. Yeah I've had alot of wheels was planing on keeping the prodrive speedline wheels but they didn't fit over the brakes. Luckily I swapped my classic wheels for the 17 standard wheels.
Harris classic is offline  
Old 04 January 2018, 06:23 PM
  #93  
Harris classic
Scooby Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Harris classic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Bournemouth
Posts: 242
Default

Originally Posted by MoggyNinja View Post
Will do, im going to have the car in the air tomorrow, as ive got an issue with the drivers side rear suspension, so im going to have a look round see if i can spot anything obvious, i'll let you know if i see anything
That will be cool. Mine wasn't as full as yours but has about an inch of water in with the spare wheel. 👍
Harris classic is offline  
Old 06 January 2018, 06:26 PM
  #94  
Harris classic
Scooby Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Harris classic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Bournemouth
Posts: 242
Default

So picked up some apex coilovers Friday just waiting for the lower arms to turn up.

today was spent looking at ways to install the foglight covers. Installed white led dial lights. Will be fitting the covers tomorrow whilst upgrading the light bulbs and hopefully giving her a wash and polish and a Hoover 😀
Harris classic is offline  
Old 07 January 2018, 05:21 PM
  #95  
Harris classic
Scooby Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Harris classic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Bournemouth
Posts: 242
Default

So due to the wind being freezing cold today got as much as possible done. Ordered a new grommet for the steering column. Removed bumper and fitted the foglight covers, adjusted the number plate bracket. Fitted the new night breaker headlight bulbs and bigger scoop.

she still needs a clean but she is looking better.
Harris classic is offline  
Old 07 January 2018, 06:58 PM
  #96  
Cambs_Stuart
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Cambridge
Posts: 1,781
Default

Originally Posted by Harris classic View Post
So due to the wind being freezing cold today got as much as possible done. Ordered a new grommet for the steering column. Removed bumper and fitted the foglight covers, adjusted the number plate bracket. Fitted the new night breaker headlight bulbs and bigger scoop.

she still needs a clean but she is looking better.
Looks Great! Makes me want to get to work on mine...
Cambs_Stuart is offline  
Old 07 January 2018, 08:45 PM
  #97  
Harris classic
Scooby Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Harris classic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Bournemouth
Posts: 242
Default

Originally Posted by Cambs_Stuart View Post
Looks Great! Makes me want to get to work on mine...
cheers mate. It was cold in that wind hands were numb.
Harris classic is offline  
Old 15 January 2018, 05:22 PM
  #98  
Harris classic
Scooby Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Harris classic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Bournemouth
Posts: 242
Default

Didn't do much this weekend to the old girl. Still waiting for the spoilers to be finished spraying. Also for the alloy lower arms to be delivered.

I just cleaned the outside this weekend and removed the subaru from the boot. The girlfriend also decided to clean hers wagon too.



Harris classic is offline  
Old 20 January 2018, 05:35 PM
  #99  
Harris classic
Scooby Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Harris classic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Bournemouth
Posts: 242
Default

So this week my dad finished spray the last few bits. So here are the pics

Sprayed nose cone and rear sti spoilers.
Harris classic is offline  
Old 22 January 2018, 07:33 AM
  #100  
MoggyNinja
Scooby Newbie
 
MoggyNinja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Stoke-on-Trent
Posts: 29
Default

Looking sweet, I never got my car in the air in the end the weather has been to cold, but I seem to have a seal gone on the drivers side rear lights, And I've noticed my rear window spray doesn't work, so I'm hoping as I can here the motor going when you spray, that the water in my boot is a combination of broken seal and the water pipe for the spray has detached its self and is spraying into the boot, as I've found the pipe coming down the passenger side of the boot behind the plastic trim where the jack and wheel brace are, may not be the same issue you have but could be worth a look for you
MoggyNinja is offline  
Old 24 January 2018, 06:41 PM
  #101  
Harris classic
Scooby Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Harris classic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Bournemouth
Posts: 242
Default

Originally Posted by MoggyNinja View Post
Looking sweet, I never got my car in the air in the end the weather has been to cold, but I seem to have a seal gone on the drivers side rear lights, And I've noticed my rear window spray doesn't work, so I'm hoping as I can here the motor going when you spray, that the water in my boot is a combination of broken seal and the water pipe for the spray has detached its self and is spraying into the boot, as I've found the pipe coming down the passenger side of the boot behind the plastic trim where the jack and wheel brace are, may not be the same issue you have but could be worth a look for you
Thanks, no worries I will have to have a good look round mine at some point maybe this weekend. Weather depending though. Cheers
Harris classic is offline  
Old 28 January 2018, 03:36 PM
  #102  
Rick2017
Scooby Regular
 
Rick2017's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Stockport
Posts: 484
Default

Hi Mate nice build you have there.I have a 97 estate.I have a couple of questions regarding the build.Firstly how did youe fog light covers go on in the end?and ive noiticed that you have removed the rear Subaru badge I have done also but want to get rid of the glue residue,what did you use to get the rest of the glue off with? and the two small bonnet vents do the black bits separate away from the trim around it.?Sorry for all the questions by the way lol Do you have any spare interior bits?
Rick2017 is offline  
Old 28 January 2018, 05:19 PM
  #103  
Harris classic
Scooby Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Harris classic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Bournemouth
Posts: 242
Default

Originally Posted by Rick2017 View Post
Hi Mate nice build you have there.I have a 97 estate.I have a couple of questions regarding the build.Firstly how did youe fog light covers go on in the end?and ive noiticed that you have removed the rear Subaru badge I have done also but want to get rid of the glue residue,what did you use to get the rest of the glue off with? and the two small bonnet vents do the black bits separate away from the trim around it.?Sorry for all the questions by the way lol Do you have any spare interior bits?
Hi and thanks. The foglights in the end I drilled 3 holes on the inside of the fog light cover and bumper and got a small m6 bolt nut and some washers. I bolted to the inside of the bumper. It was the only way around losing the bracket space due to the intercooler.
There is still some residue left on the back. But its coming off slowly. I used nail varnish remover. Then some tcut and clay bared the car. It's not completely off as yet but hopefully a few more attempts and some elbow grease it will be gone.

As for the little vents yeah the have a little 8mm bolt undo the and the plate will come off you can then remove the vent if you would like to replace with a scoop. Which I did today
That's the tray under the vent
I may have a few bits lying around in my garage I did have a clear out before xmas and someone did buy a massive job lot off of us but if I can I will try and help. Cheers
Harris classic is offline  
Old 28 January 2018, 05:24 PM
  #104  
Rick2017
Scooby Regular
 
Rick2017's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Stockport
Posts: 484
Default

Hi thanks for your reply that helps a lot what colour is your interior? Half my boot carpet is missing that goes over the sender unit so I'm after one of them.My interior is black and grey.Passenger rear seat that folds down is knackered also the back of it on the boot side of it is damaged.What did you pay for the scoop?
Rick2017 is offline  
Old 28 January 2018, 09:25 PM
  #105  
Harris classic
Scooby Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Harris classic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Bournemouth
Posts: 242
Default

Originally Posted by Rick2017 View Post
Hi thanks for your reply that helps a lot what colour is your interior? Half my boot carpet is missing that goes over the sender unit so I'm after one of them.My interior is black and grey.Passenger rear seat that folds down is knackered also the back of it on the boot side of it is damaged.What did you pay for the scoop?
No worries. I think I've got back carpets black and a white rear bench seat. Front seats are a little different but need to put my sparco seats in. I don't have the rear boot carpet or rear bench seats sorry. The scoop was found in the boot of the 1st classic Scooby. I noticed that the air filter underneath the grill was getting wet so sprayed it up and put it on. Hopefully protect the filter a little better.
Harris classic is offline  
Old 29 January 2018, 10:07 AM
  #106  
Rick2017
Scooby Regular
 
Rick2017's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Stockport
Posts: 484
Default

Hi mate do you have a picture of the carpet bit that goes over the sender unit in the boot please.I think mine is black.If it's ok how much would you be after for it posted
Rick2017 is offline  
Old 30 January 2018, 08:41 PM
  #107  
Harris classic
Scooby Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Harris classic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Bournemouth
Posts: 242
Default

Originally Posted by Rick2017 View Post
Hi mate do you have a picture of the carpet bit that goes over the sender unit in the boot please.I think mine is black.If it's ok how much would you be after for it posted
sorry I haven't got that bit. I've got a black interior floor carpet out of a saloon but nothing for the boot.
Harris classic is offline  
Old 31 January 2018, 09:40 PM
  #108  
Rick2017
Scooby Regular
 
Rick2017's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Stockport
Posts: 484
Default

Cheers anyway 😊
Rick2017 is offline  
Old 12 February 2018, 10:20 AM
  #109  
Harris classic
Scooby Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Harris classic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Bournemouth
Posts: 242
Default

So after a massive issue with being sent and given the wrong coilovers for my car. I've finally got a pair of XYZ coilovers on the car and it's sits nicely.
Harris classic is offline  
Old 12 February 2018, 10:28 AM
  #110  
Cambs_Stuart
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Cambridge
Posts: 1,781
Default

Looking better and better. I've not heard of those coilovers, how does it drive?
Cambs_Stuart is offline  
Old 12 February 2018, 10:56 AM
  #111  
Harris classic
Scooby Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Harris classic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Bournemouth
Posts: 242
Default

Originally Posted by Cambs_Stuart View Post
Looking better and better. I've not heard of those coilovers, how does it drive?
Thanks. Yeah I hadn't have heard of them before. But after the major mess up made by the supplier and the unnesscessary cost of trying to fit them. The supplier gave us a full refund and the coilovers for free. They are responsive and very comfy which has changed the car completely. Only issue I did have is with the passenger rear arch it's obviously been repaired at some point and the lip was bigger so was hitting the wheel.
I got a roller on it yesterday and it cracked and the filler just fell out.
Harris classic is offline  
Old 12 February 2018, 12:03 PM
  #112  
sunny1989
Scooby Regular
 
sunny1989's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: 35,000 ft
Posts: 682
Default

nice job, what tyre specs are you running out of interest?
sunny1989 is offline  
Old 12 February 2018, 06:00 PM
  #113  
Harris classic
Scooby Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Harris classic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Bournemouth
Posts: 242
Default

Originally Posted by sunny1989 View Post
nice job, what tyre specs are you running out of interest?
Thanks. Tyres I'm running are Falkens 215 45 17.
Harris classic is offline  
Old 23 February 2018, 12:30 AM
  #114  
Martianwrx
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Shrewsbury
Posts: 96
Default

Just caught up on your build mate, real nice job you have done!

I'm very impressed with the time it has taken you to get this far, thats a lot of effort over the winter, with all the dark and miserable weather.

What did you use to put the sti spoilers on? Just bolts or tiger seal and bolts?

I cant find a proper guide, im going to have a look at what was used when i take mine off and am thinking about using a foam weather strip type thing for vibration absorption and or some silicone sealer along with using the bolts. I dont fancy using tiger seal.
Martianwrx is offline  
Old 24 February 2018, 11:55 AM
  #115  
Harris classic
Scooby Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Harris classic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Bournemouth
Posts: 242
Default

Originally Posted by Martianwrx View Post
Just caught up on your build mate, real nice job you have done!

I'm very impressed with the time it has taken you to get this far, thats a lot of effort over the winter, with all the dark and miserable weather.

What did you use to put the sti spoilers on? Just bolts or tiger seal and bolts?

I cant find a proper guide, im going to have a look at what was used when i take mine off and am thinking about using a foam weather strip type thing for vibration absorption and or some silicone sealer along with using the bolts. I dont fancy using tiger seal.
Thanks Martin, yeah it's been tough. Just the last final bits to do now.

With the spoilers I used the original fixing bolts. As they worked perfectly. As you have mentioned though there is a bit of rattle when closing the boot from the lower spoiler. May have to find some kind of sticker pads or sealant, but overall they fitted better then expected. I didn't fancy tiger seal either.
Harris classic is offline  
Old 24 February 2018, 05:45 PM
  #116  
Martianwrx
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Shrewsbury
Posts: 96
Default

I managed to find a roll of green weather proof double sided foam. Its not too thick.
I only used a bit on the lower spoiler to create a seal and hopefully stop any water ingress and vibrations. My lower spoiler had all the bolts and is secure.
My top spoiler is an after market replica and doesn't have the top bolt. So i have used two layers and covered more surface area to make up for the fact there is only one bolt each side.

They both seem quite sturdy and look so much better.

In the spring or summer they both need to come off as I found some rust patches that need sorting and the spoilers need a respray at the same time as i fix the rust.

I put them on now as I wanted to check the rust and thought why not
Martianwrx is offline  
Old 02 March 2018, 07:36 AM
  #117  
Harris classic
Scooby Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Harris classic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Bournemouth
Posts: 242
Default

Originally Posted by Martianwrx View Post
I managed to find a roll of green weather proof double sided foam. Its not too thick.
I only used a bit on the lower spoiler to create a seal and hopefully stop any water ingress and vibrations. My lower spoiler had all the bolts and is secure.
My top spoiler is an after market replica and doesn't have the top bolt. So i have used two layers and covered more surface area to make up for the fact there is only one bolt each side.

They both seem quite sturdy and look so much better.

In the spring or summer they both need to come off as I found some rust patches that need sorting and the spoilers need a respray at the same time as i fix the rust.

I put them on now as I wanted to check the rust and thought why not

That's good then so it comes down nicely and doesn't make that horrible ratterly sound.

I see nice work. Yeah they do look so much better then the original wrx ones.

fair enough get it done why the weather's slightly nicer.

Had a snow day yesterday so had to help the Mrs do some bits. Got a nice picture of the old girl in the snow
Harris classic is offline  
Old 02 March 2018, 07:39 AM
  #118  
Fishbowlhead
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Canvey Island
Posts: 358
Default

Hold the phone here. Is that a double hood scoop I spy? Double!

I actually really like that look.
Fishbowlhead is offline  
Old 02 March 2018, 09:46 AM
  #119  
Harris classic
Scooby Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Harris classic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Bournemouth
Posts: 242
Default

Originally Posted by Fishbowlhead View Post
Hold the phone here. Is that a double hood scoop I spy? Double!

I actually really like that look.
It is. Had to put one on due to the air filter being right underneath. And it was gettng soaked in the rain.

cheers it kinda finishes it off I think.
Harris classic is offline  
Old 19 March 2018, 11:58 PM
  #120  
Harris classic
Scooby Regular
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Harris classic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Bournemouth
Posts: 242
Default

So took the old girl for an mot today and she passed with flying colours no advisorys. So I treated her to a much needed wash and wax.


Just a shame about a piece of ice flying off another car and smashing my plate on way home.
Harris classic is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.